2014 brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 2500 Ram 6.4 gasser with 34k miles.

So noticed it a handful of times that lovely burning brake / hot smell. Never constant smell, but could walk past a get that fragrance. So this past week we went camping- pulled my 30' camper bout 25 miles. Got to check in, and when I got out had smoke coming from behind tire and hot to touch. Next morning I had to drive back home, and no smell or heat. Two days later towed home, no heat or smell. Later that day had 2800lbs in bed, drove 30 miles and again all was well.

Truck has sat for 3 days now, and decided to take a look at the brakes. Pulled tire on driver, put in neutral and couldn't spin wheel. Jacked other side up and can get that wheel (passenger) to turn but driver still no movement. Put a lug back on driver side and breaker bar, can spin wheel, but definitely fell a drag. Pulled caliper, which came off easy - was thinking stuck caliper or guide pins. With caliper off still hard to turn tire, so now thinking maybe parking brake????? From what I read recently not much to adjust on the cable.

ANy input or advice would greatly be appreciated. Biggest fear I have now is the amount of heat damaging hub, brakes, etc.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like maybe a shoe came apart on the parking brake. Probably need to be replaced. Pull it completely apart and see what they look like.

OP
OP
mtu1293

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well dealer agreed theres a problem - tech went for few mile test drive and had a 30deg temp difference between the two sides. He wanted to change caliper but since warranty work Ram said clean and lube all slides. Can see a difference in displayed mpg.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963