4wd whine when coasting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntntruk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a new Ram 2500 and just got my foes experience in the snow where 4wd hi was used at highway speeds. I noticed that while coasting I had a sound that was similar to what a bad wheel bearing would sound like. A groan or whine. It was most evident while coasting but could also be slightly heard at speed under load. Is this normal? My 1500 didn't have a similar sound.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not sure why its making that sound... but if you are fast enough to be coasting on the highway, you probably shouldn't be in 4wd.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I heard it in mine last winter- Not sure what it is. - I don't have a dealer near me so I just chalked it up to normal 4x4 noise for now. But I remember hearing it while not under a load coasting.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I have heard it in mine from time to time and think it is just the transfer case noise from the chain drive and the low viscous fluid it uses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntntruk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
@spoon059. You never let off the gas while in 4wd? Haha I'm not sure how often you use 4hi but my truck can stay in 4wd for consecutive days this time of year when the weather is bad. I know when I need to use it or not. 2wd is useless with the lake effect and hills we have.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm glad to know guys use it lIke that. Mine gets used on the job and at the landfill but it only snows like once every 2 or 3 years in ga.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bah- I run 70-80 Mph with mine in 4 High- It does fine- But like said above prolly just a transfer case noise. I rode in another 6.4 yesterday, Had him engage his 4x4 - Same noise.. he couldn't hear it.. I could though. So not gonna worry about it

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is a normal noise thanks to the infinite wisdom of rams choice in suppliers. If you ride in a slightly older truck with a New Venture transfer case there is zero noise, with these new borg warner transfer cases we have a worse low range and noisy 4wd.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

huntntruk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It is a normal noise thanks to the infinite wisdom of rams choice in suppliers. If you ride in a slightly older truck with a New Venture transfer case there is zero noise, with these new borg warner transfer cases we have a worse low range and noisy 4wd.

Interesting. I work with some former NVG engineers. I will have to talk to them about it. It was sad when they left town.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Interesting. I work with some former NVG engineers. I will have to talk to them about it. It was sad when they left town.
3 of the guys I work with have older Cummins trucks. A 06, 07.5, and a 04, none of them have the noise. In fact the owner of the 06 was a Chrysler tech for 20 years and he is the one who told me to go in and have it checked out.

mikesskidoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just noticed my 2011 1500 tradesman whining when decelerating and coasting in 4wd, never noticed it before? it is silent when under power, only makes noise coasting or slowing down...its got 40,000 miles on it... normal or? not super loud, if the radios on you cant really hear it very well....

OP
OP
H

huntntruk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Still getting this noise. Sounds like a groaning sound when there is no load on the driveline during 4wd. I do get a slight noise when under load but I can accept that as normal 4wd noise.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My Jeep used to do that. I really just think it's normal for a slight whine from the t-case.

Of course, once I switched to mud tires, it was kinda hard to hear anything but a loud whine or hum.

I can't really notice any whine from my 2500 when in 4wd over the noise of my tires and radio. If I ever did, THEN I think something would be wrong.

danh63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Used my 4wd this weekend and heard it. Sounds like normal transfer case noise to me

OP
OP
H

huntntruk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Used my 4wd this weekend and heard it. Sounds like normal transfer case noise to me

I called the service department and spoke to a tech. He knew exactly what I was talking about and assured me it was normal noise. He offered to go for a ride to see if there was something else going on but I decided to just monitor it for now and if it changes or gets worse I will address it. The 4wd works fine otherwise...too good in fact sometimes. I noticed it crow hops a lot easier than my 1500. I know to not use 4wd on dry pavement but even on an icy/snowy parking lot if i make a tight turn it gets upset and starts to hop. I guess its another "big truck" thing.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is by far louder than any other trucks I have ever ridden in or driven. If I can hear it over my tires I know it is loud.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Been noticing the whine as well in 4WD. This is the second year with the truck, so not the first winter, but last winter was not existent, so I am not surprised if I never used the 4WD system on any roads where I ran higher speeds, where you tend to hear the noise.

Anyways, I will chaulk it up to normal noise with a solid front diff....I think it is the diff vs. the chain case.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Been noticing the whine as well in 4WD. This is the second year with the truck, so not the first winter, but last winter was not existent, so I am not surprised if I never used the 4WD system on any roads where I ran higher speeds, where you tend to hear the noise.

Anyways, I will chaulk it up to normal noise with a solid front diff....I think it is the diff vs. the chain case.
The axle bit style or independent has nothing to do with it.