weak spark, electrics going crazy please help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85'royal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l v8
I gave a friend a jump a little while ago and my truck shut off when he turned his key, I stopped getting spark, I replaced the ICU, distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires, resistor, and coils, I got my spark back but my engine still is not igniting I got a spark tester and I have a weak spark, what could be causing it???In the cab the electrics are going crazy, if I touch the break for example, my indicators light up even with the key out of the ignition any help would be appreciated. I have a 1985 dodge d150 with a automatic 5.2l 318

Dan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
sounds like things are trying to ground through other circuits. a lot of the circuits on these trucks are ground switched. In other words make sure your grounds are clean and tight. do things clear up of you disconnect the voltage regulator??

I've never heard of these issues... just trying to point out things i think could be happening

OP
OP

85'royal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l v8
Battery is good, but I don't think my truck has a voltage regulator I think the ballast resistor takes care of that, iv replaced pretty much everything and have good grounds, I'm getting low voltage from the coil like I have a draw somplace, I have a single pickup and it's got good resistance, I'm going to try eleminating components in the cab to see if my indicators are drawing power by pulling the fuses and seeing what happens

Dan70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
have you done an a/c ripple test? from the sounds of it you have a voltmeter. if you set it to a/c volts and hook it up to the battery while the truck is running you shouldnt see anymore than 40-50mv. not sure why i didnt think of this earlier... but if one or more of the diodes are bad in the alternator its trying to make every electrical system run on a/c current.

OP
OP

85'royal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l v8
Got her running it was bulkhead connector had water and was drawing battery power, and auto store sold me the wrong coil I put old could on dryed the connector and she fired right up