2500 stuck in 4th gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cgrant726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2016 2500 6.4L Big Horn CC. Warning light came on, truck downshifted into 4th gear, and won't come out. Luckily was right near my house. Waiting on dealer to come tow and drop off loaner. Anyone else have this issue?

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
Which warning light(s) did you see?

Sounds like a sensor on the engine went **** and put you in limp home mode. There are a number of faults that will cause a fixed gear reaction like that. If you have a OBD reader, the DTC codes will tell more.

OP
OP
Cgrant726

Cgrant726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The check engine/transmission. I don't have a reader. Dealership just loaded up to take in. It's really irritating. 6 months old. 11k miles.

Attachments

• IMG_2925.jpg
    IMG_2925.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2924.jpg
    IMG_2924.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That happened to me too, it would launch in 4th and stay there, even after power cycling the engine. The tech ended up putting a new solenoid kit in it and it fixed. Apparently they have seen it before where the solenoids go bad in the valve body. Not a huge deal, until it goes bad. Mine had just a couple thousand miles at the time. With all the thousands and thousands of those things that they make, there are bound to be a few bad eggs, your warranty will cover it.

OP
OP
Cgrant726

Cgrant726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You were correct. Solenoid was bad, they replaced. Thanks

pjcodner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well crap. It happened to me a while ago. I was right near the dealership. I took it in and they reset the code so I could go home. Brought it in a few days later so they could look it over and of course they didn't find anything. They applied 4 updates to the transmission and it has been fine ever sense. They tole me it was a low voltage issue to something in the transmission that caused it to go into limp mode.

I will be sure to let them know if it happens again to check the solenoid.