2014 2500 6.4 L Code problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gafranc469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Need some help to see if anyone has experienced these problems. I purchased my 2014 Ram 2500 6.4L megacab in January 2015 and has driven great. While coming back from Valdez, Alaska I was pulling our camper and everything is fine. I stop for gas and when I return from paying I notice that the drivers seat is completely proned out meaning the back of the seat is laying on the back seat and the drivers seat portion is at the lowest position. All electronics are fine so I reset the seat to where I had it before.

About 20 miles later down the road, the check engine light comes on. I receive the message "Electronic Brake Control needs servicing" and the vehicle stability light comes on. The vehicle goes into "limp mode". I stop for 10 minutes and it allows the vehicle electronics to reset to get it five miles further down the road and again throws codes. It kept throwing codes and I had it towed to the dealership.

After 5 days in the shop, I am told that the code for the brake servicing came on, then the over torque code and the vehicle goes into limp mode. The vehicle is reflashed and I pick it up from the dealership. I am about 10 miles from the dealership and again it starts throwing codes for the Vehicle Electronic Brake Control needs servicing and the vehicle goes into limp mode. I again return it to the dealership.

After three days I am told that this set of codes is entirely different from the codes that were thrown earlier and they are still working on it. Has anyone ever had this happen to them as the dealership is saying that they have never seen this happen before.

Thanks

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
very strange....sound like the whole programming is out of wack or maybe the computer itself has a mulfunctioning cooling fan or something small I think is causing this.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like a defective PCM or PCM main harness connector.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
There is a flash/recall for ESC. Have they checked to see if the TSB was done on yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandlbarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've seen some really weird stuff happen with a loose ground, too. Probably wouldn't hurt to make sure all your grounds are tight.

OP
OP
G

gafranc469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Thanks for all the responses on this one. We are going on Day 11 with the vehicle at the dealership. We will see what they have to say today. Just called and they said it was the Cam Position Sensor that has to be replaced as that was the only code it was throwing. It would have to be overnighted and hopefully get my truck back tomorrow.

OP
OP
G

gafranc469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Day 12 waiting for the truck repair. Called this past Wednesday and said that they have to special order the Cam Sensor position part and have it overnighted. Yesterday, Friday, I receive a voicemail that UPS lost the part and they have reordered it. Today i am told that they are waiting on the part and WHEN it comes in the repair will take 30 minutes.

Lets see 12 days to diagnose a $40 part and we cannot even get it to the dealership overnight. Oh yeah and the diagnosis is done by a computer and not a real mechanic. Sounds like major incompetence at this dealership.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Day 12 waiting for the truck repair. Called this past Wednesday and said that they have to special order the Cam Sensor position part and have it overnighted. Yesterday, Friday, I receive a voicemail that UPS lost the part and they have reordered it. Today i am told that they are waiting on the part and WHEN it comes in the repair will take 30 minutes.

Lets see 12 days to diagnose a $40 part and we cannot even get it to the dealership overnight. Oh yeah and the diagnosis is done by a computer and not a real mechanic. Sounds like major incompetence at this dealership.

Contact Fiat/Chrysler customer service.

OP
OP
G

gafranc469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
So lets forward three years later. I am towing a camper to Valdez, Alaska and again the cam position sensor goes out. Same symptoms, check engine light, power loss, etc.. Had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership where it presently sits.

Thendrix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Damn that sucks. At least this time you can tell them you're previous experience. Might save a day....... Maybe

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I don’t even know what to say. Sorry to read all your troubles with such a nice setup and you can’t even enjoy it cause your too worried that it’ll break down on you in the middle of nowhere. Smh fca!

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It took Ram three months and two seperate dealers (the second dealer was golden) to fix my defective lifter. All in I was out of my truck for eight weeks. While I understand your frustration you got it easy.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It took Ram three months and two seperate dealers (the second dealer was golden) to fix my defective lifter. All in I was out of my truck for eight weeks. While I understand your frustration you got it easy.
Tell us they gave you a loaner at the least?

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tell us they gave you a loaner at the least?

Part of the time. However, the resolution ultimately involved driving to a dealer eight hours away whom I knew were experts on Hemi engines. The first dealer put old components back into the truck, damaged engine internal components, left the intake manifold loose, and lied about what was covered under warranty so I would pay them on top of their warranty payment. The FCA area manager looked at the truck, missed the improperly installed manifold, and supported the first dealer so I was forced to find a dealer in a different area. The new dealer had the truck diagnosed and fixed in less than three hours (it took a week to source the parts).

Because the second dealer was in a different state I had to rent a car dolly and tow my car to the new dealer. That's a total of four 8 hour legs to get my truck fixed.

OP
OP
G

gafranc469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Update on my issues with a cam position sensor. Got a call from the Service manager at my dealership who stated the position control module (the brain as he put it) was shorting out other parts (cam position sensor) and they need to order the parts out of Seattle. They will be replacing the Position Control Module and the Cam Position Sensor. Will be without the truck for another week. This will all be covered under the lifetime warranty that I had purchased 2 years ago. So here we sit without a truck through next week. As far as a loaner we could get a rental and whatever the warranty will pay. Fortunately have a daily driver that I can use.

Needless to say but I am looking at a 2500 or 3500 with a cummins diesel and trade this truck in.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on my issues with a cam position sensor. Got a call from the Service manager at my dealership who stated the position control module (the brain as he put it) was shorting out other parts (cam position sensor) and they need to order the parts out of Seattle. They will be replacing the Position Control Module and the Cam Position Sensor. Will be without the truck for another week. This will all be covered under the lifetime warranty that I had purchased 2 years ago. So here we sit without a truck through next week. As far as a loaner we could get a rental and whatever the warranty will pay. Fortunately have a daily driver that I can use.

Needless to say but I am looking at a 2500 or 3500 with a cummins diesel and trade this truck in.
You better delete that new diesel as soon as the warranty runs out or you will have problems. A deleted Cummins will be relatively problem free and definitely get better fuel mileage than a gasser. Good luck!

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Sounds to me like the problem is driving to Valdez....lol Trying driving down to Homer. It's all downhill. :driver::laughing1:

OP
OP
G

gafranc469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
So the dealer took three weeks to finally replace the PCM module and the cam position sensor. Had the vehicle back home and after a week the code problem returned and it went into limp mode again. Had the truck towed to the dealership Lithia Wasilla Alaska.
After trying to deal on a new 2500 or 3500 the dealership would not give fair market value on the trade according to KBB where we were separated by $1000 but they would not budge.
Filed a complaint with Fiat Chrysler Ram on the vehicle problems which we played phone tag but despite leaving messages for the agent (Case manager) I have not received a response.
The Service manager advised he would contact the area representative for Ram/Mopar but that has never happened. Therefore I was done with Ram and Mopar.
Went next door to the Ford dealership and started a deal on a 2017 Ford F350.
After three more weeks in the shop with this Ram 2500 and the replacement of two (2) position control modules and another cam position sensor I was called by the dealer saying the truck was ready. I asked the dealership if they knew the definition of insanity by doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result! I received no response.
When I picked up the truck, due to the extended warranty there was no charge. I got into the truck and drove it next door and traded it for the 2017 F350 where the ford dealership met my trade price and the price of the F350.
I have always been a Ram/Dodge/Plymouth guy most of my life however since the purchase of Chrysler by Fiat the quality has seemed to slip....alot.
So we will see how Ford will do on their heavy duty trucks.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
So the dealer took three weeks to finally replace the PCM module and the cam position sensor. Had the vehicle back home and after a week the code problem returned and it went into limp mode again. Had the truck towed to the dealership Lithia Wasilla Alaska.
After trying to deal on a new 2500 or 3500 the dealership would not give fair market value on the trade according to KBB where we were separated by $1000 but they would not budge.
Filed a complaint with Fiat Chrysler Ram on the vehicle problems which we played phone tag but despite leaving messages for the agent (Case manager) I have not received a response.
The Service manager advised he would contact the area representative for Ram/Mopar but that has never happened. Therefore I was done with Ram and Mopar.
After three more weeks in the shop with this Ram 2500 and the replacement of two (2) position control modules and another cam position sensor I was called by the dealer saying the truck was ready. I asked the dealership if they knew the definition of insanity by doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result! I received no response.
When I picked up the truck, due to the extended warranty there was no charge. I got into the truck and drove it next door and traded it for the 2017 F350 where the ford dealership met my trade price and the price of the F350.
I have always been a Ram/Dodge/Plymouth guy most of my life however since the purchase of Chrysler by Fiat the quality has seemed to slip....alot.
Keep us posted on how you like it. I’ve had fords and never had issues and I’ve had ram and had no issues either. Some trucks are just bad. I go back and forth between the two.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Bye! :wave: