$65 Dealer Oil Changes for 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not even sure if this is a good deal but I figured I'd share. I had always found coupons for one of the half dozen or so Ram dealers in my area but am super busy and just went to the closest one. I think full retail is something ridiculous like $130.

Anyway, come time to pay, the guy offers me some packages of oil changes. 10 seemed like too big of a commitment since I don't know if I'll own the truck for 4-5 more years but 5 for $395 was pretty nice.

What are you guys paying for oil and filter on a change? It's funny because as I was walking back to the dealership (Costco next door which is a nice bonus :)) I was just thinking I'd start doing myself since it was so expensive.

:favorites13:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I have 12,600 miles on my truck now and have had three oil changes so far. I bought the oil and filters each time and asked the dealer to use them rather than their own bulk. The first two changes cost about $28 for the labor, IIRC, and the last one I also provided the oil/filter and he didn't end up charging me any labor. I had to have some computer updates and one small warranty issue done that they gave me the run around on and think they ate the labor on the oil change to make up for their behavior. In the end I'm at about $100 per oil change for materials and labor. Your price seems pretty good.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if this is a good deal but I figured I'd share. I had always found coupons for one of the half dozen or so Ram dealers in my area but am super busy and just went to the closest one. I think full retail is something ridiculous like $130.

Anyway, come time to pay, the guy offers me some packages of oil changes. 10 seemed like too big of a commitment since I don't know if I'll own the truck for 4-5 more years but 5 for $395 was pretty nice.

What are you guys paying for oil and filter on a change? It's funny because as I was walking back to the dealership (Costco next door which is a nice bonus :)) I was just thinking I'd start doing myself since it was so expensive.

:favorites13:

I'd recommend doing it yourself if can do it. You see so much while you are under there that can prevent problems.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I geta 5 free changes at my dealer. :)

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
My Ram dealer offered a oil/filter package for $59 bucks.You had to purchase 4 and use them within a 2 year period.Needless to say I purchased it.:favorites13:

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My dealer had a buy 4 for the price of 3 so I bought it. I think they messed up on what they charged me, because they charged me $150 which is the cost of 2. So my next 2 are free and going in the morning for the 3rd on what I bought.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Just make sure they are offering the package for the correct 0W-40 oil with the MS-12633 spec as called out in the manual and not some dealer bulk oil 5W-30 or the like.

Glowrdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The dealer by me just switched their specials, so now they include the Hemi's. I can get 3 oil changes and 3 tire rotations for $200, or they said I could get 4 changes for that price (I already have lifetime rotations at Goodyear)

Heck of a deal! I can't get the oil for much cheaper than that. This is full syn too.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
How often are you guys changing your oil?

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had my first dealer(penzoil 0w40) oil & filter change at 4100 miles.Plan on about 4,500-5,000 miles from now on.:happy107:

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Did my second change last week @ 10k mi...49% oil life left on the meter...70% of the mileage is with a trailer hooked to it that weighs around 6k#...80% city/20% highway...7 qts of Pennzoil and the Bosch 3334 filter...Done in my garage for under $20.00...

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
One of the things that my 2011 F150 and 2012 work truck F150 had that I wish Ram do is the intelligent oil life monitor. Ram's oil life monitor just seems to have a set number of miles and doesn't take account other factors.

Ford's oil life monitor started at the 10k interval and would change depending on how you used your truck. It monitored how hot the engine gets, how many times you are in the high revs, and other factors to change the interval to less if your use of the engine warranted it. When I towed a lot, the oil change light came on at about 6k and without much towing I was about to go about 9k in my personal truck. In my company truck it usually went all the way to 10k since I drove that truck like a snail and only towed occasionally.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
One of the things that my 2011 F150 and 2012 work truck F150 had that I wish Ram do is the intelligent oil life monitor. Ram's oil life monitor just seems to have a set number of miles and doesn't take account other factors.

Ford's oil life monitor started at the 10k interval and would change depending on how you used your truck. It monitored how hot the engine gets, how many times you are in the high revs, and other factors to change the interval to less if your use of the engine warranted it. When I towed a lot, the oil change light came on at about 6k and without much towing I was about to go about 9k in my personal truck. In my company truck it usually went all the way to 10k since I drove that truck like a snail and only towed occasionally.
Sometimes I marvel about all of these new gauges & gadgets on our new trucks.One has to wonder how in the world did we get by in the earlier days without them?:crazy:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did my second change last week @ 10k mi...49% oil life left on the meter...70% of the mileage is with a trailer hooked to it that weighs around 6k#...80% city/20% highway...7 qts of Pennzoil and the Bosch 3334 filter...Done in my garage for under $20.00...
If you changed it for under $20 you didn't use the right oil.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was going to put "unless you got the oil on clearance" but that was a while ago and I wasn't sure how many people got in on it. And it isn't exactly a normal everyday price.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Oil & filter at the dealer, just north of $100.00
Labour (me) = free

Agreed, for such an easy task, do it yourself, you can check things over while under there, rotate the tires and ensure the driveshaft is actually lubricated!

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I go by the monitor in the DIC and try to get in once it drops below about 20%. It seems like that usually puts me around 7000 miles. I thought my Ram was smart enough to be more than a mileage counter but who knows..... I remember learning my old 2006 Duramax was somewhat "smart" and was more than just a mileage counter. I just assumed an 8 year newer truck would be as well but maybe not.

As for getting under my truck to find problems, making sure the oil is correct, etc, etc...... I honestly don't care :) I have the lifetime warranty and don't care what is going on under my truck :) My only fear is being stuck somewhere but that can happen with any vehicle.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Oil & filter at the dealer, just north of $100.00
Labour (me) = free

Agreed, for such an easy task, do it yourself, you can check things over while under there, rotate the tires and ensure the driveshaft is actually lubricated!

Agreed... I was looking at some of the prices posted on here and was thinking "wtf??"

$120 and change for 7 litres of PP and Mopar filter. Do it myself to save the mandatory hour labour charge because it's an HD.