Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Heavy Duty

Heavy Duty

2500 Snow plow prep group

This is a discussion on 2500 Snow plow prep group within the Heavy Duty forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
I believe you get a "snow chief" sticker if you get that package. It doesn't come with the snow plow ...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #41 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 6.4L Hemi
I believe you get a "snow chief" sticker if you get that package. It doesn't come with the snow plow prep group.

All the more reason to get the snow chief package.

I haven't plowed with my current Ram, but I did plow with my '98 Ram 2500 with a V-10. It pushed plenty of snow with an 8' unimount just fine. I believe it had 2-something gears.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
MN-Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #42 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 2500 Outdoorsman
Engine: 6.4
I'm sorry, I had to bite. I don't normally do this... maybe I'm bored... IDK but do you actually read what you post?
I would think that someone with all of your plowing experience would either already know to stay away from Ram or take your own advice of contacting any plow retailer.

"So....Was I supposed to look into my CRYSTAL BALL and see that this RAM is a P>O>S> to plow with....ALL the other trucks ive owned/plowed with were CHEVYS"

"Bottomline is STILL this RAM is the shittiest plow truck of the 3 big players...Contact any Plow Retailer/Upfitter...They will tell you G.M. & FORD have the market cornered combined with close to 90% of the market...The RAM is in last place by a huge margin"
68PowerWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #43 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 Power Wagon
Originally Posted by SHOOT2KILL View Post
Still waiting for "Danno's" educated response regarding my post #28 in this thread...The info I provided came right from HIS 2016 OWNERS MANUAL...
Sorry, Whats the question? My life got in the way.

Ok, hows following that owners manual working for you... that's my answer but we already know your end result, POS ram correct???
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #44 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 Power Wagon
Originally Posted by SHOOT2KILL View Post
Take a look at page 710 of the 2016 Ram 2500 owners manual...4Low is acceptable for ground speeds under 15 mph...4Hi is recommended for plowing long runs of heavy snow at ground speeds above 20 mph...If someone is ok with plowing $20.00 residential driveways in 4Low so be it...BUT...I prefer to plow commercial lots @ speeds above 20 mph...That way I can knock down $300.00+ per hour...

Bottomline is STILL this RAM is the shittiest plow truck of the 3 big players...Contact any Plow Retailer/Upfitter...They will tell you G.M. & FORD have the market cornered combined with close to 90% of the market...The RAM is in last place by a huge margin
From page 710

General Maintenance
Snowplows should be maintained in accordance with the
plow manufacturer’s instructions.
Keep all snowplow electrical connections and battery
terminals clean and free of corrosion.
When plowing snow, to avoid transmission and drivetrain
damage, the following precautions should be observed.
Operate with transfer case in 4L when plowing small or
congested areas where speeds are not likely to exceed
15 mph (24 km/h). At higher speeds operate in 4H.

• [B]Vehicles with automatic transmissions should use 4L
range when plowing deep or heavy snow for extended
periods of time to avoid transmission overheating.[
/B]
• Do not shift the transmission unless the engine has
returned to idle and wheels have stopped. Make a
practice of stepping on the brake pedal while shifting
the transmission.

So $300 an hour, how much is a transmission???? In a GM or ram????
nukegm likes this.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #45 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 6.4 Hemi
I stopped paying attention when he said Houghton Michigan doesn't get snow. Really, have you ever lived there? They start getting heavy, wet snow in October and it doesn't stop until May.
loveracing1988 likes this.
pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #46 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017 Laramie
Yikes lol. Glancing through the pages, I agree whole heartedly with the point about 4.10 should be the standard gearing on the 6.4 trucks. I also wish Ram offered a 4.56 on the 6.4 like they used to do on the PW. That gearing is what that motor really needs especially with that transmission.

But like I said, I really don’t care if the guy hates his Ram and thinks it sucks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and these trucks arent perfect. Im sure 3.73s and factory tires are not ideal for plowing. And it is known that the transmissions on these have semi half assed gearing for the 6.4. But my point is – he comes off acting like the Ram is a completely useless plow truck and I just don’t buy that. Especially if you get a few options right and put decent tires on it. I agree Ram should just package 4.10’s with the snow chief group,(or standard like I said) but they don’t. So that’s up to you to do your HW if youre interested in the truck. Is it perfect? No. But what really is? The Fords and GMs don’t come with ideal tires for plowing either. I cant think of hardly any vehicles that come with really good tires from the factory other than I guess a Power Wagon. GMs have plenty of mechanical issues and some of the Chevy's have poor FGAWR. Lets just say hypothetically that the new Ford Super Duties were PERFECT trucks in every imaginable way for plowing, youre still going to get bent over every single time at a Ford dealer. Generally, Ram discounts their trucks ridiculously more so than Ford and dealers will usually work with you. At any given time you can get almost $5k off a Laramie 2500 just from Ram without even having to negotiate. Right now in my area Ford is offering…. A whole $1500 off an XL or XLT. Whoopie. And if I walked into a Ford dealership they would tell me how they cant give me shit off because the trucks are so amazing and sell themselves. Yadda yadda. And BTW, even after a redesign, the GMs and Fords can’t touch the interior of the Laramie trucks on materials, visual appeal etc. Ford’s Sync is a pile of shit compared to UConnect. Getting off topic now.

Just fyi,
The guy I knew had a 2010 Big Horn with only a 5.7. I don’t know what gears it had, never asked him.
theviking likes this.

Last edited by mohemipar; 02-17-2017 at 08:46 AM.
mohemipar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #47 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2017
What is this snow stuff you speak of???
Kingsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #48 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015...2500H.D.
New Signature

Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #49 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 Power Wagon
i guess 30 years in the snow plowing business doesnt give you enough common sense to read the build sheet before buying a truck for a specific purpose to make sure it fits your needs.
DannyMK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #50 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015...2500H.D.
Originally Posted by DannyMK2 View Post
i guess 30 years in the snow plowing business doesnt give you enough common sense to read the build sheet before buying a truck for a specific purpose to make sure it fits your needs.
LOL...They don't give the 6spd transmission gear ratios on the build sheet...BUT...If I did see the POORLY ENGINEERED 1-2 shift ratio I would have re-considered the purchase...Again...WORST ENGINEERED PLOW TRUCK ON THE MARKET...J.M.O.