2013 Ram Outdoorsman 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluejaka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L
Looking at purchasing a new 2013 Ram Outdoorsman 2500. It has the 6.7 L Cummins and 68 RFE transmission with 3.42 gears. Dealer has it reduced to $53 k down from $68,945.

This vehicle will be my daily driver and used to haul a bumper pull horse trailer (2700 lbs) and 2 horses (2400 lbs), gear (300 lbs) 4 people (600lbs) etc all told approx 6,000'ish pounds. No doubt the truck is fine to pull this weight but my question is how much can this truck bumper pull? I can't find the info anywhere. I have seen it is 5th wheel rated for 17,200 lbs.

This truck also has the Ram boxes. Like em or hate em?

Do the Ram boxes prevent you from getting a fifth wheel hitch? How about a slide in camper?

Reason I ask is we may look at a truck camper to haul when we pull the horse trailer. Also may upgrade trailer to a living quarters horse trailer.

Hoping this is the right truck for us.

Opinions please

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only replying to the Ram boxes...wasn't sure about them when I got them, but I love them and most likely won't have another truck without them. Very handy and easy to store things you don't want inside but don't want rolling around your bed...and in the summer you can fill then with ice and use them as a cooler which is great for concerts and such...Highly recommended!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wondering, why pull from the bumper instead of a class IV or V hitch?

I think he might mean using a hitch. I certainly wound't tow that much off the bumper, it's not a whole lot of money for a hitch. With a class V hitch that weight shouldn't be an issue, but probably not on the stock class IV hitch.

OP
OP
B

bluejaka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L
Yes bumper pull means from the hitch

Salesman said it is good to tow 12,500 lbs conventionally or 17,200 lbs fifth wheel.

Found some further info stating 5th wheel is an issue with the Ram boxes but goose neck is ok