2018 Ram HD spy photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
And the proverbial e-peen competition with the HD trucks continues.

The one thing I would have to ask with all these new found power numbers is if the engines get defueled if the EGT's get too high? It is well known that restrictions in the exhaust and intake cause high EGT's, and a DPF is a very big restriction. With added power comes more fuel. More fuel comes higher EGT's especially with the emissions devises. Hell, even a deleted diesel with a high performance tune will get its EGT's high in a matter of seconds so I have no doubts that with modern ECM's controlling these engines are programmed to defuel if the EGT's get to high.... because they will get high with more power. So this begs me to ask the question, how long are you actually getting these power numbers? I have not doubts that you are getting them unloaded, but are you getting them at mile six into a twelve mile pull up a mountain road or is the ECM defueling you to lower power numbers because your EGTS are too high?

Last edited:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I find it funny that they are apparently testing the Dually with what I assume is a respectably heaven trailer. The problem is it whomever was in charge of hitching it up properly didn't know what the hell he was doing. A simple drop hitch would have been a great idea.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find it funny that they are apparently testing the Dually with what I assume is a respectably heaven trailer. The problem is it whomever was in charge of hitching it up properly didn't know what the hell he was doing. A simple drop hitch would have been a great idea.

lol....that was the 1st thing I noticed when I saw the pic.

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey ST, the discussion on this and the new Duramax has expanded. I believe you (forgive me if I assumed incorrectly) responded over on the RV boards about the Ram may need to switch to piezo injectors and CP4.2 to increase power and meet emissions. Yet it sounds like GM went away from the CP4.2 to a Denso HPFP. Are the Denso a better or more reliable alternative to the CP4? Are the pressures similar? Forgive my ignorance.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
ugh. just what I didn't want to see. I think Ram is copying Ford, and I don't care for the Ford front end or the Ford wheel wells. there's no accounting for taste, right?

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick Internet shows CP3 26k, CP4.2 and denso 29k. I have no clue how the Denso stacks up.

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ugh. just what I didn't want to see. I think Ram is copying Ford, and I don't care for the Ford front end or the Ford wheel wells. there's no accounting for taste, right?
You mean GM?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The Cummins will need higher fuel pressures greater than what the CP3 can provide in order to meet emissions and get these high 440+ hp numbers. Whether that is via a CP4 or whatever Denso has to offer. They may be able to do it other ways but I think it would make an already intrusive emissions system even more intrusive. I am not too familiar with Denso's common rail products other than in Hino diesels. In those diesels, they don't have as high of pressures from the ones I have seen.

Although the CP4 does have higher pressure than the CP3, it doesn't have as much volume. Higher pressures gives you a more complete burn for better emissions, but higher volume gives you more power at the expense of emissions.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That is one hellofa cold weather grill cover.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's that black box hanging down in front of the dually tires

Luke

Attachments

• 6a00d83451b3c669e201bb093ab3b3970d-800wi.jpg
    6a00d83451b3c669e201bb093ab3b3970d-800wi.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
since someone else already brought it up... ST or someone who knows more than me...

If Ford runs the CP4 on the powerstroke, and can make crazy numbers and doesn't seem to have any failures......... why do all the duramaxforum guys have problems and everyone hates the CP4 in the GM camp? Are they different models? Everyone with a duramax making additional power (and even some stock guys) seem to be terrified of the cp4 failing. And all those people doing cp3 swaps and what not on them. Is that just internet fear or is it legit?

in the powerstroke world, no one ever seems to mention cp4 failure, or even lift pump. They just slap a tune on it, make stout numbers, and they seem happy as a clam?

Not to start anything, but that h&s powerstroke with turbo swap make like 660/1240 on stock everything lol. granted it was 40psi, but its still kicking. Meanwhile the duramax they tested.....

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
since someone else already brought it up... ST or someone who knows more than me...

If Ford runs the CP4 on the powerstroke, and can make crazy numbers and doesn't seem to have any failures......... why do all the duramaxforum guys have problems and everyone hates the CP4 in the GM camp? Are they different models? Everyone with a duramax making additional power (and even some stock guys) seem to be terrified of the cp4 failing. And all those people doing cp3 swaps and what not on them. Is that just internet fear or is it legit?

in the powerstroke world, no one ever seems to mention cp4 failure, or even lift pump. They just slap a tune on it, make stout numbers, and they seem happy as a clam?

Not to start anything, but that h&s powerstroke with turbo swap make like 660/1240 on stock everything lol. granted it was 40psi, but its still kicking. Meanwhile the duramax they tested.....

No one ever mentions CP4 pump failure in the Powerstoke world? I would have to disagree with that. Ever since Ford put the CP4 pump on the Powerstoke in 2011, they have been having failure after failure. Just Google "Powerstroke CP4 pump failures" and you will get a list of warranty denied examples. They should have stuck with the pump they had on the 6.4L which is the reason why you can get more power out of 6.4L than the 6.7L with all stock components. The pump on the stock 6.4L had more volume than the 6.7L pump. The same with the CP3 and the CP4. The CP4 has more pressure, but the CP3 has more volume.

Also, the 6.7L Cummins in all stock form is good up to 500 hp at the wheels and is limited by the turbo. Put a bigger turbo on it and you are limited to 700hp due to the injectors and fueling. If you don't believe me, give Ryan Milakin a call at Hardway Performance who used to do all Cummins tuning for H&S before he left which is why they don't do Cummins tuning anymore. Another good person to call is Kory Willis at PPEI.

Last edited:
OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Ford had the CP4.2 problems too. That pump was made for European fuel which has to meet tighter requirements including minimum "lubricity". Over here, our ULSD can often have much less. The CP4 use the fuel as a lubricant and was never initially designed to survive fuel as dry as the fuel often found here. Ford blames water contamination when a CP4 ***** the bed. They have since Revised the design to live longer with less lubricity, but someday that pump will fail.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
well I googled, you are right it does exist. but it still doesn't seem to be anything like the duramax scare. Maybe I just don't read the powerstroke forums enough to see it as often.

hey I'm not disputing which diesel is best. Even down to this basic fact:

Cummins is the only one you can even work on yourself without cussing a storm.