Transmission Problem or kickdown Linkage Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently had my truck in at the shop so my mechanic could take a look at a couple things under the hood no work was done, I was just getting his opinion on something. But when I picked up the truck, the gas pedal is very stiff and almost feels like it's getting hung up on something preventing me from pushing it down easily. Also, my auto transmission isn't shifting properly, it's revving to the sky before deciding to shift to second gear. This all happened in the run of the day that I got it back from the shop. So I am hoping that the kickdown is just out of adjustment - all these sudden signs sure make me think/hope it's not the transmission copping out too badly. Can anyone let me know if this has happened to you and how you fixed it? I won't be bringing it back to my mechanic, I'd rather figure this on my own. It's a holley 2280 by the way.
Thanks

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also... the gas pedal stiffness comes and goes from one minute to the next, which I don't understand. And, if I shut the truck off then back on, it can shift completely correctly. So this makes me think that whatever type of 80s computer that's in it is maybe glitching or a sensor is not functioning properly.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like the throttle linkage on the side of the carb which I believe has a slider which also has the transmission linkage attached to it. Depending on what they were looking at - it could have not been reinstalled right or bumped or something. I would think that if you took the air cleaner off it - you might be able to see if it's in a bind. With the engine off, have someone gently press the gas pedal and watch it operate on the carb. If it's OK then it might be down on the trans. Probably something as simple as this since it was shifting when you took it in.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
yup i would be looking at the kick down linkage and making sure it is moving freely and not catching on something. the kick down linkage can hugely effect when and where your transmission shifts. also how does the transmission fluid look? does it smell or look burnt?

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Kick down should be adjusted so that at WOT, you just get full throw on the KD linkage. Anything less and you soften all shifts, which can potentially kill the Trans eventually.

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hard to see, but here is the linkage at resting position. Does this look right?

Attachments

• IMG_20151024_111338.jpg
    IMG_20151024_111338.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 397

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
hard to say what looks right. it definitely looks like it is hooked up like it should be. impossible to tell if it is setup and moving like it should from a picture.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Hard to see, but here is the linkage at resting position. Does this look right?

Not sure but I think this might be causing your gas pedal and shifting problems. There's supposed to be an accelerator return spring hooked up to the linkage, it looks like its missing in your pic.

return%20spring_zpsdngkiqzn.jpg"]return%20spring_zpsdngkiqzn.jpg[/URL]

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you. Mine Is missing that spring. I just bought one and will install it tomorrow. Also, I realized my passenger side engine mount is busted , and the engine is sitting on an angle. This might be causing the kickdown linkage to stretch, or maybe hit against the firewall. I will also fix this tomorrow and post back with my results. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
Y

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I noticed that if I move this metal piece (with the long hole in it) back toward the firewall, it wll stay there and does not spring back. It's sort of just in limbo and sits wherever it gets put. Seems to have to connection/effect on the throttle mechanism. could this be causing me some funky idling issues that I've been getting? Or the inconsistent amount of power I get when applying the gas, and also the fact that sometimes the gas pedal is very stiff and sometimes loose? If you need to more detailed picture to understand, let me know

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
a broken motor mount should not be causing the issue. that piece with the long hole need to be forward all the time which is why there is suppose to be a spring pulling it forward. it effects when and where your truck shifts and kicks down. you need that kickdown return spring
linkagg.jpg