4wd down: Come have a laugh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RidingDonkeys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I need to get me one of those Mitsubishi Eclipse cars. They go places my Ram just can't handle.

Bought this a week ago at 17k miles. Towed a 16ft enclosed at about 7k lbs across the country to California and arrived last night. Today I made a wrong turn, tried to turn around, and sunk.

4wd wouldn't engage. It finally lit up, but it was clear that the front wheels weren't getting power. Service 4wd System message came up. High or low was no use. After several attempts from several trucks, we finally got me out. Now 4wd is still illuminated, but it is still clearly in 2wd.

Needless to say, I'm slightly baffled.
27f389d843fe61ea8dd58c4ba8513561.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Electronic shift 4x4 or lever?

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That trim level would have electronic knob shift. It sounds like there is an issue with the axle actuator.

I have the manual shift lever and a few times had to switch back to 4x2 to make a tight turn. The axle doesn't like to engage or disengage quickly with wheels at full lock in my experience.

I was checking out a buddies land via power line access trails and was surprised how well the Transforce tires did climbing muddy wet grass hills.

Hope you get it figured out, looks like a pretty embarrassing place to get stuck.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
"After several attempts from several trucks, we finally got me out"

That is the funniest thing in this post.

You could have just got out and pushed it out.
OR drove forward..

Something doesn't look right... is the other side buried?

OP
OP
RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
That is precisely the humor. I never should have been stuck. A few guys from the local area came to help. We all got a laugh. Forward, reverse, digging, boards, pushing, nothing worked. The front never got power either. Definitely a mix of mechanical failure and bad luck.

The big issue was the angle, the cliff, and having nowhere to tie off to. A few half tons tried and failed. We we're bringing in a backhoe when a one ton dually stopped to have a tug. He had enough mass to jerk me out.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol, how much crap did you catch from the non ram drivers [emoji23]. That sucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I get out to the truck today, and suddenly it decides it is in 2wd after telling me all day yesterday that it was in 4wd while the front driveshaft was spinning freely.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's ok - Last winter guy had a brand new ford that he just got lifted at a 4 wheel parts store - It was dumping snow and he just left it in the middle of the intersection cause he couldn't get the 4x4 to engage - it happens - Just get it fixed. We have all been there.

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
cummins trucks get stuck real easy-1000 lb motor-i got stuck on wet grass and had to be pulled out by a F150-got pretty good ribbing for that!

Obxram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Google
Engine
5.7 hemi
Center axle disconnect or what ever ram calls it. Jeep went away from it years ago still in shock that ram uses it on its 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Center axle disconnect or what ever ram calls it. Jeep went away from it years ago still in shock that ram uses it on its 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
Jeep will be getting it back with the new JL platform, Ford has autolocking hubs, and chevy has a disconnect just like the rams. For highway driving it is good for a 1-2 mpg gain. For every truck that has issues like his there are 100,000 that never have a problem.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I wonder if they make a disconnect delete kit for the 9.25 like they do/did for the Jeep D44 axles. My google-fu has come back empty

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I'm actually glad it has CAD as hard as the damn cardan joint is to lubricate every oil change.

This last oil change I was maybe able to get half a pump in with the grease gun needle adapter after nearly an hour of fighting with it. :superhack: