13 HD lug nut issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had my tires balanced recently and the lug nuts were very difficult to remove, when they attempted to reinstall them some would not thread onto the wheel studs.

The shop had to take a wire brush to the studs and the nuts to remove slivers of metal shavings that where stuck in the threads. Upon further inspection it was determined that the wheel nuts where stripping themselves out.

After the nuts were cleaned up and reinstalled they would not immediately torque, they would keep spinning and not set off the torque wrench.

Tire shop says they have seen this on HD Rams numerous times, Ram said they have never heard of it, and even though the truck is 4 years old with only 25k miles on it I am **** out of luck.

Anyone have similar issues???

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Seems like someone put the wrong thread nuts on at some point in time. I know that my 2010 is a 9/16-18 and my buddies 2016 was metric threads.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My buddy had a 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 and then the same truck in a 2015 model year. He gets them for work, and keeps them until he gets about 60,000 miles on them.

He warned me, when I bought mine, that the lug nuts would "stretch" over time. Especially if you are rotating the tires frequently, and un-torque, and re-torque them to spec. He had to have the lug nuts replaced on both of his Rams before he was up to 60,000 miles. His tire shop told him of this problem too.

I'm not sure how Ram doesn't know this.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I am having this same issue with my '12. Discount tire stripped 3 studs on the front driver's wheel the last time the rotated my tires. Thankfully the paid for the repair at a local shop but they said they would not do another rotation until I had the lugs replaced.

For may last rotation I had the dealership do it with the oil change so the could check it out. They also said they never heard of the lug nut issue but on the invoice was a charge to replace 4 lug nuts. Of course the blamed the last place that rotated the tires but still took the charges off.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In all my years of changing and rotation tires, I have never had an issue with stripped lug nuts. I NEVER use an impact wrench (rattle gun) and always use deep sockets of the correct size. I always start threading every lug nut by hand at least one turn, usually two, and then run the lug nuts on or off using a speed wrench - that wrench with the U shaped bend in the handle that you 'crank' to turn. This allows you to 'feel' any imperfections in the threads. And having your lug nut threads in good condition becomes important when you need to change a tire when out on the road.

Dealers and tire shops do not take the time or care to do this. They use impact wrenches. Further they put the lug nut in the socket and spin the lug nut on using the impact wrench. The threading of the lug nut is not started properly and results in destroyed or severely damaged lug nuts. They become extremely difficult to start threading and difficult to turn when installing or removing them by hand. I don't believe for an instant your lug nut failures have anything at all to do with HD vehicles.

Hearing this is discouraging ...

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
^^^ i always tell the tire shop not to put them on with an impact. i caught them doing it once and flipped out.they haven't done it since.i always take it to the same shop,so now they know not to on my truck at least.plus that impact will **** up the chrome nuts in no time,and they'll look like crap quick.

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I do watch them, they do start them by hand then air gun them on, then go back and use a torque wrench to tighten.

When he took them off they had to use the gun to get them off, they would not hand turn at all. The studs look fine, its just the lug nuts that are being torn up.

Looks like I will be purchasing some after market lug nuts and avoiding the factory ones in the future.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So far my '16 2500 is fine but my previous truck, a '04 1500, had an issue with the lug nuts stripping a few years back. I know, it wasn't an HD truck but I'm thinking maybe Ram/Dodge gets the lug nuts from the same manufactiuer for all their trucks? I was having a major service done (I think it was a 100,000-mile or 120,000-mile service if I remember) at a local shop (not the stealership) and they called and said about half the lugs were stripped. Fortunately, I had bought a set of take-off wheels off eBay years before and they came with a set of lug nuts so I just ran the lug nuts over to the shop and it didn't cost me anything.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
I've had a couple HD trucks snap the lug nuts. Took them off with a gun, tighten up to snug & hand torque to spec. Those couple issues, the studs snapped off. Really sucks when it's on final assembly & the vehicle is minutes away from driving out.... Not now, gotta tear it back apart.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have to think this is 98% the fault of the guys taking the wheels on and off. Tire shops are just always in a hurry. I just went in for a rotation and gave specific instructions of 60psi front, 80 psi rear. Truck came out with rear pressure of 94 & 71, front 63 & 79. Now, if they can't even get in the ballpark with PSI should I think there is a chance in hell they are treating my lug nuts well?

Broyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think about how a lug nut would get stripped. Keep in mind that the stud is harder steel than the lug nut. What would tear up the lug nut threads?

The 'slivers' of metal in the threads of the stud are caused because the lug nut threading was not started onto the threads properly by hand OR the lug nut was cross threaded to begin with. Then the threads of the stud will actually peel the steel off the threads of the nut and those slivers get stuck in the threads of the studs. These slivers will destroy the nut even more and every time the nut is forced onto the stud. This is what makes turning the lug nuts so difficult. And eventually they must be replaced.

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to prevent this from happening is to do the work yourself as I have outlined above. ALL it takes is one misthread episode!

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
To make a loooong story short,
The tire shop was over torqueing the lug nuts, this caused problems with the nut threads, then they started using anti-sieze on the studs causing the problem to be even worse, until the nuts would barely thread on.

I replaced the studs and nuts, and discovered the nut threads where deforming when tightened down. The wheel holes where the acorn nuts seat are mushrooming out enlarging the holes.

After some research it was noted that anti-sieze should not be used on any wheel components, it increases the amount of force it takes to reach the proper lbs.

The tire store has agreed to replace the factory wheels with aftermarkets, at no further cost to me.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Like mentioned prior, this is why I try to do all my own work and will continue to do so as long as the good Lord lets me.

I take off with an impact gun. Do what i need to do. Lubricate the stud with a very small amount of antisieze, hand start each lug nut by hsnd, use the impact gun again to run them in until just snug, then final torque to spec with a torque wrench.

Been doing it this way for years with no issues. The threads need some sort of lube, use a light oil if you like. Some say the antisieze is no good and can cause wheels to come loose. I've never had one come loose doing it the way i noted above.

Just my .02 and what i do. ..not suggesting what you should or shouldn't do. Do what your comfortable with. I rotate every 5k when i do my oil changes and if you don't use any lube on the threads, over time it will eventually start wiping out lug nuts, at least in my experience.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Just a heads up the oem lug nuts are crap.....they are tin made to look like a solid lug nut. It are 2 pieces. Check it out for yourself... There is also a thread on here warning folks. I replaced all of my lugs with gorillas....they are one piece solid lugnuts like Ram should of installed in first place....cost me $50 for all 4 wheels. A few folks had the outter she'll snap off the threaded part and then couldn't get the rim off without torching the broken piece off.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Another thing that many people do not realize is that the amount of torque that an impact gun applies can be adjusted on the tool itself (if available) or via the air pressure going to the gun. As with any tool, they can break stuff when not used properly. Which is why many people probably don't trust them since they don't know enough about them to use them properly.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 2500
I had heard of people swapping studs and lug nuts with Ford stuff (I think it was the guy who owns House of Diesel IIRC), the hardware is junk as far as I can tell as I've had a few studs break without over-tightening.

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just a heads up the oem lug nuts are crap.....they are tin made to look like a solid lug nut. It are 2 pieces. Check it out for yourself... There is also a thread on here warning folks. I replaced all of my lugs with gorillas....they are one piece solid lugnuts like Ram should of installed in first place....cost me $50 for all 4 wheels. A few folks had the outter she'll snap off the threaded part and then couldn't get the rim off without torching the broken piece off.

2500 studs in question are a 1 piece acorn style nut, the only place you can purchase them is from Ram, and the cost almost $4 each.

All together studs and lug nuts cost approximately $225 to do all 32.

Last edited:

polcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Gorilla Automotive responded to an inquiry I sent them:

For your 2016 Ram 2500 the Lifetime lug nut we recommend is part number
66147. This is a 4 pack of chrome Duplex lug nuts in a 14mm x 1.50 thread
size, 7/8" hex. Historically all truck applications have used longer studs
requiring the use of a longer lug nut. Your factory lug nuts are only about
~1.6" overall, and we do make a "factory style" lug nut as well, part number
66147DX would be that part number. It's not a lifetime warrantied product,
but it does have a 1 year warranty against manufacturer defects.