$65 Dealer Oil Changes for 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
I go by the monitor in the DIC and try to get in once it drops below about 20%. It seems like that usually puts me around 7000 miles. I thought my Ram was smart enough to be more than a mileage counter but who knows..... I remember learning my old 2006 Duramax was somewhat "smart" and was more than just a mileage counter. I just assumed an 8 year newer truck would be as well but maybe not.

As for getting under my truck to find problems, making sure the oil is correct, etc, etc...... I honestly don't care :) I have the lifetime warranty and don't care what is going on under my truck :) My only fear is being stuck somewhere but that can happen with any vehicle.

Nothing wrong with that, some guys just like to work on their stuff while others have other/better things to do.

One of the issues with dealer oil changes, it is usually done by the apprentice working under the foreman collecting his flat rate, so the apprentice does not know what to look for or signs of potential known issues, etc....but of course the potential issue will eventually raise its head.
I'm sure not all shops operate the same though.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
One of the things that my 2011 F150 and 2012 work truck F150 had that I wish Ram do is the intelligent oil life monitor. Ram's oil life monitor just seems to have a set number of miles and doesn't take account other factors.

Ford's oil life monitor started at the 10k interval and would change depending on how you used your truck. It monitored how hot the engine gets, how many times you are in the high revs, and other factors to change the interval to less if your use of the engine warranted it. When I towed a lot, the oil change light came on at about 6k and without much towing I was about to go about 9k in my personal truck. In my company truck it usually went all the way to 10k since I drove that truck like a snail and only towed occasionally.
The system monitors more than just miles...When you snowplow with one of these, and it runs non-stop for 12+ hours, several times per month, the oil life % drops considerably...

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
I get quarts of Penn 0w40 ultra @ $6.27 each, the dealers doing $65.00 oil changes they are still making a good profit.

THE HEMI MAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get one like every 4200 or so miles for like $60-$65 at my dealership.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The system monitors more than just miles...When you snowplow with one of these, and it runs non-stop for 12+ hours, several times per month, the oil life % drops considerably...

So it runs by hours instead of miles on the 6.4L? Hmmm, my truck has never budged from the 15k mile interval no matter how many idling hours or towing miles.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So it runs by hours instead of miles on the 6.4L? Hmmm, my truck has never budged from the 15k mile interval no matter how many idling hours or towing miles.
The owners manual says it goes by rpm's, time running, idle time, etc to calculate it. I know my wife's jeep has ranged anywhere from 10k to 5k but my truck seems to stay right around 8k.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
My OLM is dead nuts on for a 8K mile change per the manual. Currently at 4K on this oil change and it is at 50%. Then again, my driving style is 80% highway and 20% city driving so it is not a severe service or heavyduty cycle.

Not saying the OLM is not duty cycle based, but I have yet to see it.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
My OLM is dead nuts on for a 8K mile change per the manual. Currently at 4K on this change and it is at 50%. Then again, my driving style is 80% highway and 20% city driving so it is not a severe service or heady duty cycle.

Not saying the OLM is not duty cycle based, but I have yet to see it.

For some odd reason I thought the oil change interval was 10k in the gas trucks, but I read that wrong and that is the interval for the 1500s. Just looked at the manual again today and sure a shnit, 8k for the HDs.

If it does change depending on your duty cycle then I wonder what you have to do to get it to decrease the interval. The diesel engine supplement in my owners manual says the OLM changes depending on duty cycle. I have flogged the crap out of mine towing heavy and it has never changed from that 15k interval.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I get quarts of Penn 0w40 ultra @ $6.27 each, the dealers doing $65.00 oil changes they are still making a good profit.
Hey little IKE,where you buying Penn for $6.27 a quart :love51:

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Google is your friend.
And all of this time I thought you were my friend little IKE.:happy107: Must be one of your BS stories again.:roflsquared:

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
And all of this time I thought you were my friend little IKE.:happy107: Must be one of your BS stories again.:roflsquared:

Actually he is right, if you keyword google it, the first hit is an Amazon link and a six quart case does come out to $6.27 a quart price. I can say from experience that is the lowest Amazon has had it and probably the lowest you will find it save another clearance blowout like AutoZone had around last Christmas time.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I do know that eventually I will be switching to Mobil 1 as soon as the factory warrenty runs out @ 36k...I have just enough stock of the Pennzoil to get there...Never been a person that likes to be told by a multi-trillion dollar corporation what I can and cannot use in my personal vehicle/toys...At $9.79 per Qt for the Pennzoil, I'll make the switch, and can get the Mobil 1 for under $20.00 for a 5 qt jug...

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I do know that eventually I will be switching to Mobil 1 as soon as the factory warrenty runs out @ 36k...I have just enough stock of the Pennzoil to get there...Never been a person that likes to be told by a multi-trillion dollar corporation what I can and cannot use in my personal vehicle/toys...At $9.79 per Qt for the Pennzoil, I'll make the switch, and can get the Mobil 1 for under $20.00 for a 5 qt jug...
The warranty is good until 100k... Or 60k if you have a 2016.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Actually he is right, if you keyword google it, the first hit is an Amazon link and a six quart case does come out to $6.27 a quart price. I can say from experience that is the lowest Amazon has had it and probably the lowest you will find it save another clearance blowout like AutoZone had around last Christmas time.
Danno is such a TROLL you never know if he is telling the truth or not.Search his 6.4 hemi posts.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
The warranty is good until 100k... Or 60k if you have a 2016.

LOL...

2015 Gasser...36/36 bumper-bumper...100,000 is for powertrain...

Here's a cut n paste from the Ram Warranty pdf

The Basic Limited Warranty lasts for 36 months from the date it begins or for 36,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. But the following items are covered only for 12 months or for 12,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first: • brakes (rotors, pads, linings, and drums); • wiper blades;

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
LOL...

2015 Gasser...36/36 bumper-bumper...100,000 is for powertrain...

Here's a cut n paste from the Ram Warranty pdf

The Basic Limited Warranty lasts for 36 months from the date it begins or for 36,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. But the following items are covered only for 12 months or for 12,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first: • brakes (rotors, pads, linings, and drums); • wiper blades;
Ok, try and keep up here. This is a discussion about oil, what component does the oil go in? The engine. Which warranty would cover the engine? The power train warranty. So, if you switch to a non approved oil at 36001 miles and you have an engine problem which they deem was caused by you not using the correct oil you are on the hook for repairs because you gave away the extra 2 years and 64,000 miles of warranty coverage. Get it now?

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Danno is such a TROLL you never know if he is telling the truth or not.Search his 6.4 hemi posts.

:roflsquared: I'm the troll..... Provide the answer and still can't figure it out, can't help everyone.

Ok, try and keep up here. This is a discussion about oil, what component does the oil go in? The engine. Which warranty would cover the engine? The power train warranty. So, if you switch to a non approved oil at 36001 miles and you have an engine problem which they deem was caused by you not using the correct oil you are on the hook for repairs because you gave away the extra 2 years and 64,000 miles of warranty coverage. Get it now?

Actually it's 63,999 miles, what the vehicle in service date?

Last edited: