2014 and up gear swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was inquiring about 4.56 gears for my 2014 2500 4x4 and the shop told me that nothing is available for our new front ends. I was under the impression that some of us have already switched to 4.56 gears, is this guy uninformed? He told me he opened one of our trucks front axle to install gears and it wouldn't fit. Anyone have any information? Also said that the axles switched from 13-14 year models with the new suspension setup.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
I don't believe that. Karl45 on this site had his switched out and there have been several over on the cummins forum that have made the switch to 4.56. I read that Yukon gears has the 4.56 for our trucks, but other manufactures may not have them available. Perhaps your shop's preferred gear supplier doesn't stock them yet? One thing I have read was seals for the front diff had to come from Mopar. Let us know what you find out. You making the switch to 4.56's ?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I called a dealer to inquire about a 456 swap.. and they came back with like a 12k$ to do it.. I politely said nvm. I would love a set of 456"s... truck would run amazing with that gear ratio.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The gearsets will be the same for pretty much any truck 2005 and newer. Like said above it has been done on here. With the addition of the front axle disconnect it made things a little more complicated but it still isn't a horrible job. Gearsets will run you around $500 to $700 per set so to say it would be $12000 is outrageous. You could install power wagon front and rear axles for that price.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the shop called me this morning and informed me that another shop he talked to said they had to install some type of plate to get them to work. Does this information sound reliable at all? He gave me a quote for $1500 which sounds sounds like a fair price

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well the shop called me this morning and informed me that another shop he talked to said they had to install some type of plate to get them to work. Does this information sound reliable at all? He gave me a quote for $1500 which sounds sounds like a fair price

$1500 isn't bad, there shouldn't be a plate needed if you are only going to 4.56, the carrier goes up to that. The spacer plate is for bigger than 4.56.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
To my knowledge, there is no plate needed. Just will require a different bearing on the rear pinion shaft as it is a smaller diameter. Where or what brand gear are they finding? I used Yukon gear sets. Think you will find the change in gearing very pleasant driving truck with a lot more usable power. Wish the computer could be tweeked some though.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To my knowledge, there is no plate needed. Just will require a different bearing on the rear pinion shaft as it is a smaller diameter. Where or what brand gear are they finding? I used Yukon gear sets. Think you will find the change in gearing very pleasant driving truck with a lot more usable power. Wish the computer could be tweeked some though.

The pinion is the same diameter, the bearings were changed because it is a pain to get the head bearing off.

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi

$1500 for just labor I assume?

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He just said $1500 for the swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

You can get Hemifever tunes done on the 6.4. Is that what your looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nitro gears sent me an email stating that our trucks need a conversion ring gear spacer for 4.56 gears. So it seems that my shop guy was correct. Here is the list that nitro sent me.

image.jpg

I'll have to call the shop and get this going here soon. I've been looking at travel trailers.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well ****....that picture is really blurry

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nitro gears sent me an email stating that our trucks need a conversion ring gear spacer for 4.56 gears. So it seems that my shop guy was correct. Here is the list that nitro sent me.

View attachment 51012

I'll have to call the shop and get this going here soon. I've been looking at travel trailers.

That is why they said you needed the spacer kit, because they are using GM gears instead of chrysler gears. It will end up working the same but I figured they would be using aam gears like what came in it. Also the master overhaul kit for the front end will be missing a seal that goes in the front axle disconnect part of the axle.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
If you are going to swap gears, then I would save up a bit more and have them install an AAM TracRite GT gear style limited slip if your truck does not already have one or the TracRite EL electronic locking diff. It will make a world of a difference off road, and they are already opening up the rear diff to swap gears.

OP
OP
TWILLIAMS9

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the factory LSD in the rear. The price of $1500 is with exchanging my current 4.10's. So it takes a little of the total price down. I made an appointment to get them installed Friday. Since I am looking for a travel trailer currently it was either take truck back to stock or re-gear. the 4.56 should put me right about stock with where I was with the 33's and 4.10s. If it was possible if get 4.88s they just aren't available for our front axles.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have the factory LSD in the rear. The price of $1500 is with exchanging my current 4.10's. So it takes a little of the total price down. I made an appointment to get them installed Friday. Since I am looking for a travel trailer currently it was either take truck back to stock or re-gear. the 4.56 should put me right about stock with where I was with the 33's and 4.10s. If it was possible if get 4.88s they just aren't available for our front axles.

Do you track your mileage? Will you be able to give us before/after numbers?