2500/3500 SRW rear-end manufacturer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I assume the 3500 DRW has a completly different rear end but...

who makes the rear ends for the 2016 2500 and 3500 SRW? mine is the 3.73 with "anti-spin". i cant find anything on moparownerconnect.com or on RAM's website. I assume the rear axles on the 2 trucks are the same and the 3500 just had a different suspension setup front and rear.

just wondering is all.

also, who makes my 66RFE transmission? I dont think its is made by AISIN but im just guessing.

thank you for the help. im just learning/researching is all.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I assume the 3500 DRW has a completly different rear end but...

who makes the rear ends for the 2016 2500 and 3500 SRW? mine is the 3.73 with "anti-spin". i cant find anything on moparownerconnect.com or on RAM's website. I assume the rear axles on the 2 trucks are the same and the 3500 just had a different suspension setup front and rear.

just wondering is all.

also, who makes my 66RFE transmission? I dont think its is made by AISIN but im just guessing.

thank you for the help. im just learning/researching is all.

AAM American Axle Manufacturing has made all of the Ram HD axles since 2003.

The 66RFE is made by Chrysler.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
AAM American Axle Manufacturing has made all of the Ram HD axles since 2003.

The 66RFE is made by Chrysler.

thank you sir. what is the general consensus/opinion of the quality of AAM vs... say Dana?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
thank you sir. what is the general consensus/opinion of the quality of AAM vs... say Dana?

AAM makes good products, but they haven't been around as long as Dana/Eaton so they don't have that long history and reputation. AAM makes products for GM as well and many of their half ton and HD trucks had AAM axles under them.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I believe AAM is what used to be GM's corporate axle division, and was sold off in the 90's(?). I had a '95 Tahoe and couldn't keep front axle seals in it from day one. I was at the brink of Lemon Law, and a customer of mine back East was pretty high up the GM Service food chain. He explained to me that GM sold it off because, at the time, much of the tooling was worn out and they could not build stuff within spec. AAM bought it and kept building the same stuff. My good fortune was that he intervened and had the dealer replace the entire front axle with the '97+ design, and the seal problems went away. The bonus was I also got 4WD that engaged properly, unlike that asinine expanding gas, thermo-electric wet dream GM had used.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I believe AAM is what used to be GM's corporate axle division, and was sold off in the 90's(?). I had a '95 Tahoe and couldn't keep front axle seals in it from day one. I was at the brink of Lemon Law, and a customer of mine back East was pretty high up the GM Service food chain. He explained to me that GM sold it off because, at the time, much of the tooling was worn out and they could not build stuff within spec. AAM bought it and kept building the same stuff. My good fortune was that he intervened and had the dealer replace the entire front axle with the '97+ design, and the seal problems went away. The bonus was I also got 4WD that engaged properly, unlike that asinine expanding gas, thermo-electric wet dream GM had used.

This and a strike in 2008 lead them to eventually slowly pull all axle manufacturing in the USA and shipped it to Mexico around by 2012. With the new factory in Mexico, quality actually went up on their axles.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Inappriciate all the info guys. Thank you for your help. Sounds like we made out good with our AAM axles....unless you a cool kid and have the Aisin.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I nappriciate all the info guys. Thank you for your help. Sounds like we made out good with our AAM axles....unless you a cool kid and have the Aisin.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The trucks with the Aisin transmission still have AAM axles. The main reasons why Ram started offering the Aisin is the PTO provision which the 66/68RFE don't have. This opened up the Ram for the wrecker truck market and other industries that require a PTO provision. If you have no use for a PTO, then there is no real need to get an Aisin unless you just want one or need the extra tow rating. The extra power of the Cummins with the Aisin can be had with a tuner/module for much less than the Aisin upgrade.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The trucks with the Aisin transmission still have AAM axles. The main reasons why Ram started offering the Aisin is the PTO provision which the 66/68RFE don't have. This opened up the Ram for the wrecker truck market and other industries that require a PTO provision. If you have no use for a PTO, then there is no real need to get an Aisin unless you just want one or need the extra tow rating. The extra power of the Cummins with the Aisin can be had with a tuner/module for much less than the Aisin upgrade.

good to know. thanks

never considered the aisin having a PTO.... makes scene.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This and a strike in 2008 lead them to eventually slowly pull all axle manufacturing in the USA and shipped it to Mexico around by 2012. With the new factory in Mexico, quality actually went up on their axles.
I must have missed the quality going up when I was breaking them. Every time we have a plant issue the USA parts don't fail yet the Mexican parts do, but maybe that is just a coincidence...