sputter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tarheelboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to forum. Don't have time to search threads but I need some help. I have a 1989 W100 with 318 and auto tranny. The truck is hard to start and idles rough. If I give it hard gas it sputters hard. When I put it in gear it idles even worse. If I give it gas the whole truck shakes, the engine sputters and cuts off. If I put it in gear and hold brake, it idles worse and worse and finally cuts off. I drove it this morning and it ran fine. When I cranked it 2 hours later this is what I experienced. It just started doing this today. Any ideas? Could it be as simple as a fuel filter? Thanks.

OP
OP
T

tarheelboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked the codes and here is what I got...
37-torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park neutral switch failure.
52-fuel system rich.
21-O2 sensor problem, upstream or downstream.
15-no vehicle speed sensor signal.
Would any of these cause the sputtering and stalling issue?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
could possibly. that code 21 could be what is causing code 52. if you do replace the o2 sensor make sure to get a NTK brand o2 sensor. it is what they came from the factory with. the o2 sensor has most likely past its life expectancy of 90,000 miles. if they are too expensive locally you can get one from rockauto for $30 plus shipping.

does the speedo work?

code 37 is pretty normal.

OP
OP
T

tarheelboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Speedo works. Its a little jumpy til you hit about 35 or so.
Truck has no issues this morning. Its running normally. Figure that one out.
How many O2 sensors are there? Another issue is it has always been slow to shift from drive to reverse. It has gotten slower and slower. Now it wont. I have to go to park first then it shifts right into reverse. Tranny fluid is brown. Going to change fluid and filter tomorrow. Would a reverse band adjustment possibly fix the shift issue?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you only have 1 o2 sensor.

almost sounds like your transmission is on its way out. have you checked your transmission fluid level with the truck in neutral? if you check it when it is not it neutral you will get a false fluid level reading.

OP
OP
T

tarheelboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
man I hope not. replacing the tranny will cost more than I paid for the truck. I haven't checked the fluid in neutral, just park. I didn't know it mattered.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Dodge trucks don't pump fluid in park. if fluid level seemed fine in park then you are most likely about a quart low

OP
OP
T

tarheelboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
checked it and yep its different. it was actually a bit high in park and within the lines in neutral so at least the fluid level is good. the sputtering issue is back now too.

OP
OP
T

tarheelboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just out of curiosity I ran the truck for about 15 minutes and checked the cat converter. Hot on inlet side and touchable on outlet side. Not hot at all really. I am thinking a bad cat would cause some of my issues.

OP
OP
T

tarheelboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Catalytic converter replaced.
O2 sensor replaced.
Plugs were fouled, sooty, from system running too rich I assume? So they will get replaced today.
I noticed the truck runs fine when cold. The issues begin after the truck warms up a while. Any ideas?

OP
OP
T

tarheelboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Problem fixed. bad plug wires. also changed tranny fluid and filter and shift problem seems to be gone too.

mudmole1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It might be the fuel filter just a guess

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam