Where is lockup torque coverter solenoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L gas
Hi. Nice forum. Any one have experience on this: recently tuned up my 91 Ram D250 5.9L gas 2WD automatic (A518 trans) after experiencing some misfires under acceleration. Happened to get a code 37 from the computer which the Chiltons manual says is "part throttle unlock" (or lockup torque converter circuit) problem. There's supposed to be a solenoid for that, somewhere, but I can't find it on the transmission crawling underneath. Manual doesn't say where it is. I've read on-line that fault code 37 should be ignored ... any tips?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome!! If I'm thinking right it is inside the trans. If you pull the pan off it should be in there. I personally don't like to mess with the trans I take mine to a shop for all that work. I'll try to do some digging for ya and see what I can find.

Edit:
From what I have been reading It could be a dirty connection all the way to a bad tq converter. But your guess is as good as mine. Hope you get it figured out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L gas
Thanks for the reply. Found some diagrams online showing a 3 prong round connector to the lower valve body area on the A518 transmission. It says that solenoid may be on 92 and newer only, however. And it's not there on my 91, so it's a code probably to ignore. Time will tell.

BillyWayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
There are wires ( 3 I think ) that go on to the trans right at your shift linkage. If there are no wires there, you don't have a lockup torque converter Hope this helps.