2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Bullydog Tuner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Ive been looking for reviews for tge bullydog gt platinum tuner or the new BDX. Wanting something to pep up the truck a little and maybe increase the mpg when my family and I go on long road trips. I dont plan on removing any of my emmisions crap and going full blown horsepower build. I need to stay inspection compliant here in Houston. Also, just wondering if the dealership can go back and check to see if the truck has had a tune on it if i can put the stock tune back on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
There are other(better) options besides Bully Dog while still keeping your emissions equipment like Raceme Ultra and Edge JWA. There are also some custom tuners that allow you to keep your emissions equipment on with the Raceme MM3.

Although, diesel powered vehicles are exempt from emission testing in Texas.

"Diesel powered vehicles and motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing, but are still required to have the annual safety inspection."

Inspection Criteria for the Annual
SAFETY Inspection

Smog Check and Car Inspection in Texas

And even if they weren't exempt, all they would do is do an OBD test to see if there are any CEL present.

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
SouthTexan,Thanks for the response. My 2 main worries are
1. If the dealership will be able to see if i had a programmer on it even if i put the stock tune on it? ( I have a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty through dodge)

2. Wondering it programmer will cause cel's on the dash display and in the pcm?

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
Regaurdless of being emissions exempt in Missouri they still require a safety inspection and emission components are supposed to be checked and make sure they are still there. But I do know of many deleted trucks and some that even have DOT numbers on the side that have never had an issue.
And Manufacturers started what they call the check sum number. If you put a non factory tune the check sum is no longer right even if you put the factory tune back in. The other down side is sometimes going to the dealer they will flash the computer to latest and greatest because of what ever issue you brought it in for and now your tune is lost. I don't know how each individual dealer works but I would bet they don't go looking to see if you have/had a tuner on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Thanks 82Crew for the response. What i dont understand is how im seeing so many 13' and up trucks fully deleted with monster tunes on them and running around legally. There's got to be a catch or something. Either, all these trucks know some people that will just pass them, or they're getting someone to throw all of thier emmisions crap back on before inspection.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
No, they don't throw all the emissions equipment back on.

They get passed because:

1) Diesel trucks are exempt from emissions testing so the emissions equipment for them don't really get scrutinized like the gas vehicles.

2) 99.9% of inspectors do not know which vehicles have what equipment so as long as it has an exhaust then it gets passed. Most of your local lube shops have an inspector and most of the time it is some young kid who either does not know about diesels to know about DPF's and SCR's or does know about diesels and hates the emissions equipment just as much as you do. Trust me, the training to become and inspector does not cover much(especially regarding emissions) and the test is very easy to pass.

3) Emissions testing is not even a part of the inspection for diesel trucks with a DOT number in Texas. If they were, then all of your Peterbilt semi-trucks running 8 inch stacks would be off the highway, and how many of these do you see flying down the road?

Last edited:
OP
OP
440hsp

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I had a 2005 neon srt4 that had a little over 400hp to the wheels and around 480 ft.lbs. of torque. The last year I had it, I took it in for inspection and the dang guy got underneath the car looking to see if i had a catalytic convertor even though the obd2 scan came out perfect. I figured they started cracking down more on vehicle's that look modified whether they were gas or diesel. I figured if they did see that it didn't have the emissions stuff on it they would fail it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye