2017 3/4-Ton Work Truck Challenge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Any guesses on how this is going to turn out?

My guess:
1st Ram
2nd Ford
3rd Chevy
4th Nissan
What are they testing, what are they comparing, what are the rules, what is valued? This article contains none of that info, and it would be like throwing spaghetti at the wall to "guess" the result of a test where we don't know any details about what they are testing.

My guess is that until we know how points or rankings are accrued, its simply impossible to guess who "wins".

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Any guesses on how this is going to turn out?

My guess:
1st Ram
2nd Ford
3rd Chevy
4th Nissan

Holy crap ST... You really know how to stir the :poop:!
Personally, for the first time ever, I think all of the big 3 have a good looking truck. In the past, I think at least 1 of the 3 had an ugly duckling in the line up. With that being said, I just bought my truck a year ago, so I have not test drove any of the new trucks.
From info read last year I would guess...

1st Chevy
2nd Ram
3rd Ford
4th Nissan

Do I win anything if I guessed right? :roflsquared:

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Oh it was spanked...

I don't think so... Why do you only look at that one test especially when just about all of the owners here have stated that they do not tow in situations like the Ike. Most here tow in the conditions that the GM 6.0L got spanked by the 6.4L.

2014 Ultimate Three-Quarter-Ton HD Challenge

First place finishes:
Ram: 10/16
GM: 4/16
Ford: 2/16

It is not about just one race unless you are purposely being bias. That is like saying your favorite football team sucks because they lost one game, yet they won the Superbowl that season.(yes, it sounds that idiotic when you only focus on the Ike) It is about how well it does all around that wins the day especially if it wins in the areas where most truck owners will use it. In that regard, it wasn't the Ram that got spanked......

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't think so... Why do you only look at that one test especially when just about all of the owners here have stated that they do not tow in situations like the Ike. Most here tow in the conditions that the GM 6.0L got spanked by the 6.4L.

He is literally too stupid for rational conversation. That's why.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine

What towing condition did the 6.4 win against the 6.0? There was only one towing challenge in that shoot out, the rest was payload.

No one finds its interesting that a decade old 360hp 6.0 at the manufactures maximum rated capacity out performed a technology advanced 410hp 6.4 well below manufactures maximum rated capacity? Wasn't j2807 established to keep this from happening???

Hmmmm, somebody overrated while someone under rated....

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I sure hope they post the gears used in the test trucks. I know the 6.2 is an entire different animal with 4.30's vs the more common 3.73. From my recent research, the 6.4 sounds the same, using the 4.10's. I have no idea why so many gas work trucks are equipped with the 3.73 gears that work best in a diesel. If all the HD gassers came the with working/towing gears, they would be even more popular.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think it will be close between the ford and ram no matter how they test them. Nissan will be last with the 5/8 ton.

OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
What towing condition did the 6.4 win against the 6.0? There was only one towing challenge in that shoot out, the rest was payload.

No one finds its interesting that a decade old 360hp 6.0 at the manufactures maximum rated capacity out performed a technology advanced 410hp 6.4 well below manufactures maximum rated capacity? Wasn't j2807 established to keep this from happening???

The 6.4L did out do the GM 6.0L in one towing condition and that was the top speed going up the Eisenhower Pass before the transmission put it in limp mode.

Again, I know we keep telling you this(because you keep refusing to listen to factual logic), but it wasn't the 6.0L that beat the 6.4L. It was GM's 6L90 transmission that outperformed the Ram's 66RFE transmission. When you finally comprehend this then you will finally understand why nobody is surprised or finds it as interesting as you do since we have all been saying that the weak link of a 6.4L HD is the 66RFE. If it wasn't for the transmission putting the truck in limp mode, there is no doubts that the 6.4L would have outperformed the 6.0L going up the pass just like it did with all the other test.

You run that same test at Davis Damn where the J2807 is performed and I bet the Ram 6.4L would be on the top of the pass waiting for the GM 6.0L to get there a few minutes later.

Repeat this however many times you need to until you finally get it through your head......

"It was the GM 6L90 that beat the Ram 66RFE, and not the GM 6.0L that beat the Ram 6.4L."

Last edited:
OP
OP
SouthTexan

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Although, talking about the 66RFE limp mode and the Ike. I am wondering if they took the limp mode out now that there is no lifetime warranty offered with the 6.4L anymore. I am willing to bet anyone that is why they put the limp mode or "nanny programming" in the transmission in the first place. To make it almost impossible to fail so they don't have to pay out for these lifetime warranties they offered.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
PUTC states 3 of the 4 where 2wd but it hasn't said which one was 4wd yet (Edit - looks like the Nissan is 4wd) The Torqueshift-G behind the 6.2 looks sweet for a 6 speed. That and the higher torque rating of the 6.2 which comes in at 3800 rpm instead of 4500 is going to make the Ford a tough competitor. If this test is anything like Motortrends' review of the new 2017 SuperDuty 6.2 w/3.73's where it bettered the 6.4 w/ 4.10's, the Hemi has its work cut out for it. However, in that same test the Ford only managed 0.5 mpg better than the Hemi on the hwy. This testing was done during the same time Motortrend tested the new 6.7L Powerstroke where they claim the 6.7L PS is rated at 23.7 mpg on the hwy and looking at real world reviews, that's no where close....just sayin'.

Last edited:

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Old Ford 9n Farm tractor can pull a hay wagon better than my Altima which out powers it by 4:1..

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The Ike test where the Ram was towing 3000 pounds more than the Ford and 2000 more than the Chevy. Where the transmission/differential gear ratios of the Ram put it as the worst of the three for towing.....where it still accomplished what neither the Ford or Chevy has the ratings to do. Yep, that test really proved the Ram sucked....

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PUTC states 3 of the 4 where 2wd but it hasn't said which one was 4wd yet (Edit - looks like the Nissan is 4wd) The Torqueshift-G behind the 6.2 looks sweet for a 6 speed. That and the higher torque rating of the 6.2 which comes in at 3800 rpm instead of 4500 is going to make the Ford a tough competitor. If this test is anything like Motortrends' review of the new 2017 SuperDuty 6.2 w/3.73's where it bettered the 6.4 w/ 4.10's, the Hemi has its work cut out for it. However, in that same test the Ford only managed 0.5 mpg better than the Hemi on the hwy. This testing was done during the same time Motortrend tested the new 6.7L Powerstroke where they claim the 6.7L PS is rated at 23.7 mpg on the hwy and looking at real world reviews, that's no where close....just sayin'.

The biggest complaint of 2017 6.7 over in the Ford Forum I frequent is the poor mpg vs the previous gen trucks. That claim is a bit ridiculous.

I have the new 6R100 F250 tranny and 4.30's. The truck pulls a lot better than the previous gen and I can feel the lower torque curve. The new tranny has the same gearing the old Raptors had w/the 6.2.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's
The biggest complaint of 2017 6.7 over in the Ford Forum I frequent is the poor mpg vs the previous gen trucks. That claim is a bit ridiculous.

I have the new 6R100 F250 tranny and 4.30's. The truck pulls a lot better than the previous gen and I can feel the lower torque curve. The new tranny has the same gearing the old Raptors had w/the 6.2.

I like learning about what's new and have perused the threads over on the Ford Forum and seen some of your posts. Why MotorTrend would publish mpg from a vehicle that probably was only drove at 55 mph and probably never regen'd IS RIDICULOUS. I was really looking at the 6.2L back in 2013 before I got this 6.4 Hemi. Drove 5 or 6 of them, 1 with the 4.30's but it was used and beat up so I passed, but it was the only 6.2 that felt like it had some nuts...once it got rev'd up to 3800 and wasn't shifting into 6th gear at 35 mph. Did Ford improve the shift pattern for the 2017's gassers? Whether it be RAM, FORD, or GM, the shift patterns on these computer controlled vehicles ****** most of us off at some point.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I like learning about what's new and have perused the threads over on the Ford Forum and seen some of your posts. Why MotorTrend would publish mpg from a vehicle that probably was only drove at 55 mph and probably never regen'd IS RIDICULOUS. I was really looking at the 6.2L back in 2013 before I got this 6.4 Hemi. Drove 5 or 6 of them, 1 with the 4.30's but it was used and beat up so I passed, but it was the only 6.2 that felt like it had some nuts...once it got rev'd up to 3800 and wasn't shifting into 6th gear at 35 mph. Did Ford improve the shift pattern for the 2017's gassers? Whether it be RAM, FORD, or GM, the shift patterns on these computer controlled vehicles ****** most of us off at some point.

Amen to that.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Old Ford 9n Farm tractor can pull a hay wagon better than my Altima which out powers it by 4:1..

I don't get what your saying, a Ford 9N is a tractor and an Altima is a car. We are talking about comparing 3/4 ton trucks with gas engines, not a 3/4 ton vs a supercar.

I am wondering if they took the limp mode out now that there is no lifetime warranty offered with the 6.4L anymore.

When was a lifetime warranty offered other than extended warranty Maxcare Lifetime which can still be purchased?

The good news that the ram did have the highest speed on the Ike test, along with the slowest run time.

Advance 6.4 bolted to a crappy transmission doesn't fix the issue of a decade old 50hp less 6.0 walked all over it. Either it wins or it loses, blame the transmission but if it can't put the power to the ground its useless....

Didn't seem to have issues in the power wagon on the Ike.

2016 Ram Power Wagon Ike Gauntlet Towing Test: Corrected - The Fast Lane Truck