2014 6.7 2500 Fan Shroud/Radiator failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brenardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey now, I'm new here and wanted to use this site to create a log of my first issue with the truck.

6/21/15

Traveling a dirt road, first time I have actually had to use 4WD. After shifting to 4HI proceeded up hill out of no where SQUEEK and a big Plum of steam.

Immediately shut down popped hood and it was obvious what had happened.

The fan had had grabbed the soft rubber between the hard plastic surrounds and wedged between the fan and radiator causing a massive leak. I have never seen anything like this failure and cant understand what happened.

Anyone seen or heard of anything similar to this?

And I gotta say Roadside assistance certainly let me down yesterday. I know it was a Saturday but I held for 1:15 mins and never spoke to anyone. Is that normal?

3e24ee0942dd41ebbc0248ce6a592ca0.jpg

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds like something flexed that should of and allowed the two to come into contact.. that sucks about road side assistance

OP
OP
B

Brenardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Reckon motor mounts could be the culprit?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that is a very likely culprit.. but that would suck...

OP
OP
B

Brenardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To everyone with good dealers cherish them.

The dealer the truck was towed to was claiming 7 business days to deliver the radiator. Sounded ridiculous to me so I called my local dealer and they found one located less than 50 miles from the dealer that has possession of my truck.

Called dealer to notify and was told I would have to cover the upcharge for a dealer to dealer sell.?? Wtf is this? No way! Truck doesn't have 25k miles.

Long story short. My local dealer is sending a guy on a 7 hour round trip to hand deliver the part to them. When they could have had it in 2.5 hours tops.

I'm not impressed.

At any rate. The dealer that has my truck is more worried about trying to blame me for what happened instead of repairing the truck.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Hey now, I'm new here and wanted to use this site to create a log of my first issue with the truck.

Anyone seen or heard of anything similar to this?

Unfortunately, yes. It happened to me when I owned a 2013 6.7CTD 3500. With 1100 miles it decided to eat the malleable rubber shroud that's between the two hard shrouds. There is very little clearance between the fan blades and the shroud ( About 3/8"). Its tight to create a large vacuum and suck a massive amount of air. You are the first one I've read about in quite some time. There were a number of 2013's with the problem. It is an alignment problem with the shroud and the trucks I read about including mine were misaligned from the factory. A buddy here in town had this happen to his 2013 3500 truck with less than 5000 miles on it and left him stranded. Makes you sick to your stomach seeing a brand new truck bleeding purple coolant all over the place! Over on the CumminsForum and number of owners got to checking their own fan shrouds and found holes/tears in them before they got totally engulfed and spit out through the radiator. Here's a couple pics of what the aftermath of mine looked like. The bottom pick shows a nice hole on the left.
[URL=http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/wyo2track/media/IMG_0509_zps808a0f87.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s1010.photobucket.com/user/wyo2track/media/IMG_0508_zps9dfe359b.jpg.html][/URL]

One nice thing about this 6.4 Hemi, only ONE nice big hard plastic fan shroud!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brenardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Will the 6.4 Shroud work?

OP
OP
B

Brenardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wife picked truck up Saturday and from here inspection everything looked great. Felt really good.

When I got home checked it out and found an issue.

The plastic ear on the radiator that the pretty HEAVY DUTY cover attaches too on the driver side is broken off. Completely gone.

Called dealership same old song and dance. Was told I would receive a call back.

Waited till today to call to get the BS. And they didn't disappoint.

****. I don't have a leg to stand on. Truck left the lot.

M&L Motors of Lexington NC
Definitely **** service
Definitely **** management
Definitely **** to deal with.

At the end of the day accountability has walked off and died. Take ******* pride in your work, if you **** something up... Deal with it. Dont **** and moan when you get chewed out for ****** it up either, take your lumps and dont **** up any more.

People are getting sorry as hell.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
M&L Motors of Lexington NC
Definitely **** service
Definitely **** management
Definitely **** to deal with.

At the end of the day accountability has walked off and died. Take ******* pride in your work, if you **** something up... Deal with it. Dont **** and moan when you get chewed out for ****** it up either, take your lumps and dont **** up any more.

People are getting sorry as hell.

Unfortunately the service you received is the rule, not the exception. I could go on and on, the bottom line is Fiat dealerships in particular their service departments and so called techs are complete incompetent bozos, most of which are not qualified to change oil and tires at Walmart. And when it comes to working on you vehicle thet could give a **** less what they damage or break.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brenardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How does a consumer driven market allow this to happen? When did the consumer lose their rights?

mx2sh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
please help

Hey, I had the same issue happen this 4th of July weekend when towing my camper to get away for the weekend I heard the fan go into high speed and then a loud pop, I pulled over opened the hood and sure enough the rubber housing (shroud) got
sucked into the fan and damaged the radiator. Had to cancel the trip. Got the truck to Chapman Dodge in Scottsdale AZ. Tina the service advisor called and say'd that this is not covered under warranty!! After doing a bunch of research I found out that this is a on going issue with these rubber shrouds. What did your dealer do for you any advise please??

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
Hey, I had the same issue happen this 4th of July weekend when towing my camper to get away for the weekend I heard the fan go into high speed and then a loud pop, I pulled over opened the hood and sure enough the rubber housing (shroud) got
sucked into the fan and damaged the radiator. Had to cancel the trip. Got the truck to Chapman Dodge in Scottsdale AZ. Tina the service advisor called and say'd that this is not covered under warranty!! After doing a bunch of research I found out that this is a on going issue with these rubber shrouds. What did your dealer do for you any advise please??

That sucks! Sorry to hear that. If you're still under the 3year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, it should be covered. Mine was replaced with 1100 miles on the odometer...free of charge.

OP
OP
B

Brenardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is definitely under warranty due to the fact that it hasnt been modified and it was misaligned from the factory.

That's basically how I put it. Very little resistance when all the ******** was out of the way.

It is a pain in the ass job. And the radiator alone lists for $1200 plus they are evidently hard to get a hold of.

Sent from my XT1080

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This very same thing just happened to our shop truck last Thursday. We were going up Black Mtn, pulling a 24' enclosed. Heard a loud plastic pop and then smoke. It had Pulled the rubber off the shroud into the fan, making the fan strike the radiator. Got it towed to Asheville.

They finally called yesterday saying Ram is refusing to warranty the damage, that it was caused by an outside object. Still arguing with Ram customer service on this.

Seems there is a The Star case #S1307000002, release date 8/12/2013 covering the improper installation of the fan shroud at the factory. Yet they are still refusing to cover the damage. The truck is a 14, with just over 20K on it.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

mschuth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
This happened to my '14 on Sunday. In shop now for repairs.

jacksprat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013 dodge 5500 6.7 fan shroud problems

my truck has 59k miles and while pulling a grade the fan sucked the rubber part of the shroud into it causing the fan to explode puncturing the radiator. from reading the post this seems to be a major problem. no recall and no help from the dealer. go to safecar.gov and file complaint! this needs to be a recall!!

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Dayum. Pops' 6.4 in his '14 SRT Challenger pulled the same stunt about a year back, similar mileage. Hmmmm.......

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."