2016 6.4 hemi mds vibration clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So truck is done. New motor mounts. At first seemed like it made a difference. But drove few more miles today. Same ****. Just have to realize that these new rams with the mds **** aren't like old trucks. The vibration is def still there but seems like it has less struggle coming out of eco mode.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Compared to my 15 Silverado 5.3, when this truck goes into mds, it's much more noticeable. I can easily hear it in the exhaust tone. I don't feel much vibration. Maybe a slight bit. It's annoying, but not horribly so, and i don't think it's helping my fuel mileage at all. I run the truck a few days per week in manual mode so all 8 holes stay lit all the time. I think it's better for the engine. But i have no proof of that. I'm just old school

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I'm not sure on this ram if it does or not. On my Silverado it did not. I just hit the minus on the shifter and that locks it into manual mode and disables the mds

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I'm not sure on this ram if it does or not. On my Silverado it did not. I just hit the minus on the shifter and that locks it into manual mode and disables the mds

So this is like the 1500 trucks with the 8 speed... You can just put it in 6th and it will still shift through all the gears by itself like normal? Or am I missing something.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Compared to my 15 Silverado 5.3, when this truck goes into mds, it's much more noticeable. I can easily hear it in the exhaust tone. I don't feel much vibration. Maybe a slight bit. It's annoying, but not horribly so, and i don't think it's helping my fuel mileage at all. I run the truck a few days per week in manual mode so all 8 holes stay lit all the time. I think it's better for the engine. But i have no proof of that. I'm just old school
Interesting, I noticed the "AFM" (MDS for the Hemi) transition WAY more in my 5.3 than I do in my 6.4. To me, this one is a lot smoother than my Silverado ever was. Mine was a 2013.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So this is like the 1500 trucks with the 8 speed... You can just put it in 6th and it will still shift through all the gears by itself like normal? Or am I missing something.

Yes you can. Not a big deal for me. I kind of think of it as a challenge, how often and how long I can keep it in MDS mode. The drone is the sound of me saving money :)

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Interesting, I noticed the "AFM" (MDS for the Hemi) transition WAY more in my 5.3 than I do in my 6.4. To me, this one is a lot smoother than my Silverado ever was. Mine was a 2013.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

And that's exactly the reason why. Mine was a 2015 and gm greatly improved the system for the 14 redesign.

Compared to my ram, i didn't even know it was in V4 mode without looking at the indicator in the DIC. It was that quiet.

The only time i can say i felt the V4 mode was when coasting in V4 i got a slight driveline vibration. I believe the tech called it echoboost or something like that.

Basically, the back pressure from the 4 cylinders holding the truck back when coasting. Over on gm trucks, the guys who installed aftermarket exhausts and took the flapper valve out of the exhaust. They said it sounded like a helicopter. Honestly, i can see what they mean now with my ram. It does sort of sound like that.

It's not bad and does not bother me though. But honestly, I'd rather just have all 8 holes stay lit all the time by default and have mds as an option for highway operation or whatever.

But i am old school. To me a V8 is designed to have all 8 cylinders doing their fair share of the work and not have 4 doing all the work to move the dead recepricating mass of the other 4 cylinders. I'm sure it's fine, like l said I'm old school. I love my ram so much more than that Chevy i had. I think I'm converted to Mopar. Lol

OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Clunking

Ok just want to post again. I think the clunking is getting worse. It's def a driveshaft or transmission issue but tech said some play in driveshaft is normal. Anyone else experience a clunk like there is play in driveshaft. Usually happens when accelerating then letting off gas. Most likely when about to shift gears. Clunk is annoying but if it's normal I can live with it. Might need to put flowmaster muffler or something similar on so I don't hear it lol.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Something is definitely not right. You may have a bad u-joint somewhere in the driveline. Have you been getting the front driveshaft lubed at every oil change (assuming yours is 4x4)?

I had a 2015 5.7 1500 with MDS and other than a slight change of exhaust note at slow speeds it was not noticeable, feel wise. My 2016 6.4 is noticeable (audible and feel at slower speeds) but not as bad as you are describing.

OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Truck has 7k miles I thought it was an mds issue but I've been driving locked in 6th +\- and clunk still happens. Motors mounts were changed but that was for the mds vibration which still is same. I guess it should go back to dealer again.... so annoying. Truck is pos

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok just want to post again. I think the clunking is getting worse. It's def a driveshaft or transmission issue but tech said some play in driveshaft is normal. Anyone else experience a clunk like there is play in driveshaft. Usually happens when accelerating then letting off gas. Most likely when about to shift gears. Clunk is annoying but if it's normal I can live with it. Might need to put flowmaster muffler or something similar on so I don't hear it lol.

Truck has 7k miles I thought it was an mds issue but I've been driving locked in 6th +\- and clunk still happens. Motors mounts were changed but that was for the mds vibration which still is same. I guess it should go back to dealer again.... so annoying. Truck is pos

So maybe you're having an issue with your 66RFE Transmission all along and the MDS is a red herring?

-Guzzler

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm confused, it sounds like you have 2 separate issues. (1)Vibration/drone.
(2)Clunk.
Does the drone/vibration go away in ERS(locking in 6th) if so concern #1 is probably normal.
The clunk, does it only do it when the trans feels like it is about to shift and you let off the gas? if so probably also normal.
Hard to say without actually driving your truck. Drive another truck from the lot, if it is the same, don't worry about it

Sweet5ltr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4/392

I know you're frustrated and on the Power Wagon Registry I brought up this same issue earlier last year, as a few of our 14+ PW's were doing the same thing. Truth is, there is no solution but time and a change in driving style. The throttle/timing/fuel mapping in the tune is for economy, yes, economy in a 6,700-7,000lb 2500 series 6.4 that isn't even obligated to state the EPA rated MPG on the window sticker. I tried all the fixes here, and originally thought it was MDS, but like many the issue still remained in manual mode with mds disengaged. Bucking was the worse under 1,600 RPM and with a high load (as it doesn't like to downshift). The engine just is not mapped properly with a low throttle position at those speeds/rpm. It makes no difference with octane, I originally thought it may be pulling out timing but it made no difference with two fillups of 93.

My PW now has 23k miles, the problems such as the physical/audible 'bang' from the mechanical engagement/disengagement of the front axle to transaxle assembly (to save fuel economy while cruising) is no longer their (I could feel it through the pedals before). We've concluded that this 6.4's tune is very susceptible to minor variances in fuel composition (moisture/ethanol content). 87 octane is fine (once again, no difference running 89-93), but I've always had luck with newer stations that quickly cycle available fuel storage (meaning, busy ones). I've tested this theory no less than 10 times, fueling at other less frequented stations and the truck starting to buck/hesitate again. It's so noticeable, my wife even comments and knows where I've fueled without telling her; we carpool with it everyday. For the past six months I've been using the same three stations and the truck has very little to no symptoms anymore.

What I've learned to do is also immediately place the truck on tow/haul mode when driving, turn off tow/haul above 50mph. No difference in fuel economy, and no bucking/hesitation. If you like to 'putt around', turn on tow/haul mode.

That is why people who invest in a tuner/new ecu state how great the truck is after. It no longer holds gears, disables MDS, and limits shift points. The engine is mapped properly, running smoother and more efficiently at lower RPM. If you don't want to invest in a tuner, then the tow/haul method is your best bet currently. The truck just needs more miles to break-in, mine drove me insane originally as well. Hope this helps!

mattym13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

My truck clunks when accelerating and letting off the gas just like you describe. It also does it occasionally when coming to a stop. Sometimes the clunk is harsh while other times its barely noticeable. The dealer re-flashed the PCM which I thought took care of it but the clunk came back after a bit. Mine's a 16 with just over 14k miles.

OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yes I def have 2 separate issues. The mds vibration is one which I can live with bc I lock in 6th. Then the clunking is same as u guys described. I drove identical truck. Didn't hear any clunks. But I also didn't have clunks like this when mine was brand new. That I noticed at least.

OP
OP
H

Hoc84key

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Some good info thanks. But don't know too much about tuners. Was planning on keeping truck mostly stock. Bought new to avoid headaches and this truck has just been a giant one