2016 Ram 2500 front driveline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotdog47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I took my 2016 Ram 2500 in for the second oil change Friday, IT has 10,000 miles on it know. My problem is when I asked if they greased the font driveline they told me that it doesn't require it to be greased. I told them I know it has only 1 place to grease, but it states under the hood and owners manual it's supposed to be done every 7,500 miles.

So I email Ram customer service. They wrote me back today and told me they called the dealership. The service manager said that the new trucks don't require the driveline to be greased. Said If want it done to tell the service manager next time I take my truck in for a oil change and I would have to pay them to take my driveline out to grease it because greasing isn't included in the price of a oil change. Does this sound right?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this the dealer u bought the truck from? If so - lean on them- That's ********- it takes 30 seconds to geese it and they don't have to remove it-
If it's not the dealership- get in good with the service writer or slip the tech doing the work a 10$ or go buy the horse needle and a greeese gun and just donit urself... i also suggest getting a head lamp as it is takes 5mins to find it and 10 seconds to grease it.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had the same ******** answer from my local Ram dealer about the grease fitting in the front axle on my first oil change.After a coming to Jesus meeting with my truck on the hoist to show them where the fitting was all is well.:roflsquared:

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had the same ******** answer from my local Ram dealer about the grease fitting in the front axle on my first oil change.After a coming to Jesus meeting with my truck on the hoist to show them where the fitting was all is well.:roflsquared:There is also a you-tube video showing the fitting.Show them :favorites13:

BlkZrx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 SLT Std. cab
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got the same BS from my dealer on the first free service. Except they said they.greased it. After I got home and looked, it had never been touched. Not going back..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's some ******** for sure. I still would just do it myself so I know it's done, can't trust anyone these days

OP
OP
H

hotdog47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What surprised me was that RCS emailed me back telling me that it didn't have to be greased.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone got a good photo or diagram as to where the grease point is? I want to check mine.. Only had one oil change so far, but I'm supposed to have 4 free changes with purchase and would like to make sure its getting it's attention.
What exactly is greased, the front driveshaft spline? Just curious..

Trog73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anyone got a good photo or diagram as to where the grease point is? I want to check mine.. Only had one oil change so far, but I'm supposed to have 4 free changes with purchase and would like to make sure its getting it's attention.
What exactly is greased, the front driveshaft spline? Just curious..

yeah, what ronheater said! I took a cursory look and I didn't see any darn grease fitting.
And, since it says the driveline needs to be greased on the label under the hood and in the manual, how the heck can Ram come back and say it doesn't need to be done?

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah, what ronheater said! I took a cursory look and I didn't see any darn grease fitting.
And, since it says the driveline needs to be greased on the label under the hood and in the manual, how the heck can Ram come back and say it doesn't need to be done?

Just watched a Youtube vid.. seems simple enough, I need to get the right kind of fitting though for grease gun..

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
The one on the front drive shaft is buried. I tried but i need a different head for grease gun. Oh well will try again later i thought.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i have a 2016 that was built in november. there is no recessed zerk on that front driveshaft.....anywhere.....

i read somewhere some have them and some dont....

additionally, i have a 70 bronco. it has several zerks on the cv joints. so - i know what i am looking for...

cheers comrades!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need the epideral needle- that's what i use " it's a big ass Saringe - only cause the parts shop didn't have the horse size one. And it takes a few minutes to find off ur back under the truck- A lift makes it much simpler.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Just did my first oil change at 4600 miles. was concerned that the mystery driveshaft fitting would be difficult. So simple, ordered the needle fitting from amazon, attached it to my grease gun. rotated the front shaft until you see the fitting.It's in the back section of the front shaft double joint. turn the shaft until you see the fitting, of the two u joints, in the back of the shaft, its in the foward of those two, in the crotch of one of the corners. it looks like a little silver A-hole. Dont know else to describe it . It is not a typical grease fitting.Stick the needle in the center of the hole and give it 3 pumps.After inspecting it I could see a little of lube coming of the rear u-joint, telling me it was doing it right.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR6XE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am a mechanic at a private shop (10 years now). I would never trust the dealerships. My brand new 2017 6.4 has free oil changes and I have been doing them myself. I bet you most dealerships do not even put the recommended 0w-40 pennzoil ultra synthetic in it. Now that you're talking about greasing it, I am going to have to check. I believe, I could be wrong, that there are only a couple. I think most is non-greasable. For some reason I cannot remember...but if it is greasable, I would have done it a couple of months ago when I did the oil. Most vehicles now, are non-greasable from the factory. They are all sealed units.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s not sealed...and it needs to be greased.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I was able to grease mine (seeing old grease oozing out the back of the joint)for the first three oil changes after some struggling with the NAPA needle fitting.

The last oil change, after over an hour of struggling, I gave up. Will try again next oil change.

At least with the front axle disconnect system, the front driveshaft is just free spinning and not connected to the rest of the drivetrain at least in 4x2 mode. So it shouldn't grenade on the highway in 2wd...

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Lincoln 5803

Get the Lincoln 5803 and a helper. I use a flashlight and hold the Lincoln while my spouse pumps the grease gun. Don't need much and you can clearly see a nice ring of new grease on the rear of the joint when done properly.