Stutters and almost dies while in gear at very low speed or at a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Foxhound2236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
I have an 86 dodge d100. The truck only has 96,000 miles on the original slant 6. When I'm in gear (it's the automatic) and at a stop or very low speed it shakes and seems like it wants to die. Is it a compression issue and if so how do I make sure and then fix it?

Thanks yall

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if you think it is a compression issue the best thing to do is a compression test. all cylinders should have at least 100psi of compression.

does it stop shaking when you put it back in park? could also get a vacuum gauge to check and see what the engine is doing as far as vacuum goes.

OP
OP
F

Foxhound2236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
It idles just fine.. And at speed it runs like a ***** ape. It's just while at low speed or stopped in gear. I will put some new plugs in it and see if that fixes it. The rear most cylinder is the affected one I think. I felt the headers and the rear one was not getting as warm as the others.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
could also be that the rear cylinder is just not getting as good of a spark as the other cylinders.