2500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I am a new owner of a 2017 2500 Tradesman with a 6.4L Hemi Crew Cab. This is my first large truck and I have to say I am in love with this monstrosity and every minute I'm not behind the wheel of it is agony... that doesn't mean I don't have a few questions and concerns.

I know if I wanted to truly off-road the thing I should have sprung for a power wagon or the off-road package or just gone with a 1500 off-road variant but I was curious on the capabilities of the truck I have? I don't intend on rock climbing the thing or drowning it in a swamp but I wanted to know can I take this truck off-road and if so, to what extent is appropriate?

A few mechanical questions as well. I have had the truck sent in for service under the warranty for 2x separate issues. 1. During excessively hard right or left turns you hear (and feel) a decently loud bang from under the driver footwell. Dealer had it for a day or two and said the differential fluid was low (had the truck less than 2k miles) they said they replaced the fluid and could not re-create the noise. On my way home from the dealer I deliberately made harsh right and left turns and yet again the noise presented itself. (Granted I was probably making turns harder and faster than I should be in a truck that size but still) any thoughts?
2nd issue out of the blue at around 4.5k miles on the truck when switching from any gear to reverse there is a noticeable grinding noise. Only happens when switching to reverse, all other gears are dead quiet except for the loud clunk due to it not being that weird dial thing. The dealer had it for a week while that gave me an excruciating Chrysler Pacifica. They told me they couldn't figure out what it was and then they contacted Chrysler Corporate and ran several tests and concluded the noise was a normal noise. I'm telling you the noise sounds anything but normal. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Picture

Here's a picture from the day I got it. Kinda bare bones. Has backup camera and sensors, the stock Firestone A/T's the smaller touch screen, the manual 4x4 shifter, and Chrome appearance package, I'm pretty sure the tow mirrors were standard, I'm not sure. All I've been able to do is throw some Lund RunningBoards on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 57

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Can't help with off roading, not my thing. I can tell you that your stock tires are pretty barebones too.

The banging noise, I would ask that a tech ride with you so that YOU can recreate the noise. I had a similar problem with my old Tundra. The service team advised they couldn't hear the problem, said my tires were too loud, suggested I replace them for $1600. I took a tech with me and was able to hear the noise immediately. Turns out it was a bent brake backing plate that was twisting on turns.

Also, have them listen to the noise from reverse while they are there.

Good luck. I have a 15 and LOVE my truck.

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I had the truck at the dealer already where a tech acknowledged the transmission grinding noise. They held it for a week while running "tests" then just told me Chrysler told them it's a normal noise. I'm honestly thinkIng of taking it to a different dealer.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The popping noise could be a body mount. As far as off road they are very capable. You only limited right now by your factory tires.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you plan on offroading make sure you have the limited slip rear differential. I don't do a lot off road but I can vouch for my truck pushing and pulling a heavy dump trailer at a muddy landfill. It does better than I thought especially with the stock road tires on it.

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If you plan on offroading make sure you have the limited slip rear differential. I don't do a lot off road but I can vouch for my truck pushing and pulling a heavy dump trailer at a muddy landfill. It does better than I thought especially with the stock road tires on it.
Question? Is the limited slip rear differential a must have? I doubt mine came with it being as bone stock as it is and I'm not sure how much that would cost to have put on. I don't plan on off-roading regularly maybe just once every month or couple of months when I go camping or something.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as you have 4x4, don't sweat it off road. The truck, like many other stock 4bys is plenty enough to get you out to the boonies and back.

I have a PW and honestly, the only time I've needed the lockers (other than playing around and testing) was when we were leaving elk camp and I had my 7k+ lb travel trailer in tow and it had been raining for days and the two track we were camping on was complete slop. I locked them in for the 1/4 mile or so until the maintained dirt road. Then off I went.

I know the truck is capable for "hardcore" off roading, but that's really not what I bought it for. I'd rather have and not need, rather than need and not have. That one camping trip, I needed the lockers.

As far as the 2 issues, don't let one trip to the dealer with a bs answer sway you from going back and being persistent. They will eventually acknowledge the issues.

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
As long as you have 4x4, don't sweat it off road. The truck, like many other stock 4bys is plenty enough to get you out to the boonies and back.

I have a PW and honestly, the only time I've needed the lockers (other than playing around and testing) was when we were leaving elk camp and I had my 7k+ lb travel trailer in tow and it had been raining for days and the two track we were camping on was complete slop. I locked them in for the 1/4 mile or so until the maintained dirt road. Then off I went.

I know the truck is capable for "hardcore" off roading, but that's really not what I bought it for. I'd rather have and not need, rather than need and not have. That one camping trip, I needed the lockers.

As far as the 2 issues, don't let one trip to the dealer with a bs answer sway you from going back and being persistent. They will eventually acknowledge the issues.
Thanks I don't really intend on burying the thing in mud anyways maybe just a little bit of dirt and axle articulation over hills and small dirt mounds, I am interested in getting those skid plates because why not they're cheap and easy to install and it's just added protection. there's a closer dealership to me that I wanted to try anyways but I'm going to keep on them about that transmission noise. I just really really don't want to be given another minivan to drive around lol. Those PW's are beasts though I can see why you'd want it.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I had the truck at the dealer already where a tech acknowledged the transmission grinding noise. They held it for a week while running "tests" then just told me Chrysler told them it's a normal noise. I'm honestly thinkIng of taking it to a different dealer.
Obviously the dealer heard something abnormal, so I am not buying Chrysler's explanation that its normal. I would lean on my dealer and request that a rep come out and ride with you. I would take a test drive in your truck, with the noise, and then a truck off the lot. If the truck off the lot isn't making that same noise, then its not "normal" and I would demand they do something.

Good luck.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Question? Is the limited slip rear differential a must have? I doubt mine came with it being as bone stock as it is and I'm not sure how much that would cost to have put on. I don't plan on off-roading regularly maybe just once every month or couple of months when I go camping or something.

Limited slip is an option on the regular trucks. It is different than the lockers on the power wagon. You could have it, it should say on the window sticker i think... 4x4 even without limited slip, is a lot better than 2x4.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks I don't really intend on burying the thing in mud anyways maybe just a little bit of dirt and axle articulation over hills and small dirt mounds,

Back when I was a broke teenager, a couple of us had old late 80's Toyota Corollas. It was crazy the **** we put those things through off road. We'd drive them through fields, two tracks, mud, mountains, you name it. I always think back to that when I compare modern day four wheel drives. If that old Corolla could it, today's truck sure as hell can.

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Limited slip is an option on the regular trucks. It is different than the lockers on the power wagon. You could have it, it should say on the window sticker i think... 4x4 even without limited slip, is a lot better than 2x4.
I checked the Build list Via Rams website using my VIN, my truck is pretty far from bone stock apparently, it's no Power Wagon but it's got like 3-4 pages of optional equipment and packages that were added. It also said I have an Anti-Spin Rear Differential. Is that the anti slip?

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I checked the Build list Via Rams website using my VIN, my truck is pretty far from bone stock apparently, it's no Power Wagon but it's got like 3-4 pages of optional equipment and packages that were added. It also said I have an Anti-Spin Rear Differential. Is that the anti slip?
Awesome.
Yes that is the Limited Slip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Swampfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check and re torque the track bar on that side....mine did that same thing. I got under the truck with it running and had somebody turn the wheel until I could pin point the problem....re torqued and all is well

OP
OP
Kyroptorin

Kyroptorin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Check and re torque the track bar on that side....mine did that same thing. I got under the truck with it running and had somebody turn the wheel until I could pin point the problem....re torqued and all is well
Thanks I'm gunna try that. I've seen that suggested on different forums when I search my problem on the internet. I even suggested that might be the problem and for them to look at it when It went in for service last but I'm pretty sure they just blew me off. It doesn't do it as much anymore but I honestly think I'm just taking corners a little smoother than I did when I first got the truck. When I send it in again for the Tranny I'll have them take a look at that again as well.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
LOL..... OP, your experience with your dealer is by far the single biggest thing that would make me hesitate to buy another Ram.

Here's the service writer training manual:

Step 1: If truck moves and is not on fire repeat the following: "That's normal, they all do that"

Step 2: If truck is on fire and/or doesn't move: Put out fire, make truck move and refer to step 1.

I know Ram generally gives you more for your money than Ford or GMC/Chevy so I suppose warranty/dealer support is something that just falls short. My experience with Toyota, Subaru, Honda, Chevy and Ford dealers is so far superior to what I've received and seen take place with Chrysler/Ram that it's laughable. I have personally been lied to and blown off numerous times. While sitting in the waiting room at several dealers I've seen/heard the same thing happen dozens of times. Your experience is just more of the same.

All you can do is keep on them.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I know Ram generally gives you more for your money than Ford or GMC/Chevy so I suppose warranty/dealer support is something that just falls short. My experience with Toyota, Subaru, Honda, Chevy and Ford dealers is so far superior to what I've received and seen take place with Chrysler/Ram that it's laughable. I have personally been lied to and blown off numerous times. While sitting in the waiting room at several dealers I've seen/heard the same thing happen dozens of times. Your experience is just more of the same.

All you can do is keep on them.
I've had the same experience with Toyota. My Tundra had a problem with the brake backing plate. Between my dealer and corporate, they REFUSED to honor my Toyota Platinum extended warranty. Finally, with help from a forum member on Tundrasolutions, I was able to figure out the exact verbiage to get them to (begrudgingly) fix my truck under warranty. I then immediately traded it in on my Ram.