2017 3/4-Ton Work Truck Challenge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I actually don't mind the styling of the Fords, it's a decent looking truck with bigger tires on it. I'm a Mopar guy thru and thru, but like I said can't go wrong with any of the big 3. In beyond happy with my truck and hope I can stop my vehicle ADD and keep it long term. I'll be doing my level, 37s and 4.56s this summer

Thats a good way of putting it vehicle ADD. I have the same. The rear of the fords is what i dont know how to take. Sometimes it looks good sometimes not.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As with most trucks these days they look like they skipped leg day, SDs take it to another level! With some decent wheels and tires they look pretty good. Still prefer the Ram over them all obviously.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i still prefer my hd with a solid front axle. had ifs in my last truck,sure it handled nice,but i had to rebuild it twice.it just couldn't take the punishment.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Signing on tonight and seeing recent posts on this thread reminds me of when I first moved out of my parent's house with a bunch of roommates.

You pass out/sleep after partying all night only to wake up 4 hours later and realize the party is still going on. As you're staggering to the bathroom to **** and vomit your foggy brain is thinking, "Holy ****, these guys are still at it?" :favorites13:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Signing on tonight and seeing recent posts on this thread reminds me of when I first moved out of my parent's house with a bunch of roommates.

You pass out/sleep after partying all night only to wake up 4 hours later and realize the party is still going on. As you're staggering to the bathroom to **** and vomit your foggy brain is thinking, "Holy ****, these guys are still at it?" :favorites13:
And there's always the one guy with a **** drawn on his forehead....

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And there's always the one guy with a **** drawn on his forehead....

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I had one drawn on the back of my neck with a sharpie. Class was mighty awkward the next day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Oh, found another but call me a hater.... That cuts deep, my PW was $60k so I'm not a hater but a realist. Granted I paid no where close to that!! Resale value and Ram in the same thought, that's a Ike challenge type of epic fail. They don't hold value as you can buy them cheap.

How dare anyone think a truck can perform to its advertised capacity, oh the agony....
Did any kids in your family not get dropped on there heads.:roflsquared:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
He's an idiot, choosing to ignore him so hopefully he goes away.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
my PW was $60k so I'm not a hater but a realist.

How dare anyone think a truck can perform to its advertised capacity, oh the agony....

First, nobody cares what the sticker on your PW is. You sound like you're trying to brag and you're impressing nobody.

2nd, the Ram actually does perform to its advertised capacity. The problem here is the Ike is far more punishing than the SAE J2807 Davis Dam route (where the advertised capacities come from). It's also a couple thousand feet higher in elevation. We've already established that trying to pull that kind of weight up a 7%+ grade at that altitude is a ridiculous test for a N/A gas engine. 1st and 2nd being too far apart in the 66RFE causing the transmission to hunt for gears too much does not mean the truck can't perform at capacity. If they'd have loaded the truck to capacity, it still would have pulled the load up the Ike, and probably in similar times, because once again the motor wasn't lacking power, the transmission lacks correct gearing. At full capacity, the gear hold still would have activated and the truck still would have marched on up the Ike at 30-35 mph. You continuously saying the Ram can't perform to advertised capacity is disingenuous at best.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Did any kids in your family not get dropped on there heads.:roflsquared:

His argument is ********.

Yes Ram generally has better incentives and dealer discounts than GM and… oh right, Ford doesn’t even have any. It’s a bad thing that Ram is competitively trying to move volume and get people into their trucks? They know they are the underdog but they are selling almost on par with GM now. From the consumers perspective, If you are going to take any bad hit on resale it would be if you try to trade in quick within the first couple years (which might be what he wants to do since he hates the 6.4). But that can be said for pretty much any new car. The truck market is actually one of the best at the moment and you would have an advantage to sell privately or even in trade as long as you don’t let yourself get stiffed by a dealer. Try trading in ANY car that you bought within the last couple years and not getting nailed by depreciation.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

Yes Ram generally has better incentives and dealer discounts than GM and… oh right, Ford doesn’t even have any. It’s a bad thing that Ram is competitively trying to move volume and get people into their trucks? They know they are the underdog but they are selling almost on par with GM now. From the consumers perspective, If you are going to take any bad hit on resale it would be if you try to trade in quick within the first couple years (which might be what he wants to do since he hates the 6.4). But that can be said for pretty much any new car. The truck market is actually one of the best at the moment and you would have an advantage to sell privately or even in trade as long as you don’t let yourself get stiffed by a dealer. Try trading in ANY car that you bought within the last couple years and not getting nailed by depreciation.

Not to get too far off the topic but you're correct, the used truck market is GREAT and I can attest to the Rams holding good value. My 2009 1500 TRX4 that was totaled last January had 130,000 miles and I was still paid $22,000 for it by the insurance company. 7 years old and it only lost $9,000 dollars from what I paid for it new off the lot.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I agree. I got my SLT for cheaper than I could get an XL all vinyl f250 work truck.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Couple of years ago I sold a 2003 Ram 1500 with just over 100k for $9,500. Granted it was in great condition but still, I could hardly believe what people were willing to pay. So also not seeing the resale factor as an issue vs Ford or Chevy.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yeah, used truck market is strong. 2 years ago when I bought my 15, I sold my 95 2500 with 286,000 on the clock. I got $2500 in trade for it. It was about $2000 more than I thought I was going to get. NADA on my 15 is $31000 with 33,500 on the clock; I paid 40k for it so I'm not that unhappy with the depreciation.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long and fuel prices are low, used trucks will hold value pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
oh, does this bring back memories... I was pretty much a Ford fan-boy. But when it came time to replace my 2000 Super Duty v10 4x4 supercab, I was a bit put off by the pricing on the newer models. So I started looking around. I really liked the Ram... and was able to get a MUCH better deal than on a year-old/leftover Super Duty that was similarly equipped. My Super Duty had only 86k miles on it, but had a salvage title (1 wreck, 1 theft). The dealership offered me $1500. no freaking way. I put it on Craigslist on a Friday evening. Within 2 hours I had 3 calls. The first guy that came to look at it the next morning drove it around the block, pulled into the driveway, & said "I'll take it". Didn't even dicker on price. I listed it for $5k... and that's what I got... and sold it in 16 HOURS. Everyone said I could've got a lot more for it. I didn't want to be too greedy. I bought it for $4200 four years earlier with 73k on it.

My only gripes on the Ram are pretty minor. The engine sounds like a box of crickets... and I don't like the vertical positioning of the brake pedal (too high). Other than that, I love it. Great power... comfortable... super quiet... and surprisingly good fuel economy. It always cracks me up that people have such a hard time finding trucks with the 4.10s... that was ALL my dealer had in stock!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
It always cracks me up that people have such a hard time finding trucks with the 4.10s... that was ALL my dealer had in stock!

What dealer? I never see any trucks with 4.10 on the lots lol.

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mohemipar,

I bought mine from Zeigler in Illinois, but they have them in Michigan also. Dons Auto Clinic had many as well. They are out there if you are willing to search.

Never had issues with RAM resell value or dependability. When searching for 3/4HD trucks this past year, the RAM was my only choice. The options for GM & Ford were way too expensive for the options. I ended up with a 3500 Laramie CC 6.4 with 4:10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye