Smog System Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dennisonwj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My smog system has been crippled by a PO. I would like to remove it altogether instead of replace it. The truck is a 1987 Ramcharger with a 318 and automatic tranny. The vehicle is registered "historic" in my state and does not require inspection, I will be KEEPING a high flow catalytic converter, by the engine side emissions and vacuum stuff I want to remove over time.

As it site, the smog pump belt has been removed, the smog canister is melted (looks to be on purpose by PO). The pump is still attached and the plumping is still there, someone has just jammed a large carriage bolt into the hose and smashed it with a tube clamp (holy cr^&, what I said).

I want to remove the pump (should be easy) and remove the plumbing capping any holes in the "back of the motor" (seems really difficult), I was hoping not to have to pull the motor out to do this work, the truck sits rather high and I am not sure that I can find a cherry picker with a "tall" enough boom to pull the motor up and out (if you know of one, please tell me).

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think it is possible but might be a bit tough. just remember that most of those steel pipes usually run to exhaust. you will need to make a plug to fill the hole in the end of the manifold but it is not that big of a deal. if worse comes to worst and you can't do it while it is on they are on the engine you could possibly remove the exhaust manifolds to do it. vacuum lines should be fairly straight forward. 1 from the carb to distributor, 1 from intake to brake booster and one from the intake to the fire wall if you have a/c

OP
OP
D

dennisonwj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i think it is possible but might be a bit tough. just remember that most of those steel pipes usually run to exhaust. you will need to make a plug to fill the hole in the end of the manifold but it is not that big of a deal. if worse comes to worst and you can't do it while it is on they are on the engine you could possibly remove the exhaust manifolds to do it. vacuum lines should be fairly straight forward. 1 from the carb to distributor, 1 from intake to brake booster and one from the intake to the fire wall if you have a/c

I will try to get to them, but may have to remove them and/or get new ones. Hey, how do you get up in this truck to do things. It is "REAL" high from the factory and it is tough to get to the back of the motor to set timing and such. Do you crawl inside or use a ladder or homemade trapeze thingy?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you got some basic metal working tooks you could probably build a plate to cover the hole in the end of the exhaust manifold and use muffler cement to seal it all up.

depending on what i need to reach depends on what i stand on. usually i use a spare tire to stand on but sometimes if i need more reach i will use a milk crate.

OP
OP
D

dennisonwj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you got some basic metal working tooks you could probably build a plate to cover the hole in the end of the exhaust manifold and use muffler cement to seal it all up.

depending on what i need to reach depends on what i stand on. usually i use a spare tire to stand on but sometimes if i need more reach i will use a milk crate.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will pop it out and weld it closed.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can remove the whole assembly, just cut the pipes about 1.5 inches from the manifold and crush it with a vise. Fold it over where you crushed it, then put it in the vise again.

OP
OP
D

dennisonwj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can remove the whole assembly, just cut the pipes about 1.5 inches from the manifold and crush it with a vise. Fold it over where you crushed it, then put it in the vise again.

Good idea, that may be what I will do for now until I can pull the manifolds off. Thanks for the advice.

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
There is a "step" that goes over the tire that you can stand on, my buddy has one to work on his lifted jimmy

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good idea, that may be what I will do for now until I can pull the manifolds off. Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, it's way easier than making a plug for it. I was forced to remove emissions when I installed my headers, but it was totally with it.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i found the pictures of what someone did to mine. i destroyed the gasket when i was sandblasting which is why i had to use muffler cement but in the end it looked good.
IMG_2802.jpg
20130830_145159.jpg

The War Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Just plugged the rusty & broken EGR on my '92 RC. DO keep in mind, you NoX will increase, if you have emissions inspections where you are; there's a strong possibility you WON'T pass the sniffer test.