2011 RAM 3500 cracked frame suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3duard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DIR 6.7L

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My guess is go to a welding/fab shop and have it welded and reinforced in that area. I'd also check the other side in that same area for cracking or signs of stess/fatigue.

Good luck!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Look up member Jimmy68- he just did a post a while back doing some frame fabrication on a 5500. I'd bet he could tell you what needs to be done. Pretty sure Ram would tell you to kick rocks given the mileage. I am fully confident it can be fixed, although it sure looks like a really clean break- which leads me to wonder if there was a poor section there to begin with? I dunno- I am no expert.

Last edited:

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
My guess is go to a welding/fab shop and have it welded and reinforced in that area. I'd also check the other side in that same area for cracking or signs of stess/fatigue.

Good luck!

I second this. It is more common than a guy would think. Take it to a decent welding shop and have them plate it and weld it. There are many companies out there that will stretch mega cab short boxes into long boxes so cutting the frame and welding it is being done on a regular basis. Just a right and wrong way of doing it of course...

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Very common repair. Pull the tank, pull the box (not necessary but helpful, jack the frame level, prep and weld with 7018, plate it.
Plenty of welding shops and body shops could fix this. Easy fix. Figure on two days.
Your paying for time so anything you can do will help, like remove your box.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'm with Road King. Part of it looks like a grinder cut and other parts look like it was cut with a plasma cutter.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
just looks like a normal break to me.

Same here, looks like a normal break... Actually appears the bottom portion has been cracked as it appears to be covered in rust already...

regardless, send it to a weld shop and have them plate that baby and weld her solid. No big worries...

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I'm with Road King. Part of it looks like a grinder cut and other parts look like it was cut with a plasma cutter.

At the very top it does look like its thin/tapered from possible grinding, but the rest of it looks like a stress crack (I do aircraft welding and deal with cracks all day long) looks to be a bad stress crack. I would just get it welded up with plates on both sides for reinforcement like everyone else is saying and why there at it do the same place on the other side, I know your 40k miles past warranty but is that the bumper to bumper or powertrain? Might take it to a ram dealer just to see what they say maybe they will cover it but I doubt it could be worth a shot though.

mike456

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
easy fix
get the frame back together(disconnect leaf)
run bead on both sides grind down and paint
weld an 8" by 6" plate on either side
if you wanna get fancy take a drill and bore out two holes on either side of crack and install high strength steel bolts(dot would require on a truck, welding is no longer acceptable)
paint it

biggest pain in the ass would be getting both sides to fit back together correctly