Still leaking after repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
So I just had my valve cover gaskets and tranny pan gaskets repaired but I'm still leaking, very minimal drip compared to what it was before I got the repairs. See picture attached, still wet but not sure what else is needed just from the visual. What does it look like to you guys? Sorry I'm not real engine savy so excuse my limited knowledge..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 73

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if it is not your valve covers then it is most likely the rear main seal. common issue on many trucks that old

OP
OP
B

bruin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
What's the cost for repair? Better to just leave as is? What about those additives like BlueDevil Rear Main Sealer? Do those really work?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think it would depend on who is doing it. the seal itself is not too expensive. also depends on how bad it is and if you can live with a oil spot on your driveway. i don't think those additives really work. running a bit thicker oil helps slow things down. i usually run 15w40 in my 81 during the warmer months.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
What's the cost for repair? Better to just leave as is? What about those additives like BlueDevil Rear Main Sealer? Do those really work?

Shop rate plus parts. Bet your in for a couple hundred bucks.

You could leave it. It's going to get worse.

Miracle sealants, no. They don't just swell the bad seal. They swell all of them.
Can't fix a torn or cracked seal. Temporary fix at best.