2017 Ram 2500 6.4, possible engine issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hey y'all, I have noticed an issue with my new Ram. It's got a little over 700 miles on it.

First off, on my daily commute, running empty, I'm averaging 10mpg. When i checked it today i was down to 8.9 mpg, but part of that was doing a test tow of my TT.

The past 2 times I've driven it, when i get out at home, i sweari smell rotten eggs from the exhaust, again, i assume.

Typically those two symptoms tell me its running rich, putting too much fuel into the exhaust and overheating the converter.

I'm thinking a call to the dealer is in order. Any thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated.

On at least one occasion, when i started it, it seemed to have a slight miss.

Could this also be an EGR issue there's a TSB out on right now?

I've not gotten it up to highway speeds much since i got it end of December. I wonder if that's an issue?

Thanks
G

Last edited:

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Hey y'all, I have noticed an issue with my new Ram. It's got a little over 700 miles on it.

First off, on my daily commute, running empty, I'm averaging 10mpg. When i checked it today i was down to 8.9 mpg, but part of that was doing a test tow of my TT.

The past 2 times I've driven it, when i get out at home, i sweari smell rotten eggs from the exhaust, again, i assume.

Typically those two symptoms tell me its running rich, putting too much fuel into the exhaust and overheating the converter.

I'm thinking a call to the dealer is in order. Any thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated.

On at least one occasion, when i started it, it seemed to have a slight miss.

Could this also be an EGR issue there's a TSB out on right now?

I've not gotten it up to highway speeds much since i got it end of December. I wonder if that's an issue?

Thanks
G

Sounds like you just worked it out good. What size is the camper? When I tow my mpg is typically 9. Best I have seen is 9.5 on a 5 hour flat tow to Michigan. Camper weighs about 9k and is a TT. And maybe the way its running is related to the egr recall.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
At 700 miles I wouldn't say much is out of the ordinary unless it's actually missing. These motors have been noted to not getting great mpg while in break in period and the power seems to really come on around 15k. I'd maybe bring it in so they can check everything over for just in casr and documenting things but I wouldn't worry to much. At 700 miles your exhaust is just now breaking in.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ok, thanks guys. It seems to be running normally to me. It's not missing or anything. I did notice it was missing one time on initial start up but it's been a few weeks. This past tank, again, i did put about 5 miles on it towing or so, but more ideling than usual. I noticed after that tow it smelled hot, but it was a warm day and that was the first time with a load of any kind except the time i picked up 15 bags of mulch for a lady at church.

My TT is 6k gvwr. I guess for now I'll just keep an eye on it. I don't want to take it in and have them tell me there's no issue or whatever. Seems to have the same power it's always had since new.

If it gets worse (smell), starts missing all the time or loses a bunch of power, I'll take it in.

Is there a dodge website i can enter my vin to check for recalls? I wonder if my 17 is too new for that egr tsb? (12/16 production date)

Also, no CEL.

Thanks guys
G

Last edited:

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a noticeable difference in performance, MPGs, and overall feel of the motor at 10k miles. It was like a switch had flipped. Maybe not that extreme, but definetly noticeable. I've read similar experiences with other 6.4s.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i wouldnt worry about your truck right now. thats hardly any miles, and it might have gotten a little overworked.

i live up a 12 mile very steep hill at 9300 feet. when my truck was brand new / very low miles it would smell hot and have an occasional tick when i got home after being hard on it up that hill.

today, im at 14k. the truck quit doing all that quirky stuff at 7000 to 8000 and really woke up.

the best mileage i get is 11.9 - 12.4 but im up and down a lot on hills. tow mode is always on to help keep truck from lugging a little.

happy sunday comrades!

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
700 miles...So your on your 3rd full tank of fuel...One bad fillup of ****** gas will give some of the issues you described...My suggestion is to experiment with different fuel brands and octanes...Also get your truck on the highway and run this latest tank down while in tow haul...Then fill it up with something other than what you have been using...

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Thanks for all the replies guys, i really appreciate them. The last thing i want to do is take it in and either have something happen to it or they tell me there's no issue.

I did crawl under it today to look at the cats and they seem normal, no discoloration or anything so they couldn't have gotten that hot.

I did see some sort of tape or sticker or something where the left side down pipe crosses over to the right side by the trans. It looks like it's burning off so I wonder if that's what I'm smelling when it gets hot on warm days? Could be.

I'm just going to run it for now. Fuel wise I've been running sheetz 89 octane since new. I have filled it several times, but don't let it go below half tank.

If the power really comes on around 10k i will be very impressed, because she already feels very stout! :) fuel mileage I'm not concerned with as long as is running properly. I didn't buy a 3/4 ton HD truck for that.

I'm very very happy with this rig so far. I love it.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
one more random thought. i think shoot2kill has a valid point about gasoline. a friend of mine used to own several service stations in denver. he did years of fuel quality analysis and mileage testing etc. might want to make sure you use " top tier " gasoline in your truck - like shell, conoco, phillips 66 etc. costco is also top tier. grocery stores, in general , are not. there are no add packs in the generic gasoline and their quality may be less than the big names. you get what you pay for is true in this instance, in my opinion. cheers!

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ok thanks. I wonder if Sam's club is considered top tier also?

I don't know of any fuel stations in my area except sheetz, royal farms and rutters.

Maybe I'll do some more checking

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Ok thanks. I wonder if Sam's club is considered top tier also?

I don't know of any fuel stations in my area except sheetz, royal farms and rutters.

Maybe I'll do some more checking

gasbuddy.com

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
if and when a tsb popped up I would take the vehicle in and have the part fixed/replaced personally.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get, probably 11 or so on average in mixed town (stop and go) and 2 lane back roads.. a little more Town and it drops more, a little more back roads and it rise More..Now, this is ME driving.. I pay attention a bit to RPMS and the MDS, etc..

My wife, driving, same truck, in same circumstances Averages 10 or so.. She pays little attention to anything than getting to her destination.

Strictly back roads I have seen in the mid teens,, On the interstate, I can see 18-20 or so, but I have only been on the interstate for a few 7 mile trips or so.

About 9.4 towing 6500'ish pounds up and down very hilly terrain on the interstate.. Taking camper to the beach friday, should be noticeably flatter and about 4 hour drive, I'm anxious to see if its better.

I think your fine, it seems this truck is VERY sensitive to pedal pressure!

Last edited:
OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I get, probably 11 or so on average in mixed town (stop and go) and 2 lane back roads.. a little more Town and it drops more, a little more back roads and it rise More..Now, this is ME driving.. I pay attention a bit to RPMS and the MDS, etc..

My wife, driving, same truck, in same circumstances Averages 10 or so.. She pays little attention to anything than getting to her destination.

Strictly back roads I have seen in the mid teens,, On the interstate, I can see 18-20 or so, but I have only been on the interstate for a few 7 mile trips or so.

About 9.4 towing 6500'ish pounds up and down very hilly terrain on the interstate.. Taking camper to the beach friday, should be noticeably flatter and about 4 hour drive, I'm anxious to see if its better.

I think your fine, it seems this truck is VERY sensitive to pedal pressure!

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I appreciate them. I've been driving it like there's an egg on the skinny pedal and trying to break it in gently. It'll get worked taking the tt to the campground and I'm anxious to see how it'll do with a load in the tt and in the truck itself. Hopefully all is ok with it. I'll see if i can find a fuel station in my area that has top tier fuel and go from there. Thanks again