2013 Ram HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rtmoparguy

rtmoparguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 laramie
Engine
if you guys want more specs,click on the bold ram hd about halfway down the page.lots of info!

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Wow, useful features would have included getting a new manual 6-speed that doesn't require a de-rated engine. Instead, they made the HVAC cluster look like it belongs on a spaceship, and added **** loads of complications to the manufacturing process so they can justify higher prices...

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I'm happy I bought a 2012 HD

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am still happy with my 12. The power folding mirrors might be nice. The screen in the gauge cluster might be cool. Nothing I cant live without. I don't much care for the redesign on the HVAC controls. Especially since it says they are all duplicated between manual controls and the screen controls.

I do like the new door panels better.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Wow, useful features would have included getting a new manual 6-speed that doesn't require a de-rated engine. Instead, they made the HVAC cluster look like it belongs on a spaceship, and added **** loads of complications to the manufacturing process so they can justify higher prices...

To put any more power through that transmision they would have to go to a dual disc clutch. If you've ever heard what a truck with a dual disc sounds like you know they just cant be put in a factory truck.

There are quite a few major changes that are more then just a center consol redesign.

Three link front end, DEF system rather then DPF, aisin transmission, Borg Warner electronic and manual transfer cases and a higher GVWR due to frame, suspension and axle improvements

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Ya... from my perspective the HD dodge trucks have been pretty bulletproof since they revised the frame in 03. Aside from ****** U-joints throughout the drive-train I have used, and abused a couple without any dramas lol. I think increasing the GVWR any more is just getting silly since these trucks already haul way more than any normal person should be hauling anyway (not saying I am not guilty of doing this lol).

I always used to like Dodge cause they were simple, less expensive, and reasonably reliable relative to their ford, and Chevy counterparts, but the way they are going now, that is no longer the case.

I have never designed a clutch, but there must be a way to make it work that is reasonable, I just wish they would pursue it as long as they are going to offer a manual transmission, do it right instead of copping out.

Also, I couldn't care less about the addition of the three link front end, want to explain why it is better than the way it was set up before? I liked the way four mounting points kept it from rotating when I left my front end high and dry, not that it really makes a difference from that perspective. Although I suppose the u-joints in the front drive-line appreciate the decreased deflection.

And an electronic transfer case... right, that is exciting because it saves me from grinding the forks...? Or when I don't care because I need 4wd NOW, I can't have it thanks to an electronic demon that doesn't play nice. Not that it happens very often, but when you go sideways far enough on snow, it's amazing how well a quick shift into 4wd will get you crabbing fast enough to keep your gooseneck from creaming the back corner of your cab. I hope the Borg-Warner transfer case is at least an upgrade compared to what they used to have, although I personally never had a problem with them on an 03, and an 05.

I do appreciate the new DEF system ignoring the low fluid warning, that is about the only major change I care for since that will hopefully get fuel mileage back up to some reasonable numbers, but then again, you could have just cut it off before, and tuned anyway so it makes little difference.

Last edited:

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think increasing the GVWR any more is just getting silly since these trucks already haul way more than any normal person should be hauling anyway (not saying I am not guilty of doing this lol).

If any of us were normal we could get away with using minivans or crossovers for our hauling needs :naughty:

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I mean normal as in non-professional driver lol

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anybody heard about a 2013 Power Wagon? I have not been able to find anything online yet. Even the ramtrucks.com site still only shows 2012 trucks.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not heard anything yet on the PW