2013 2500 Trouble Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hopefully this is the correct place to post this:

I have a 2013 Ram 2500 (Hemi 5.7) with 6800 miles. Over the last two or so weeks I have noticed that it is taking progressively longer to start. The starter seems to be operating normally but instead of the engine starting right up (1 second or less) it now takes about 4 seconds. Once it does, it goes to a high idle (about 1600 rpms) then slowly works down to under 1000. Additionally, this typically only occurs after the truck has been sitting for several hours or overnight.

Any ideas what's happening? Thanks

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pump the throttle once before starting? May help. My hemi fires right up, never a grind on the starter.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Pump the throttle once before starting? May help. My hemi fires right up, never a grind on the starter.

This probably won't do anything as the truck is fuel injected. What you might check is the battery. The hemi loves good voltage.

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So fuel injected means the throttle wont give it fuel unless its running? What about turning the key to ACC then pump, then start? Dunno.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Pumping the gas won't do anything with drive by wire TB's

Last edited:

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Karl,
1) Check air filter and inlet tube
2) If this started after you gassed up you may have some questionable gas in the truck try dry gas, fuel injector cleaner, or put more gas init if you are down to half tank or less, otherwise the new gas will probably not help if that is the problem.
If you not getting fault codes then it is most likely something external to the engine.
Battery is another good tip.

good luck hope you get it sorted,
preachp

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have issues like this with my 2011 and 2013. Granted its not 4 seconds long, but pretty close. Only happens in the morning on the first start up, then every time after that it fires right up. The engine will idle high like you describe to warm up initially, all hemi's will do that. If you put it into gear while it is idling high, it will drop down to the appropriate RPM, but I would recommend to anyone that they let their truck warm up at least a little bit before taking off. Just my .02 cents...

OP
OP
K

Karl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks fellas. With less than 7,000 miles I didn't think I'd need a fuel injector cleaner or that the battery would be weak. I ran it till my low fuel light came on and filled up to about 3/4. Guess I'll see what happens in the morning.

I have gotten several PO456 codes (Small evap leak) but was told that is completely unrelated and could not affect starting.

apepe0738

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine did this again this morning when I left. Happens every morning after sitting overnight, but starts fine during the day. I run fuel injector cleaner on every oil change...

BlackedoutRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Express is doing the same thing. I've never filled it up with any other gas than 89. Truck only has 2,*** on it. Started doing it around 1,500 or so. I'd like to ask the service department when I take my truck in for the recall. But I don't want them charging me no $100+ to see what the problem is.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed this too. Only on the first start up in the morning it turns over a little before starting. I have had the truck for almost a year and have 15000 miles. I dont want to take it to the dealer because I removed the cats and if I go back to a stock tune it will throw a cat CEL. On my jeep it would fire up quicker after a plug change but I think my truck plugs are rated for 100,000 miles.

OP
OP
K

Karl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took the battery out and had it checked it AutoZone. They said everything looked good with it. This weekend I let the car sit from Friday evening until Sunday morning...it took almost twice as long to start, maybe 6 seconds. Other than a battery draining, what could possible get weaker/worse the longer it sits, but then will function normally after it is started? Fuel pressure maybe?

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks fellas. With less than 7,000 miles I didn't think I'd need a fuel injector cleaner or that the battery would be weak. I ran it till my low fuel light came on and filled up to about 3/4. Guess I'll see what happens in the morning.

I have gotten several PO456 codes (Small evap leak) but was told that is completely unrelated and could not affect starting.

This sounds related to losing fuel pressure. (Evap leak might be vacuum loss)

I'm no truck mechanic, but I know on my Harley, there is a vacuum operated switch to get fuel and if it's not hooked up you dont get gas and it won't start.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0456
Pasted...

"The PCM monitors the EVAP system pressure by watching the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor. When the sensor indicates a small leak in the EVAP system, this code is set."

Read more at:*http://www.obd-codes.com/p0456
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4 to 5 year old trucks with 5-7K miles on them, seem to be spending a lot of time sitting..Which is not beneficial to fuel.