TBI to 5.2 or 5.9 magnum questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
So today I started pulling parts off my motor to get it ready to come out. My plan was to just put some new gaskets and seals, paint her up pretty and put it back in. Didn't take long, and it's pretty much ready to lift out. The whole time I'm doing it I'm just thinking to myself how nice a 318 or 360 Magnum would look in there and perform. I know Hemi is the way to go now I just can't spend that kind of money now.

I found a 1998 2wd Ram 1500 with the 5.2 Magnum in it that hit a free and bent the frame. Owners selling it for $800, I may be able to get it for $600. He claims the trans was rebuilt less than 1000 miles ago, not sure if he has proof or not.

Here's my questions.

1-With a whole truck how hard of a swap is it. I've done plenty of motor replacements and all but 1 thing I don't really know is fuel injection systems. It scares me to have to cut and splice wiring together to make the motor and truck work together.

2- How much better is this 5.2 then mine and how much better is a 5.9? I want a quick truck but don't need a 10 second truck. Will the new 5.2 be a big upgrade or should I be looking for a 5.9.

3- Would it be possible to use my trans? I know he claims its new but I know plenty of people with the 2nd gen dodges that have nothing but trans problems. I love the simplicity and reliability of the 727. Also if I can avoid mount problems, driveshaft issues etc.

Any input or links to a good write up (with plenty of pics) would be great. I've been looking around but haven't found much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
physically swapping a 318 or 360 magnum into 1 of our rig is simple since the magnum engines still have the LA style motor mounts.

no matter what you do you are going to have to deal with wiring. personally i would try to make the transmission that is with the motor work if you are going to do the swap. they are really no worse or better than a 727 but at least with the newer transmission you get overdrive with makes a huge difference to the fuel mileage you get on the highway. i am not 100% sure but i think on a 98 everything needed to make the engine run is still under the hood so you could possibly hotwire it if needed but i have never tried on anything newer than 93.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
I know to get my temp gauges, key switch and other factory interior stuff I'll have to do some wiring. Just sounds like the best swap to do as far as money and technicality of it. Was thinking about going to a carbed motor but would rather do a nice efi swap.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
getting a temp gauge and making all the interior stuff to work is pretty easy. it mainly choosing where to hack stuff together and making it look good which can be hard. if i had a 2nd gen i could try hotwiring it like i can do with 93-88 trucks but i don't. i would guess they work the same but never know until i get to play with one.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
So the deal on the motor I found fell through. But I found a '98 2wd truck with a bad trans that I may be able to get for $400. Owner claims the motor was rebuilt 40k ago, odo says 180k. So would getting this motor, harness and computer bolted to my trans work? With a custom wiring job at least?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya you can make it work with a custom harness but them custom harness's are usually pretty expensive. you may also need to notch the transmission for the crank position sensor and you might need a different torque converter or something. i am not too sure about that. or how it works with the crank position sensor.

1988ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did a 01 5.9 in my 88 it wasn't bad 2 hot wires a ground auto shut down relay and fuel pump relay used a tee in the block and my 88 oil sending unit and the 01 oil sending unit to the computer same with temp sending unit and if you use stock 727 you need a manual transmission computer