2017 2500 Top Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm a newbie truck owner and have a 2017 Ram 2500 with a 6.4l. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. So every once in a while maybe 3-5 times a week of I'm just frustrated with drivers that don't know the left lane is for cars passing or if I just want a little thrill I give my car the juice. The engine roars and the thing takes off like someone lit a fire under its ass. I've topped it out once or twice at 104 which had a surprisingly low RPM lowerd down to about 2000 at 104mph (on a completely clear road of course). I was wondering though if goosing the engine like that will hurt it at all. I know redlining it will and I know that extended periods of very high RPMs will but I was wondering how tough the engines on these trucks are and how much punishment it can take. The truck only has 7,000 miles in it.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
It would hurt the trans more than the engine especially flooring it while in 6th gear causing to abruptly down shift to 2nd. High rpms will generally not do too much damage to modern engines as long as the oil is at operating temp when you do get on it and it is changed regularly. Rule of thumb, don't be too rough on your engine for the first 10-15 from a cold start. It takes about that much time for the engine oil to get to operating temp and if it is not at operating temp when you are at high rpms then the viscosity will be too thick to properly coat the entire engine causing excessive wear.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
These motors are made to pull at high rpm. I think running like that empty wouldn't do anything to it.

X2 on trans though. I try not to floor it and let it abruptly change gears. Usually ease into it after it down shifts.

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks for both your replies I figured it wasn't "good" for it. I try not to jam the gas when at a complete stop. It's usually when I'm already going 50-60 on the highway. I'm also always gentle when I first start it up. I wait til the engine is hot and the cars been running for 10-15 minutes. I'll try to be a little easier on it though.

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So it is speed limited to 104?
Yeah the Governor stops it at 104. You might be able to go a little faster if you're going downhill or with the wind but my truck cut the RPMs down to 2000 immediately at 104 and would budge even with the pedal floored.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the manual for my 5.7 it says to floor it during "cruising speeds" to help break in the engine.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I've had mine up to at least 110 on an empty highwy, at least thats what the speedo said. I know my 1500 5.7 cut out at 104 as I was surprised to see the speedo at 110.

FWIW, completely stable and vibration free at that speed. Had to slow down as my exit was coming up fast lol.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I hit 80 on the interstate today and was guessing with my wife how fast it would go. Guess I know now haha.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I've had mine up to at least 110 on an empty highwy, at least thats what the speedo said. I know my 1500 5.7 cut out at 104 as I was surprised to see the speedo at 110.

FWIW, completely stable and vibration free at that speed. Had to slow down as my exit was coming up fast lol.

Yeah, it is very stable at high speeds. I had mine up to about 120 mph for a brief instant when I first deleted it. I didn't know the EFI tune removed the governor.

Was getting on the high way picking up speed to merge when some ****** in a Beemer was in the right lane. As I was coming up the long ramp I can see that he sped up(I could here it's exhaust) so that he could block me from merging. I went full tilt and switched the CSP4 to the 475 hp/1,100 lb-ft tune(for the first time) and the dang thing went into ludicrous speed. Before I knew it, the Beemer was about 3 car lengths behind me and my speedo was clicking 120 mph.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Someone said "redline" and as far as I know these trucks don't have one. I know my tach doesn't. Reason being everything is computer controlled to remove us humans from being able to cause damage. So, basically, go nuts and you can't seriously hurt the truck. You well may run into something and hurt yourself (and the truck) but I'm pretty sure technology has solved some things.

Thank god that technology didn't exist when I was a kid or I never would have had any fun.... in moving vehicles anyway :)