2.5" SL Spacers or Thuren Coils/Shocks On My New 2016 2500 6.4 MC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey Guys,

New owner of a 2016 2500 Big Horn MC with 6.4 Hemi and I wanted to get some info from the gurus here prior to making mods to my new 800 mile truck. I want to level the front but I can’t decide which route I want to go – simple Superlift 2.5” spacers and shock relocation brackets or go a bit further with Thuren coils (2” or 3”) and the Overland shocks? I want it level, or with just the slightest rake on the frontend, so the SL 2.5” spacer option fits my height requirement perfectly. I’m afraid the Thuren 2” won’t be enough and the 3” will be too much, but really, it’s just ½”, right? I’ll most likely run the factory Firestone tires until they’re well worn, or I find a smoking deal on some 35’s or 37’s (might not like the mpg loss with the factory 3.73 gears and 37’s but I do like the look!), but either way I want to keep the factory 18” Bighorn wheels. I have no plans of jumping the truck off desert dunes or getting aggressive with it at all, which makes me think just doing the spacers would be fine, BUT I do envision having this truck for a long time (this one is replacing a 1997 Chevy Z71 that I bought new!), so spending approx. $400.00 more for the Thuren stuff wouldn’t be that big of a deal over the supposed life expectancy of the truck.

All that being the case, what do you guys think I should go with? I’m leaning towards getting the Thuren stuff, but I also don’t like the idea of the axle not being properly located without buying more suspension-related parts to correct it, and/or having to add said parts when the truck gets more mileage on it ($330 adjustable front track bar for trucks over 20k miles…). And just so everyone knows, my decision to use the SL spacer kit, if I actually go that route, is based on the research I’ve done recently and the detailed Youtube install video posted by briansmobile1.

I know it “costs to ride the train” but I thought I’d get some input before making a firm decision. I’ve got an install quote for $240.00 which would be the same for either choice I want to use, so no difference there, just trying to decide what to install!

Thanks in advance for the advice/feedback!

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Thuren springs and shocks are higher quality than the OE and take less time to install than spacers. This shouldn't even be a question. 2" springs to level.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Go with the thuren obviously. I would go with the 3" they will probably settle about .5 inches

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Thuren all day long over spacers. The ride quality and overall setup will be much better with Thuren springs and shocks over a 2.5" spacer kit.

In regards to the track bar comment you made either the Thuren kit or the spacers are going to shift the front differential to the driver's side of the truck. The spacers aren't any exception to that if that's what you're thinking.
I would recommend Thuren's adjustable track bar if you do want to get it centered as it's better than the stock one any way and will give you the ability to adjust the front differential to be perfectly centered.

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey Guys,

New owner of a 2016 2500 Big Horn MC with 6.4 Hemi and I wanted to get some info from the gurus here prior to making mods to my new 800 mile truck. I want to level the front but I can’t decide which route I want to go – simple Superlift 2.5” spacers and shock relocation brackets or go a bit further with Thuren coils (2” or 3”) and the Overland shocks? I want it level, or with just the slightest rake on the frontend, so the SL 2.5” spacer option fits my height requirement perfectly. I’m afraid the Thuren 2” won’t be enough and the 3” will be too much, but really, it’s just ½”, right? I’ll most likely run the factory Firestone tires until they’re well worn, or I find a smoking deal on some 35’s or 37’s (might not like the mpg loss with the factory 3.73 gears and 37’s but I do like the look!), but either way I want to keep the factory 18” Bighorn wheels. I have no plans of jumping the truck off desert dunes or getting aggressive with it at all, which makes me think just doing the spacers would be fine, BUT I do envision having this truck for a long time (this one is replacing a 1997 Chevy Z71 that I bought new!), so spending approx. $400.00 more for the Thuren stuff wouldn’t be that big of a deal over the supposed life expectancy of the truck.

All that being the case, what do you guys think I should go with? I’m leaning towards getting the Thuren stuff, but I also don’t like the idea of the axle not being properly located without buying more suspension-related parts to correct it, and/or having to add said parts when the truck gets more mileage on it ($330 adjustable front track bar for trucks over 20k miles…). And just so everyone knows, my decision to use the SL spacer kit, if I actually go that route, is based on the research I’ve done recently and the detailed Youtube install video posted by briansmobile1.

I know it “costs to ride the train” but I thought I’d get some input before making a firm decision. I’ve got an install quote for $240.00 which would be the same for either choice I want to use, so no difference there, just trying to decide what to install!

Thanks in advance for the advice/feedback!

Wow! Same thing I am going through right now! I was holding out for the springs. Supposed to ship Dec 24th

JeepN77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I actually had the same question when I did mine. I wanted to level out the front and swap out the shocks. I ended up doing a BDS leveling kit with Fox 2.0 shocks. Roughly 800 miles on the truck when I installed them. They are longer and I replaced all 4 shocks to longer ones. I'm now looking at ICON front coils because I do not like the spacers at all. They snap on tight turns in a parking lot. I installed them properly and I know they are correct. I do a lot of towing and with the truck dead level with the kit the rear end drops just a hair towing. I ended up adding a 1" spacer to the rear to fix the issue. It did take a while and some trial and error, but I love the new stance of the truck. Still noticeably level, and I can tow my trailer. I have since readjusted my headlights due to the level. No issues there. Truck rides a lot better and even my GF notices the difference. Not quite as jarring on bumps as it was stock. I love the Fox 2.0s and they are probably one of the best mods I have done for the money. I wasn't planning on spacing the rear but I kind of had to with towing as much as I do. All and All it worked out really good. Just had to open the rear of the truck up to put them in.

The spacers were a good quick fix with shocks for me, but now I'm looking at new front leveling coils and possibly an adjustable track bar. I'm going to try just the new coils first. Hope this helps. Good luck with it, keep us updated on what you decide to do.

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So now that I read this I am wondering if I shouldn't go with their 3 inch coil. I had my other Ram with a slightly higher rake in the front also That is the look I like

OP
OP
moonshinexxx

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for all the detailed input, Guys! I'm going with the 3" coils and Overland shocks for now! I'll be sure to post before/after pics when the install is completed!

ramessesII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had spacers and then went with the Thuren coils and track bar eiwth Overlander shocks. It is a very big difference. I wouldn't recommend spacers to anyone. With the Thuren setup, you will really open up the capability and handling of your truck.

OP
OP
moonshinexxx

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
UPDATE - ordered the 3" coils and Overland shocks from Cody at CJC yesterday! Looking forward to getting a shipping notification!

OP
OP
moonshinexxx

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
UPDATE #2 - They've shipped from Thuren and should be here 11/29/16! Ya'll probably don't care, but I'm excited!

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ordered mine yesterday from Thuren. Still haven't shipped but hopefully soon. If I was smart I would have done this last week and would have had 4 days to get it on and everything set!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are making me jelous! Make sure u post up how you like it afterwards.

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 3" coils shipped and will be here Wed. Hope to install Friday night. Got the Overland shocks and track bar also. I am having troubles deciding on a A/T 35" tire. What's everyones thought if you don't mind me asking?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
My 3" coils shipped and will be here Wed. Hope to install Friday night. Got the Overland shocks and track bar also. I am having troubles deciding on a A/T 35" tire. What's everyones thought if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a big fan of Toyo Tires. I've ran a few sets of them and have been very happy with the performance and lifespan. The Toyo AT2's would be a great choice in my opinion.

bigtim1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Where's the cheapest place to buy the Thuren kit? I'm looking to do the coils/trackbar/shock kit. Thanks.