2017 2500 6.4, antifreeze smell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rambojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since you’ve revived an old thread, my 16 6.4 has the intermittent coolant smell issue. It’s still under warranty so the dealer marked my reservoir to keep an eye on it.
I’m no genius but in a contained pressurized system we shouldn’t be smelling coolant.

pjcodner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine does it as well 2015 6.4 been doing it since day one. I took it in numerous times and they even said they could smell it but didn't find anything.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘16 has had it intermittently since brand new. Got 25k miles and still have yet to see a drip or had to add any coolant.

Seems like most issues are with the thermostat housing.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
My 2018 2500 randomly smells as well, never find a leak, go figure....

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nobody bothered to get under the truck and look for theirself ?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nobody bothered to get under the truck and look for theirself ?

Yep sure have. Dont be crazy, Jerry. No dripping, moisture, dampness, staining... nothing. Ive been looking for 3 years and 25k miles lol.

Last edited:

dirtnsno8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 with just over 10,000 on it and I too get a faint smell of coolant, but no leaks

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Same here 30K, coolant smell real slight. added about 3 oz's mopar coolant a year ago to bring it to half min/max line. maybe had an air pocket. spent time when I change oil no visible leaks. still under warranty. Have slight tick, and what I think is excessive chirping exhaust, those were deemed normal by the "experts".

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
with a closed cooling system, if it werent leaking then you wouldnt be able to smell it. simple as that. what most people are probly experiencing is a small leak of two or three drops when engine is cold then the gasket/oring/mating surfaces expand and seal when engine gets hot. at night with cold engine theres a couple drops again. this cycle goes on every day but as long as nothing progresses for the worse then these couple drops will take a long time to have any noticable impact on resorvoir level. the couple drops arent hitting the ground because they drip onto other components first, possibly something that will get hot and theyll dry out each time engine gets hot, which gives off the smell, the blowing air from the engine fan also amplifies the smell. if you look close i could almost gaurantee somewhere youll see dried up purple areas on a engine component

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
with a closed cooling system, if it werent leaking then you wouldnt be able to smell it. simple as that. what most people are probly experiencing is a small leak of two or three drops when engine is cold then the gasket/oring/mating surfaces expand and seal when engine gets hot. at night with cold engine theres a couple drops again. this cycle goes on every day but as long as nothing progresses for the worse then these couple drops will take a long time to have any noticable impact on resorvoir level. the couple drops arent hitting the ground because they drip onto other components first, possibly something that will get hot and theyll dry out each time engine gets hot, which gives off the smell, the blowing air from the engine fan also amplifies the smell. if you look close i could almost gaurantee somewhere youll see dried up purple areas on a engine component

That all sounds good and makes complete sense to me ! ! !

Reactions: Val

Mark RAM2017 HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum but thought this would be a great place to start with my issue. 2017 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi 40,000 miles: about a month ago I did get a slight smell of burning anti-freeze. Checked level and it was fine. No noticeable leaks on the ground or in engine bay. Over the weekend driving along, come to a stop light and smell burning anti-freeze and see steam coming from under the hood. Temp gauge shot up to hot. I pulled over and there is now definitely a leak. Got the truck towed to dealer. Initial inspection did not reveal any of the "normal" leak parts. No hoses, clamps, etc. They said it appears to be leaking from the back of the motor. They will put in some dye and do an ultra violet light scan to see where its coming from. Does this sound like an intake manifold gasket? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought an '16 with 26k on the odometer in December. Started noticing the antifreeze smell within the first day or two and was worried about it. I've only put about 1,500 miles on it since (not a daily driver) but either the smell is getting fainter or I'm just used to it. Never been able to find any leaks and the level is full.

The truck did sit on the dealers lot for around 4 months so I could see a small leak accumulating, but usually the coolant system leaks more when it's hot because of the pressure.

Anyway, reading these posts it seems to be pretty common so not as worried about it.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hi guys,
Well since this thread is back again... my truck still has a faint coolant smell.

I've not taken it in for it because I'm not losing any coolant, see nothing on the trucks undercarriage or on the ground and am guessing they will just call it normal.

Maybe I'll take it in eventually. For the past 3 yrs I've just lived with it

Bigseff23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 6.4 and every now and then I get a slight coolent smell. I'm talking like once every 2 or 3 weeks I might smell it. I did have to add about 120z of water but that was the first time in the almost 3 years and 37k miles I've had it

W-150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had it from day one. Found a cracked tank on the radiator where the over flow nipple is. This was at 1000 miles on the clock. The dealer replaced it with no push back at all. the truck was good for most of last summer but since about November I'm smelling it again. Small yellow puddle in the snow under the center of the truck. So far I don't see the level dropping in the expansion tank but there is definitely a very small leak somewhere...

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Had it from day one. Found a cracked tank on the radiator where the over flow nipple is. This was at 1000 miles on the clock. The dealer replaced it with no push back at all. the truck was good for most of last summer but since about November I'm smelling it again. Small yellow puddle in the snow under the center of the truck. So far I don't see the level dropping in the expansion tank but there is definitely a very small leak somewhere...

Yellow? The mopar OAT coolant is purple. Are you sure something didn't pee there? Lol. Just kidding. But that does not sound like coolant.

I'll have to get mine in to have it pressure tested at some point.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine has been pressure tested and I still can smell coolant when the engine is hot. The dealer said the hoses are known to be slightly porous and to check coolant occasionally. Our Jeep & Charger were the same way.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Mine has been pressure tested and I still can smell coolant when the engine is hot. The dealer said the hoses are known to be slightly porous and to check coolant occasionally. Our Jeep & Charger were the same way.

Well that is interesting. A rubber coolant hose for a pressurized system is not something I typically think is a porous item.

Probably is the case though. Thanks

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well that is interesting. A rubber coolant hose for a pressurized system is not something I typically think is a porous item.

Probably is the case though. Thanks

Yeah my father has a 2014 laramie longhorn 2500, I have an 18 power wagon. My wife has a 15 durango and we've had two grand cherokees. a 15 and a 17. every single one I can smell coolant on. This porous hose thing seems to hold some weight. The only difference is that I could smell it inside on my wife's 17 grand cherokee.