2014 2500 front end rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok, so I noticed a very pronounced rattle on the driver's side front of my truck before I even left the lot for my test drive. The rattle ended up going away so I didn't say anything about it (the truck had sat on the lot for a while). It litterally sounds like something is going to fall off of the front end of the truck when going slow in a parking lot over bumps or driving down a dirt road. The problem is there is no consistency to it. One minute it is doing it and a few miles later it is gone. It has been to the dealer 2 times already for it but each time the noise is gone when the tech takes it for the test drive. I know he is telling the truth because when he can't hear it he has me drive it to see if I can get it to act up. I remember seeing people on here having a problem similar to this but I can't remember what the exact cause and fix was. The tech said he tightened every bolt in the front suspension and the only thing that had any movement was a couple of the sway bar hold down bolts. The noise is still there though. Anyone have any tips?

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
check the rubber spacer underneath the front coil spring. I seem to remember one guy had it installed wrong. you can search the hemi 6.4 thread for it.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you feel it in the steering wheel? I have an intermittent clunking/rattle in my 1500 wheel and it has been diagnosed as the "intermediate shaft" in the steering column. The part is on order by the dealer.

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
Have someone stand outside the drivers side while you drive slowly by. Helps if they're car knowledgeable

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a crazy rattle at one point I could have sworn was steering or suspension related. It turned out to be the clip that holds the hood bumper stop on (not sure of name). It's a metal clip on the inner lip of the fender, has a rubber stopper on it the hood rests on. Fell off down into the quarter panel and was rattling around.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had an awful rattle/squeal that I traced to a piece of gravel trapped between the front brake disc and the metal shield behind it. There was a bit of asphalt on the gravel so sometimes it would be stick enough that it adhered to the disc and made a horrible squeal when I turned to the right. Other times it would be loose and rattle around in the recess near the hub of the disc against the metal shield.
I took a long shafted screwdriver and flipped it out of the gap. I'm not sure how it got up in there but I know it happened because they were resurfacing the mall parking lot and there must have been some loose.

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks everyone. It isn't the coil spring being off centered because I would have noticed that. I will check the hood supports next I guess and then look for the other things posted in here. I have to figure it out at some point!

OP
OP
loveracing1988

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a crazy rattle at one point I could have sworn was steering or suspension related. It turned out to be the clip that holds the hood bumper stop on (not sure of name). It's a metal clip on the inner lip of the fender, has a rubber stopper on it the hood rests on. Fell off down into the quarter panel and was rattling around.

I believe you were on the right track with this. The rattle came back on my way home in my sub. I pulled the hood lever and the rattle pretty much went away. I unscrewed the stops on the front a couple turns, shut the hood and the sound was gone! Hopefully it stays that way!