Transmission problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiianhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1984 D150 with 318. Im having trouble when I'm coasting about 10 mph and then I give it some gas the engine will Rev but it wont move, a second or two later it will slam into gear. And it will do this coming out of 1st and going in to 2nd. It will slip out of 1st and I'll have to take my foot off the gas and then it will slam into 2nd. This only happens for the first 10 minutes of driving, after its warmed up it seems fine. It was really bad when it was colder (below 40). I want to fix it myself but I don't know where to start.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
My truck does the same thing, especially when it's cold, but only for the first 30 seconds.

When was the last time you had a fluid and filter change? If it was recent, you could look at adding some fluid - try half a quart or so and then see how it performs.

OP
OP
Hawaiianhog

Hawaiianhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck does the same thing, especially when it's cold, but only for the first 30 seconds.

When was the last time you had a fluid and filter change? If it was recent, you could look at adding some fluid - try half a quart or so and then see how it performs.
Idk I think gonna do that when I change my oil tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hawaiianhog

Hawaiianhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

When you added fluid did it fix yours?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
did you make sure the fluid level is where it needs to be? these trucks can be a bit of a pain in the ass that way since you got to check the fluid level while the trans is in neutral and not park.

OP
OP
Hawaiianhog

Hawaiianhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked the fluid and it was a little low so I went to Napa and they suggested Lucas non slip transmission additive. So we'll see how it goes

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
usually additives do more harm than good. just add ATF fluid and make sure the level is where it is supposed to be while in neutral. it can make a huge difference. if you are low with it in park you might be about 1 quart low with it in gear or neutral.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
https://www.opgi.com/cutlass/CH2521...y2RvUiNE4HqvqjSnUfrLF-DWiaz6La-jZ0aAtO58P8HAQ

This is what I added it says at fluid is in it,
Thank you for the help I really appreciate it

Not going to lie that stuff usually doesn't help in the long run. If I were you I'd still do a full change to get that Lucas stuff out of your trans. Your call though, you might not see problems from it at all.

I haven't driven my truck in a week now, I'll be adding fluid next time I take it out.

GetOutADodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a Dodge 2500 and am pretty sure that it needs a transmission flush. Any recommendations for the type/brand of tranny fluid that I should use?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
I just bought a Dodge 2500 and am pretty sure that it needs a transmission flush. Any recommendations for the type/brand of tranny fluid that I should use?
you may want to ask that question in the 4th gen section. i don't know if the 4th gens are like the 2nd/late 1st gens but usually they require atf+4 fluid. you can run atf+4 in older transmission but most people say it is not worth it. i know atf+4 cost a bit more than the normal atf that you can run in a 727 transmission

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like a small clog causing a line pressure issue to me, I'd change the fluid, filter and adjust the bands and go from there.

OP
OP
Hawaiianhog

Hawaiianhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's running great now the lucas atf transmission fluid has done the trick

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics