2014 Ram 3500 Hemi 6.4 what do ya think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
You like it? What do you like and what do you not like about it? Be as specific and long winded as you want to.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mines a 2500 and I love it. Gas mileage isn't great though. Wait until next year and you can get rear coil setup in the 3500.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I went with a 2500 because I didn't want to spend the extra money in dually tires. At the end of the day I could have used the extra payload weight. I'm still happy with my 2500 and I won't get rid of it but if I had to do it all over again, it would be the dually. It gives you space to grow in towing capacity. I don't know what trim line you're looking at but if you didn't know the new 3500's come out next year. The new 1500's you'll see in the showroom buy August or September. The 2500's may arrive before the end of the year and the 3500's should be around in the beginning of next year (someone correct me if I am wrong). You can plan on finding a year end closeout deal pretty soon or go with the 2015 and its upgrades. The new coil suspension rides smoother but tows less weight. There is a company making upgraded springs to bring the weight back up though. Look up SumoSprings.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm 5K miles into my 6.4 2500 and couldn't be happier. I jumped from an 06 Duramax back to gas since the TT I tow is only 8500# and well within the capabilities of the truck.

The only downside is higher RPMs while towing up hills but I don't tow often enough for it to matter and every other aspect of this truck is better. To be fair, though, this truck is 8 years newer so I'd expect any 2014 truck would be a lot nicer than a 2006.

The best points as I see them:

Engine/tranny combo is great - the truck has crazy amounts of power as a daily driver and plenty for towing.

Handling/Ride - Rear coil springs make this truck handle like a dream, especially when towing. The difference between my old truck and this is day and night. Even with the TT attached I can pull through corners feeling like I'm glued to the road. Where the old leaf spring trucks roll and bounce this truck hugs.

Quiet Cab - this is one I'd imagine any new truck has over an older one but just amazes me. The sound deadening inside the cab with the windows up is amazing. The hands free Bluetooth and voice command thing is an A+

Brakes/Engine Braking - you can literally haul a trailer down the back side of a mountain pass without touching the brakes. Just set the cruise and tow/haul and the truck does the rest.

Back-up camera and sensors - totally amazing. Just tonight parallel parking at dinner I pulled off a move I never could have done in my old truck. The backup camera and sensors have precision accuracy. A very nice feature when you use your truck as a daily driver like me.

10000# GVWR - (even higher for the 3500 you're looking at). For a 3/4 ton truck having +/- 3000# of payload is outstanding. I load the tongue of my trailer which is 1200# or so plus load up the truck with firewood, beer and people to go camping and the truck doesn't even move.

Technology - the EVIC driver center, XM radio and overall layout of the controls is amazing (and I'm picky). Being able to just plug in a thumb drive or SD card with my favorite tunes on it is pretty cool.

Interior comfort and overall layout - I have a mid-level truck. Cloth seat but with many upgrades (better stereo, upgraded Uconnect system, sliding rear window, power seats). The interior is awesome. Lots of room in the back seats, seats fold down easily, etc.

If you're even considering this truck I say at least go test drive one. I drove a Cummins back to back with the 6.4 and opted for the 6.4. It felt a bit quicker and more responsive off the line and I just didn't need the extra towing ability of the diesel. Saving the 6K or didn't hurt either.

KTM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice write up.

I am 1350 miles into my new 2500 6.4 and love it as well. I came out of a 2004 F150 with that 5.4 disaster of an engine. This truck is friggin amazing when compared to that older technology and stepping up to a 2500 was questionable at first but now I know it was the right decision.

nukeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I'm currently trading my 6.4 for a cummins so I guess I'm the minority here. The 6.4 will smoke the cummins off the line no doubt, but that's expected. If it weren't for mine being a lemon I'd have kept it. The 6.4 has great power off the line, but the mpg suck, and it requires 87 octane. Mine was very odd. Some days great power, some days a total dog.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Mines a SRW 3500, and I love it so far. I've got just over 6000 mi on it. Towed everything from a landscape trailer to a 12000lb mini. Great truck...

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm currently trading my 6.4 for a cummins so I guess I'm the minority here. The 6.4 will smoke the cummins off the line no doubt, but that's expected. If it weren't for mine being a lemon I'd have kept it. The 6.4 has great power off the line, but the mpg suck, and it requires 87 octane. Mine was very odd. Some days great power, some days a total dog.

If I towed med/heavy often I'd have opted for the Cummins. I was just on a non-brand specific board and guys were arguing the gas at 410hp/430torque would out tow my old Duramax @ 360hp/650torque. As much as I'd like to agree I can't. Driving the two trucks with the same trailer up the same hills the diesel out-pulls the 6.4 but not by a huge margin.

I remember after towing my first time with my 6.4 thinking the Cummins in this truck would be the ultimate towing machine for an 8-10K# TT. I'm totally happy with my gasser but if I was out putting any serious miles on while towing I'd go for the diesel.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Another 2500'r here. I just got back from another trip with the 6.4. I agree with mtofell that a Duramax pulls better (I had an 06), but for everything else, I like the 6.4 better. I tow a lot in the summer, but during the winter, not much at all. Last years mileage for me was around 8-9K. At that mileage, it takes a long time to pay back a diesel for the same trim level. The gas mileage is not great, but its decent. There are other tradeoffs here too; availability of gas pumps (especially while towing a 34 ft trailer), and you can get the lifetime warranty.

Over my 06, I'm also enjoying the longer range of the gas tank.

I did consider going back to diesel for pulling at a lower trim level, but when I test drove the CTD, the front end felt heavy and clunky, the response was slower, and the ride wasn't as smooth. I'm not sure if there are suspension diffs between Tradesman and Big Horn though. There is also less vibration and noise from the engine.

This weekend, I pulled my 8K trailer over Mt. Hood and up some steep grades. This was the first trip I've had where the fan came on for short bits. The 6.4 in 2nd gear will do 55-60mph right in the power band. I'm now a big fan of the electronic range select to limit the highest gear for both going up and down. My towing mileage was 7.2 on the last trip out, but on less steep, but hilly ground its over 8.

After second guessing myself. I'm even more confident now that I made the best choice for me based on my needs.

BigBadWolfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Its a beast of a truck. I love it. I have a tt @8000# and it treats it like a toy. it probably gets around 13 average between trips and the stores. Ive never owned a new truck so this is my first. when they set up the camper they hadta order a new drop hitch and then send it out to shop to drill holes in it. It seems it wont sit down like other trucks when weights applied. When we go places people literaly gawk at it. Now for some bad. It has a bad head and its in the shop. Under 3000 miles. Losing 70 percent in compression on that side. It has thrown misfire codes on that side since 300. Chrysler is fixing it and upping the bumper to bumper almost double. Theyre reimbursing us for the time by giving a couple months payments. ( its paid in full so idk what that's based on) Nothing is perfect and defects happen I know from being a millwright welder. Ive had time to think and some people have had nasty things to say...u sAnd houlda bought a blah blah...ad naseum. Well heres what Ive told them. I don't care if it even has a motor compared to the looks of the competition. Theyre styling looks like a cardboard box with lights on em. The frame on THIS truck will NOT twist and BREAK like the competitions did. Wherever I go if something goes wrong they'll fix it. So ill keep it. I couldn't tell it had a performance issue and the service manager said if I thought it was a beast before...well hold on. I can live with that.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I can attest to the frames not wanting to twist! Lol not much flexing to do in this truck.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
With 1500 miles my towing MPG is right at 9 MPG, hand calculated. Trailer and ATV total about 9000 Lbs. Putting a pencil to it I could never make up the cost of the diesel compared to the 6.4 hemi. Fantastic truck in the Laramie trim. Replaced my 2009 1500 hemi with it and have no regrets. All my towing has been in the mountains of Colorado going from 5000 feet to over 12000 feet.

BigBadWolfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got around 9 mpg towing but just driving normal almost 17. Service called and I get her back in the morning. Yay! I seriously love this truck. My only complaint really is that when parking I don't pull up far enough because that hoods HUGE. I pulled my camper loaded at about 9000# through the back way to lake of the Ozarks. No problem and I know mountain driving is bad but here in the Ozarks its up down through corners every step of the way. The suspension is the best there is period and I don't just stake my life on it I stake my families on it also. Value and quality dollar for dollar nothing even comes close and I research everything extensively before buying. Ill let you know how she drives now tomorrow but until I break it in no hotdogging.

BigBadWolfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got it. Its perfect. It has a lot more power now. I opted out of the diesel because of the maintenance requirements and Im not pulling every single day. I have a lifetime powertrain warranty for free. I have learned from the years that preventive maintenance is the best. I remember when I was a youngster that one of the most feared street machines had the 426 Hemi in it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My only complaint really is that when parking I don't pull up far enough because that hoods HUGE.

X2 - I'm constantly afraid I'm going to park on top of a Smartcar :)

The hood is crazy huge. Judging the distance at the front corners when pulling in to spaces and just the general front clearance when parking is taking some getting use to. As a nice trade off, backing up is a dream with the camera and the sensors.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
X2 - I'm constantly afraid I'm going to park on top of a Smartcar :)

The hood is crazy huge. Judging the distance at the front corners when pulling in to spaces and just the general front clearance when parking is taking some getting use to. As a nice trade off, backing up is a dream with the camera and the sensors.
X3- We need a camera up front too. I actually had my wife get out a couple times to tell me how far I could pull in to some spots

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I forgot the name of it, it's somewhere on the forum, but there is an aftermarket part you can put on your truck that allows you to add front and side cameras. I'll ask a friend of mine and get back to you.

Got it! Do a search for "Lockpick". Is an aftermarket part that allows you to do a few neat things with your truck.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
How's your mileage?

Highway milage is 18 if I keep it under 70. Towing my landscape trailer im getting 12-13, average speed doing my lawn route is about 40-45 mph and its hilly. Towing the tractor or mini, its 9 ish.

Idahemi6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I traded my Tundra for my 2500 and have no regrets! My comfort towing a 8k trailer went way up and my monthly payment actually went down. Dealer almost gave me straight across trade ($8k off msrp) for Tradesman pkg. I've added 2 inch leveling kit in front end, Amp Powersteps, and Ram tow hooks. My kids love the Amp Powersteps. I've only got 800 miles on the truck and it rides awesome. I also did the math on the diesel and the CTD was more than I needed. I test drove a 3500 but liked the 2500 ride better. Towing gets <10 mpg but around town I get around 13. No highway miles...yet. The only way I could enjoy this truck more is to get rid of the 3.0 uconnect and put in a big touchscreen radio with a backup camera:)