2017 2500 6.4, antifreeze smell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
just curious but have any of you guys had an antifreeze smell? my truck has 2900 miles on it and I'd swear i smelled antifreeze the other day after towing my trailer. maybe after just driving to work. i don't believe there are any leaks.

Thanks

Alpinebmx103

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have had strong smell of coolant as well multiple times have had my truck for a year on August 1st and have put 31k on my truck and my coolant level hasn't gone down since I have owned it but it does worry me so i keep a close eye on the coolant level

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Mine does it also...And so do several other members trucks here...It's been a common complaint for several years now...

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2015 did have that smell, and same thing, no loss in coolant. But on my 2017, never smelled or noticed it, currently have 4500 miles.

Now, knowing my luck, i'm probably going to smell it tonight after responding to this thread.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
lol, thanks guys. appreciate that. i don't think I'm losing any coolant and i searched and found some older threads about this issue and a coolant hose causing the smell? not sure, but i don't like it

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
My 2016 has this problem also, it bothers me. You shouldn't be able to smell coolant like this.....

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
interesting. thanks. nope i agree you should not have an antifreeze smell unless there is a coolant leak

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
2017-no smell-no leaks yet!-7400 miles

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Routinely with my 2014 @ 60K miles. It always spooks me because with my old Dmax smelling coolant was often reported to be a precursor to a head gasket failing. I don't really care with this truck since I'm covered with warranty but it is a bit concerning.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I smell it almost every time I drive my truck. I’m going in on Saturday for the OCR recall, and they are going to look into that smell too.

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Add me to the list.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine used to do it. I complained to the dealer and they pressure checked everything and said it was fine. Oddly after that it stopped. I started towing and hauling a lot more using it as a work truck and I haven't smelled it since.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mine is hit or miss. once in a while, I smell it. no coolant level drop. Although, once when I opened my reservoir cap, there was a sucking sound and the coolant got sucked up and disappeared. I topped it off with distilled water and so far, so good.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I got my appointment moved up to today. The dealer did the OCR recall, looked into the antifreeze smell, and looked into a ticking sound that was coming from the driver’s side engine compartment.

They could not find anything with regards to the smell. But they did say other vehicles, on the lot, have done the same thing. The mechanic also said the fluid level in the reservoir was good.

The ticking sound is a bad/stuck lifter. So I have to make an appointment to get all of the lifters replaced on that side of the engine. I guess I’ll have to wait and see if they do all of them, or just look for and replace the problem lifter.

They did the mandatory accusation of “you need to change your oil. You have over 9,000 miles on this oil.” To which I informed them that I did the last oil change 4,500 miles ago. And that I do not have the dealership do all of my oil changes. They then tried to argue that I needed to have my oil changes done between 3,000-4,000 miles.

I then politely, but firmly, informed them about the Chrysler issued Owners Manual which states 8,000 mile intervals, and that their own service writer told me 5,000 miles would be more than adequate. (I do 5,000 miles because it is easy to track.) I even offered to let them take a sample and send it in for analysis. They declined. They were done trying to find a way out of the warranty work at that point.

Now I am just waiting to make an appointment for the repairs.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Seen many threads pertaining to this, I'm on that list too.
Over 50k on the truck and no issues other than the smell.

Is it just a 6.4 thing or are there reports on the 6.7?

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get the faint smell every once in a while, no leaks, no low coolant, 32k on mine.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got my appointment moved up to today. The dealer did the OCR recall, looked into the antifreeze smell, and looked into a ticking sound that was coming from the driver’s side engine compartment.

They could not find anything with regards to the smell. But they did say other vehicles, on the lot, have done the same thing. The mechanic also said the fluid level in the reservoir was good.

The ticking sound is a bad/stuck lifter. So I have to make an appointment to get all of the lifters replaced on that side of the engine. I guess I’ll have to wait and see if they do all of them, or just look for and replace the problem lifter.

They did the mandatory accusation of “you need to change your oil. You have over 9,000 miles on this oil.” To which I informed them that I did the last oil change 4,500 miles ago. And that I do not have the dealership do all of my oil changes. They then tried to argue that I needed to have my oil changes done between 3,000-4,000 miles.

I then politely, but firmly, informed them about the Chrysler issued Owners Manual which states 8,000 mile intervals, and that their own service writer told me 5,000 miles would be more than adequate. (I do 5,000 miles because it is easy to track.) I even offered to let them take a sample and send it in for analysis. They declined. They were done trying to find a way out of the warranty work at that point.

Now I am just waiting to make an appointment for the repairs.

Funny, I got the maintenance for life with my truck and the last time I brought it in when my EVIC was around 8% oil life left (just under 7k miles on oil), they pointed out that I had been in about 3 months earlier for an oil change and tried to tell me they were only supposed to do them once a year. I laughed. Who the hell, especially out west, drives so little as to need a once a year oil change?? I informed the service manager that I was leaving town for a long weekend of camping and towing an RV and wanted my oil changed before the actual oil indicator said to.

And to top it all off, they didn't rotate my tires as per "lifetime maintenance" even though the paperwork said they did.

I'd never had a bad dealer experience until this one. I let every level of management know about that BS.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
couple times a week i smell it too.

the dealer here is not worth my time.

22k on it. no leaks.

Ken Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
just curious but have any of you guys had an antifreeze smell? my truck has 2900 miles on it and I'd swear i smelled antifreeze the other day after towing my trailer. maybe after just driving to work. i don't believe there are any leaks.

Thanks
I’ve had the same issue with my 2015 6.4 Hemi. It was in the shop at 35k and the top hose was loose. I now have 139k on the truck and at 98k the heater core was plugged at 2800.00 to fix. The shop guy said that was causing the smell. Seems that was a guess because the smell is still there.

Ken Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Thanks
Same here, my heater core was plugged at 98k on my 15 model. 2800.00 later and now at 139k...smell is still there.