Unknown missing part, need help asap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyDick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter V8
I've only had the truck for a couple months, been doing lots of transmission work trying to get it running. When I went to start it up and drive, it started just fine, and went into gear just fine, but it received no feed when I stepped on the throttle. I discovered that, where the throttle come out on the side of the carb, a piece of what looks like it should be linkage is missing. It looks like it should be about 4-5 inches long, on would side would maybe have some kind of a bolt or screw head, on the other it'd have to be able to slide onto a bar and be clipped in place.
I need someone to tell me what this part is called, and if I could find one at a parts store or how I could get my hands on it.
It's an 88 d100 with the 5.2 liter v8

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 60

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
looks like you might be missing a piece of the kick down linkage and the throttle cable. really hard to tell from the pic. really need a pic from a bit farther back with the air cleaner off.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What happened when you stepped on the gas? No feed? What does that mean? Did the engine rev from stepping on the gas, or does the gas pedal have no effect?

OP
OP
J

JimmyDick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter V8
What I meant when I said I got no feed, was that the engine reved up just fine, but the vehicle didn't move despite being in gear with the e break off.
and I'll see if I can get that picture up asap

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a transfer case that could be in neutral?

OP
OP
J

JimmyDick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter V8
Here's those pics
I checked the to see if it was in neutral, changed it from 2 wheel to 4wheel, it made no difference

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 28

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you may want to check transmission fluid level. most likely low or burnt. looks like you might be missing a piece of the kick down linkage which would cause the transmission to burn out.

OP
OP
J

JimmyDick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter V8
I changed the transmission fluid last week.
Are their any car part stores that might have linkage that old? Or am I just gonna have to get lucky at a salvage place to find it? Or if I have to manufacture my own, how would you suggest I go about that?
I'd do bailing wire if it didn't appear to push, and not pull.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you still might have not put enough fluid in it. you have to check the transmission fluid level with the transmission in neutral.

i doubt anyone would have the linkage piece. you would have to find it used. also the way your linkage is currently setup don't look right
linkagg.jpg

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Oh...I just remembered this. Kick down linkage won't have much effect on if the transmission will move the truck or not......mine has linkage, but no spring, to it behaves as if it's at WOT all the time.

Check your fluid. :D

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya the linkage has no effect at all on whether the truck will move but if not hooked up at all the transmission will burn out all the clutches.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, if it's forward all the time allowing no line pressure. Mine has been back for God knows how long and mine still hooks great. :D

OP
OP
J

JimmyDick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter V8
I actually just managed to get it moving, it took me putting it in 4 wheel and pretty much flooring it, but after a second, it lurched into action and started moving. It might need a new torque converter is what my buddy said.
Do you know if all the Gen 1 Rams have the same type of linkage?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
most first gens have the same linkage. if your having to floor it to get it to move you are most likely low on fluid

OP
OP
J

JimmyDick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 liter V8
that's what my transmission guy said, before I can check the level, I have to get my idle problem fixed though