W150 85 running ruff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone help? Its a 85 w150 ram 4x4. Truck is running very ruff, doesn't keep an idle if I don't stay on the gas it will die. While driving it feels like its not getting enough gas spills out lots of fumes in fact the hood is black from it. I thought it was the vapor canister so I removed it does the same thing. I was thinking of replacing the goose neck on the smog pump this weekend to see if that changes anything. I have a new vapor filter but can't find where it goes so I can replace it. :shrug: I do need a new exhaust system pipe is broken going into the muffler between Cat. I can't step on the gas hard either the truck will also die have to just give it enough. Funny thing made it from Florida to Tennessee pulling a uhaul trailer 10hrs no problem ran great.

Deblackmon3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 318
Can anyone help? Its a 85 w150 ram 4x4. Truck is running very ruff, doesn't keep an idle if I don't stay on the gas it will die. While driving it feels like its not getting enough gas spills out lots of fumes in fact the hood is black from it. I thought it was the vapor canister so I removed it does the same thing. I was thinking of replacing the goose neck on the smog pump this weekend to see if that changes anything. I have a new vapor filter but can't find where it goes so I can replace it. :shrug: I do need a new exhaust system pipe is broken going into the muffler between Cat. I can't step on the gas hard either the truck will also die have to just give it enough. Funny thing made it from Florida to Tennessee pulling a uhaul trailer 10hrs no problem ran great.

This is the first time I really wish I could see a video of it running or just be there to look at it. Check for cracks in the intake and exhaust manifolds, if you ran it from Florida to Tennessee you drove that thing pretty hard. Fuel Pump is a good check, I wouldn't worry about the smog pump causing any of that, that only pushes air into the cat so the effect is only seen from the tailpipe.

b7labelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram85,
Did you make any progress? I have a very similar problem.