2017 3/4-Ton Work Truck Challenge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Either Ford or GMC will take it. Ram is the under dog IMO.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I didn't see much in the way of details as far as what tests they're going to be doing but I guess it's going to come down to specific configurations of each truck. I predict the Nissan will be dead last, narrowly beating out the Chevy for that dishonor. With the 6.4L being the only gas engine in 2017, if the truck is configured with 4.10s I think the Ram walks away with it. If 3.73s, I think the Ford puts up a little bit of a fight but the Ram probably wins in the end.

Obviously some of us might be a little biased here since we're all Ram owners lol.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
If gearing is as close to equal as the companies offer I think the Ram walks away with it for true HD use. Better HD suspension, towing, cargo and it's a Hemi!!! Hope they don't cheat the Ram like they did in the last test by putting more weight on it/in it than they did the others.

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
After some looking I found out that Ford mated the 2017 6.2L with the shorter geared 6R80 Torqfhift 6-speed(Torqshift-G), which was in the 2009-2014 F150, in place of the taller geared 6R140 Torqshift. This along with the upped engine torque rating to 430 lb-ft will make a big difference off the line.

Ford 6R80
1st: 4.17
2nd: 2.34
3rd: 1.52
4th: 1.14
5th: 0.87
6th: 0.69

-vs-

Ram 66RFE
1st: 3.23
2nd: 1.84
3rd: 1.41
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.82
6th: 0.63

Last edited:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Real world:

Ford
Nissan
Chevy
Ram

We have already seen how the 6.4 stacks up to a Chevy 6.0 on the Ike, well behind the 6.0...

Kingsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Never understood GM with their square wheel well openings for a round tire. Looks so damn out of place.

My prediction:

Ford
Ram
Chevy
Nissan

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Real world:

Ford
Nissan
Chevy
Ram

We have already seen how the 6.4 stacks up to a Chevy 6.0 on the Ike, well behind the 6.0...

Not this Ike crap again. This horse has been beaten so many times. Yes, Ram has a "feature" that hobbles the truck under certain very specific conditions. In most conditions that most people see, it's a non-issue. I doubt this test will have the trucks towing > 10k lbs up a 7%+ grade at > 9500 feet. If that's the test, we all know you bought the wrong truck if you're trying that with a gasser. Forced induction wins at high altitudes. But regardless, I'd rather have my truck last longer and take an extra minute to get up a big ass hill than get up the hill quickly and blow up after doing it a few times.

All that aside, the Ram has come out ahead in towing tests in other situations. So, again, it depends on the specifics of the test. And for the love of God, can we please stop beating this Ike crap. The horse is dead. :beatdeadhorse5:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Not this Ike crap again. This horse has been beaten so many times. Yes, Ram has a "feature" that hobbles the truck under certain very specific conditions. In most conditions that most people see, it's a non-issue. I doubt this test will have the trucks towing > 10k lbs up a 7%+ grade at > 9500 feet. If that's the test, we all know you bought the wrong truck if you're trying that with a gasser. Forced induction wins at high altitudes. But regardless, I'd rather have my truck last longer and take an extra minute to get up a big ass hill than get up the hill quickly and blow up after doing it a few times.

All that aside, the Ram has come out ahead in towing tests in other situations. So, again, it depends on the specifics of the test. And for the love of God, can we please stop beating this Ike crap. The horse is dead. :beatdeadhorse5:

Forced induction doesn't win at high altitude, a maxed out GM 6.0 wins. We know this because a 6.4 well under max capacity couldn't do what a GM 6.0 at max capacity did and same weight as 6.4. If reference is to a 6.0 having engine failure doing multipule tests, it's decades old proven durability. If the engine failure was in regards to 6.4, could be as its a new motor without a proven record.

Apparently the horse is alive and well as the comparison is back, long live the horse!!!

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MY GUESS:
RAM
FORD
CHEVY
NISSAN
now im not sure what the whole challenge is but it seems to me like they want to focus on speed and acceleration now i hope it being a 3/4 ton challenge we will see events like what we see on TFtrucks on youtube with the gauntlet with towing, payload, ride comfort, 0-60, ect. really excited for how this turns out. lets all get our beers and favortie seat on the couch and watch. :happy107:

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Forced induction doesn't win at high altitude

Although I know you were just saying this to be vindictive, he is right in saying that a forced induction wins over a naturally aspirated at high altitudes and you are wrong for insinuating that it doesn't.

Naturally aspirated engines loose roughly 3% power or every 1,000 ft in elevation while a turbocharged forced induction engine will loose about 1.5% for every 1,000 ft depending on the turbo. Newer turbos will have less of a power loss due to better blade and bearings technology allowing for much higher and reliable turbo rpms.

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
my guess if its tfl ford ford ford then gm then titan then ram because they don't like rams period.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Forced induction doesn't win at high altitude, a maxed out GM 6.0 wins.

Ok cool. So let's go ahead and take that maxed out GM 6.0 and run it against a CTD, Powerstroke or Duramax. Now tell me forced induction doesn't win. The point is that the Ike is a very specific test that a N/A gas motor is all wrong for. We've all acknowledged that the Ram 6.4L was outperformed by the Ford and GM. What we don't know is the long term effects on either the engine or transmission of running the truck right on the ragged edge many times. It could be fine or it may not. Ram decided to err on the side of caution while it seems GM and Ford let the truck run a little more. That's ok. No truck will do every single thing perfectly.

But, for this new test, hopefully since they are choosing all gas V8s for the trucks, the test will be a sane representation of what gas engines are good at: low to moderate altitudes. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Real world:

Ford
Nissan
Chevy
Ram

:roflsquared::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::buffer::buffer: And you OWN the last place finisher.You must be very SAD...:flipthebird:

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would like to see the tests be conducted with less human error/traffic with similar ratios and loads. Each time I see these tests perform I cringe. I bought a RAM because of specs, not Ike tests. There's no doubt all perform well. I would bet that if you performed the same test on different days, you would get a different outcome. My 2 cents.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I sure wish Ram would put an appropriately geared transmission behind the 6.4l.

The 6.4 wasn't beat by the 6.0. The 66rfe lets down the 6.4 in that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

FCA resources all but confirmed a new trans would not appear before the next generation HD is released (2020). Good news is that they did confirm a new trans would be released with the next model:)

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I think Ram has a winner in the 6.4, but it does need a better geared transmission. With that, it would be an all out beast as little brother to the Cummins. But I live on the East Coast, we don't have grades like the Ike. Shew, lucky for me! I will probably never encounter that situation like TFL Truck did.

Even with the tranny gearing, I tried all three makes, and the Ram just took the cake for me. I will take a better interior, suspension and better looking (my opinion) truck. I love my 6.4 though. It fits my needs perfectly.

Would I love a Cummins? Of course! But, it wasn't in my budget and didn't make practical sense as I only tow 5-6 times a year.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine

Oh it was spanked...

Attachments

• 6a00d83451b3c669e201a511e7ae86970c-800wi.jpg
    6a00d83451b3c669e201a511e7ae86970c-800wi.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 85