Performance exhaust is hard to find!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318 TBI
Hi, new here! I recently picked up a 91 D-150 that I'm slowly gathering parts for, trying to beef it up a little... the exhaust leaks like mad, so I'm thinking I might just redo the whole thing, I don't have a lot of bills, so I have a pretty regular flow of disposable cash. I live in Nebraska, so there's no emissions testing that I know of, but I've heard once or twice of friends having a cop look under their car for a cat and write them a ticket, although my ex-wife's father drove without a cat on his Blazer for years. I'd like to play it closer to legal and keep a cat (or two) on there, even though I'm eyeballing ****** long tube headers.

Does anyone know where I can find a 2.25" X pipe for the 1st Gen? The headers I really like have a 2.5" collector, with a recommended 3-bolt 2.5" to 2.25" reducer. I'll weld the reducers to a 2.25" inlet and outlet universal cat on each side, then hopefully find an X pipe to attach to those. That should allow me to beef up the engine to the high 300's HP when I get to that and still allow it to breathe. The only thing I'm going to miss is having a hot air tube from my exhaust up to my air cleaner. It gets cold here in the winters.

As far as going to dual exhaust, I assume that means doing away with the TBI, since it only takes one O2 sensor? And if I switch to a carb, how does that link up to the (what I think is an a518/46RH) transmission?

So, yeah... any advice, please share! I've been trying my hardest to find a good forum with active members, and so far this one looks great!

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stick with the TBI as converting takes a while. Mainly just ripping out all the sensors and high pressure fuel pumps. You can still have a 02sensor, just have your exhaust shop weld in a **** before the cat.

OP
OP
N

Nabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318 TBI
The reducers have bungs for O2 sensors, just wasn't sure what to do with needing a separate sensor for each side, but the computer is designed for only one sensor. Do they make any kind of kit that can take a sensor from each side, average them and then relay the result back to the computer? I don't want to leave one bank completely ignored. Also, there's no exhaust shop involved. I have every manner of torch and pipe benders at work, so putting it in won't be all that difficult once I have the parts.

I may end up with either this http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CIXm0pjX3LgCFRRk7Aod0igA9A or possibly this http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/displayapplications.asp?partnumber=14385 although I'm leaning toward just the X pipe so I can have more of a selection of mufflers because I don't want to get it too loud, my buddy recently got his Trans Am checked by a cop for sound levels when a neighbor complained. I'd like to avoid that.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont know if there is anything like that 02 sensor idea. Putting a carb on isn't hard, but the TBI manifold won't accept a regular 2 barrel. I think someone makes an adapter for it, or you can just get a 4 barrel carb and manifold.
As for the exhaust, if you can get an x pipe to fit under the truck, go ahead. If you don't want too loud of a sound, but still want the sound, I'd advise some magna flow 18" mufflers. they sound great, but aren't loud when you don't want them to be.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Keep the exhaust at a sane volume level and cops won't bother looking under the truck. Make it annoying and watch out!

I for one won't run without a cat. The new high flow cats produce little back pressure.

OP
OP
N

Nabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318 TBI
Hmmm... I don't really want to switch to a carb on this engine. I figure with 318's being a dime a dozen (saw one on craigslist needing rebuilt for $75 a couple days ago, one already built and pushing 300hp for $600 yesterday)... so I was thinking of building an engine in my garage while I drive the truck and then just swapping it in.
I know a little about electronics and O2 sensors are pretty simple. I'll see if I can't work out something to just use two.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say do the build on the engine. Even if you can find a good 360 builder. With a simple port match, bowl blend, cam, and 4 barrel. They can easily get 350-400 hp and tq.

88rambigblock

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985, 1988, 2001
Engine
1970 coded 440 big block
I had 435hp and 410 ft lbs out of an old 318 before I switched over to big block. switching over to carbed is much harder and in depth than I realized. that said it was worth all the extra time and money!

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
what type of modification did you do to get that much power out of a 318 because i know of someone who has a turbo 318 and he is only putting out about 300hp.

orionlover69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hi, new here! I recently picked up a 91 D-150 that I'm slowly gathering parts for, trying to beef it up a little... the exhaust leaks like mad, so I'm thinking I might just redo the whole thing, I don't have a lot of bills, so I have a pretty regular flow of disposable cash. I live in Nebraska, so there's no emissions testing that I know of, but I've heard once or twice of friends having a cop look under their car for a cat and write them a ticket, although my ex-wife's father drove without a cat on his Blazer for years. I'd like to play it closer to legal and keep a cat (or two) on there, even though I'm eyeballing ****** long tube headers.

Does anyone know where I can find a 2.25" X pipe for the 1st Gen? The headers I really like have a 2.5" collector, with a recommended 3-bolt 2.5" to 2.25" reducer. I'll weld the reducers to a 2.25" inlet and outlet universal cat on each side, then hopefully find an X pipe to attach to those. That should allow me to beef up the engine to the high 300's HP when I get to that and still allow it to breathe. The only thing I'm going to miss is having a hot air tube from my exhaust up to my air cleaner. It gets cold here in the winters.

As far as going to dual exhaust, I assume that means doing away with the TBI, since it only takes one O2 sensor? And if I switch to a carb, how does that link up to the (what I think is an a518/46RH) transmission?

So, yeah... any advice, please share! I've been trying my hardest to find a good forum with active members, and so far this one looks great!

Run a tube thru the cat body. Custom exhaust places will make a setup for you. Easy findings with plenty of cash

Johnlaw1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1992
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 318 Magnum
My 1993 has a 318 and I am running duals with only 1 O2 sensor and the computer isnt affected. I ran 2.25 into a SpinTech StreetPro 9000 and 3.00 out to the bumper. Has a nice rumble but not to load til you put your foot in it. I really like it as well as the performance increase, a lot of bang for the buck!!

Flat black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Fyi u can run a bar through ur mufflers and cats and it still looks like they r under there but they r just a large pipe then and as for the pipe I have a 90 dodge diesel and I went to a muffler shop and the put on a 3 inch exhaust cab back for 123 dollars so not that expensive.