6.4 2500- A different perspective

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Most of these 6.4 threads turn into a 6.7 vs 6.4 battle. But, my perspective is different. Not everyone wants/needs to tow a 10-13000lb TT or 5ver at 70-75 mph uphill to prove their manhood! I still think those guys are nuts. Some of them even brag about it. I want shorter, lighter, more maneuverable. Yes, size does matter :D

My perspective…..2500 6.4 vs a half ton truck for towing and hauling. Like the Tundra. HD half ton unless you get the F150 with the heavier package.

I currently have an 18ft TT that’s 3850 dry, maxes at about 5000lbs. So tongue weight 500-750ish depending. If I want to haul my 02 Yamaha 660 Griz that's about 800, add wifey and myself and that maxes payload . Throw in the dachsund and I'm over max!

Compare a Tundra double cab sr5 to a 2500 crew cab 6.4 tradesman feature for feature and with the rebates, deals, etc. You can get into the RAM for the same, maybe even less. The Tundra has 2” more bed space but only 1500lb payload. RAM has 2900 payload but only has a 6’ 4” bed what?!?!?!?!?

I want bed space, don’t need 4 doors and don’t want a land yacht, I want maneuaverabilty so I decided on a regular cab. I want to be able to haul my atv with the tailgate closed, pull my TT and not be over weight. Tundra payload is 1900lbs on a reg cab but they quit making it for 2016…what?!?!?!?! Plus it was only a plane jane model.

The 6.4 RAM fits nicely for guys like me that want to stay under 20ft for a TT and want to actually use the bed of the truck for more than a bicycle and a BBQ while towing.

I have no need for an oil burner that would cost me an additional 7 grand. Plus, if I want to sell the TT and go with a camper the 6.4 in the reg cab gives me almost 1000lbs more payload! Also, I keep my rigs for years, don’t drive many miles so I’ll be buying the lifetime maxcare for 2200bucks. Can’t get that on the oil burner.

The 6.4 RAM with 4.10’s is getting better mpg’s than the 5.7 Tundra (which has 4.30's) also and I’ve read better than 5.7 3.55 Hemi’s guys are towing with.

EcoDiesel could maybe be nice but again payload is about the same as my Toyota Matrix! RAM missed it there IMO. Give us a HD half ton ecodiesel with say 2000lb payload!!

Anymore these half ton trucks, other than the Tundra, are cars with a bed on the back instead of a trunk.

peace

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Regular cab 8ft bed Rams are tough to find on the lot, and even tougher to find it with 4:10s. When I bought my reg cab 3500DRW 8 foot bed it was extremely tough to find. I could only find 2 within a 100 mile radius that had the 6.4, and I got stuck with the 3:73s, which gives me a **** poor low 12,500# tow rating on a one ton dually, crazy. 4:10s should be standard on the HD gas truck or at least with the 6.4L!

What I found even dumber is they make a short box dually with a 4 door cab, just as you said its a car with a big trunk. But a short box dually is one of the silliest configurations out there.

If you want a reg cab 6.4L with 4:10s you will likely have to order it.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Pretty much all half tons need to have there rears springs beefed up IMO, seems like everyone is worried more on how they ride then what they can haul or tow.
I had a 75 chevy heavy half that would haul as much as most of these 1 tons these days.

OP
OP
Snyd

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For towing only 5,000 lbs. The F150 Ecoboost and GM 6.2L would run circles around the 2500 6.4L and Tundra 5.7L and get better fuel mileage doing it.

How each truck handles the weight is a different story. That is where an HD truck outshines a half ton any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Run circles around??? That's a silly statement. Details please.

MPG's... I disagree. I know guys that have Tundras. max of 10 towing TT if lucky more like 8-9. 15-17 empty hwy. 6.4's are doing all that in a 3/4 ton truck. Agrees with online "real world" testing. I won't buy a gbmnt motors truck, plus I just don't like the trucks and you have to get a loaded one to get the 6.2 anyway.

I've always liked Ford trucks. I sold them in the late 80's up to 95. I was sadly disappointed when I drove the EcoBoost and 5.0. Not only in drivability/feel but also interior ergonomics. Not interested in the new aluminum trucks either.

But all this is moot because of the lack of payload.

OP
OP
Snyd

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Regular cab 8ft bed Rams are tough to find on the lot, and even tougher to find it with 4:10s. When I bought my reg cab 3500DRW 8 foot bed it was extremely tough to find. I could only find 2 within a 100 mile radius that had the 6.4, and I got stuck with the 3:73s, which gives me a **** poor low 12,500# tow rating on a one ton dually, crazy. 4:10s should be standard on the HD gas truck or at least with the 6.4L!

What I found even dumber is they make a short box dually with a 4 door cab, just as you said its a car with a big trunk. But a short box dually is one of the silliest configurations out there.

If you want a reg cab 6.4L with 4:10s you will likely have to order it.

Yup. I ordered one last week. Just got my VIN today and status is all parts are available. No build date yet.

SLT Reg Cab 4x4 4.10's with a few options.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Run circles around??? That's a silly statement. Details please.

MPG's... I disagree.

The details are in the links I posted.

Sorry, but a stock Ram 2500 6.4L(or 6.7L Cummins) that is almost 3,000 lbs heavier is not going to beat those times or get better MPG towing 5,000 lbs. The Ford Ecoboost and GM 6.2L were almost getting the same fuel economy towing 10,000 lbs than some 6.4L owners get unloaded and those two trucks unloaded MPG is way better than what you will get with a Cummins unloaded. That is the downfall of a heavy HD truck regardless of what engine is in it, but on the flip side they handle weight better along with being able to handle more weight. The downfall of a half ton is that it cannot handle weight as well or as much weight, but they have better performance, better fuel economy, and a smoother ride.

Last edited:

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Most of these 6.4 threads turn into a 6.7 vs 6.4 battle. But, my perspective is different. Not everyone wants/needs to tow a 10-13000lb TT or 5ver at 70-75 mph uphill to prove their manhood! I still think those guys are nuts. Some of them even brag about it. I want shorter, lighter, more maneuverable. Yes, size does matter :D

My perspective…..2500 6.4 vs a half ton truck for towing and hauling. Like the Tundra. HD half ton unless you get the F150 with the heavier package.

I currently have an 18ft TT that’s 3850 dry, maxes at about 5000lbs. So tongue weight 500-750ish depending. If I want to haul my 02 Yamaha 660 Griz that's about 800, add wifey and myself and that maxes payload . Throw in the dachsund and I'm over max!

Compare a Tundra double cab sr5 to a 2500 crew cab 6.4 tradesman feature for feature and with the rebates, deals, etc. You can get into the RAM for the same, maybe even less. The Tundra has 2” more bed space but only 1500lb payload. RAM has 2900 payload but only has a 6’ 4” bed what?!?!?!?!?

I want bed space, don’t need 4 doors and don’t want a land yacht, I want maneuaverabilty so I decided on a regular cab. I want to be able to haul my atv with the tailgate closed, pull my TT and not be over weight. Tundra payload is 1900lbs on a reg cab but they quit making it for 2016…what?!?!?!?! Plus it was only a plane jane model.

The 6.4 RAM fits nicely for guys like me that want to stay under 20ft for a TT and want to actually use the bed of the truck for more than a bicycle and a BBQ while towing.

I have no need for an oil burner that would cost me an additional 7 grand. Plus, if I want to sell the TT and go with a camper the 6.4 in the reg cab gives me almost 1000lbs more payload! Also, I keep my rigs for years, don’t drive many miles so I’ll be buying the lifetime maxcare for 2200bucks. Can’t get that on the oil burner.

The 6.4 RAM with 4.10’s is getting better mpg’s than the 5.7 Tundra (which has 4.30's) also and I’ve read better than 5.7 3.55 Hemi’s guys are towing with.

EcoDiesel could maybe be nice but again payload is about the same as my Toyota Matrix! RAM missed it there IMO. Give us a HD half ton ecodiesel with say 2000lb payload!!

Anymore these half ton trucks, other than the Tundra, are cars with a bed on the back instead of a trunk.

peace

I bought my 2014 2500 6.4 4x4 new. I wanted the quad cab with an 8' bed to haul my atv and tow my travel trailer. I was disappointed that we could no longer buy the 2500 in a quad cab so I settled for the crew cab.
As far as gas vs. diesel, I put a pencil to it and with the $8,000 diesel option, the additional maintenance costs, and higher fuel prices I decided I could never get my money back over the cost of the 6.4 .

Most friends with the diesel seldom use it for anything but the family car. With that said I still believe if you want a diesel-buy one. From a dollar and cents perspective it just wasn't for me.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Glad I am not the only one who wants a 2500 QC . kinda surprised you cant get one any longer.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
As far as gas vs. diesel, I put a pencil to it and with the $8,000 diesel option, the additional maintenance costs, and higher fuel prices I decided I could never get my money back over the cost of the 6.4 .

Most friends with the diesel seldom use it for anything but the family car. With that said I still believe if you want a diesel-buy one. From a dollar and cents perspective it just wasn't for me.

This was not a diesel versus gas debate. It was an HD (and Tundra) versus other half ton debate.

If you want to continue the gas versus diesel debate then this is a good thread to go to. Post number 161 might interest you since it talks about the extra costs that you are talking about.

http://www.ramforum.com/f158/diesel_vs_gas-79501/index17.html

Edit: On second thought after reading the original post again, it is riddled with diesel versus gas comparisons so carry on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snyd

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The details are in the links I posted.

Sorry, but a stock Ram 2500 6.4L(or 6.7L Cummins) that is almost 3,000 lbs heavier is not going to beat those times or get better MPG (maybe the Cummins) towing 5,000 lbs. The Ford Ecoboost and GM 6.2L were almost getting the same fuel economy towing 10,000 lbs than some 6.4L owners get unloaded and those two trucks unloaded MPG is way better than what you will get with a Cummins unloaded. That is the downfall of a heavy HD truck regardless of what engine is in it, but on the flip side they handle weight better along with being able to handle more weight. The downfall of a half ton is that it cannot handle weight as well or as much weight, but they have better performance, better fuel economy, and a smoother ride.

From the above article.... "Our request here was simple: We asked each half-ton truckmaker to send us a two-wheel drive (to save some weight) with a crew cab to represent the heart of the market. Each player would need to be equipped with whatever max-tow package and features might be needed for multiple towing exercises, and it needed to be packaged as close to $51,000 as possible."

A Tundra DC 4x4 regular bed weighs 5480.
RAM 2500 6.4 reg cab 4x4 long bed weighs 6401, add about 1000 lbs for CTD
RAM 2500 6.4 crew cab 4x4 short bed weighs about 6800

So, there's not 3000lbs difference. Only 1000-1500 depending on exact models.

I really wanted to buy a Tundra. I think they're great trucks and I could get past less mpg's than other 1/2 tons. But other 1/2 ton mpgs are with standard, higher gear ratios. 5.7 Tundras all have 4.30's. But, I need atleast another 500lbs payload.

Like I said... I have a different perspective on this and after literally 2 years of research I determined that the RAM 6.4 2500 is a viable alternative to a 1/2 a truck. :D

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I've always liked Ford trucks. I sold them in the late 80's up to 95. I was sadly disappointed when I drove the EcoBoost and 5.0. Not only in drivability/feel but also interior ergonomics. Not interested in the new aluminum trucks either.

I'm hearing bad reviews for the ecoboost too, especially when the weather gets cold. They get terrible fuel mileage in the winter. I have a friend that got rid of his 5.0 F150 and got the ecoboost, took him a month and he wanted his old truck back. The owner of my LGS had a 3rd gen ram hemi 1500 that he really liked except for the mileage. He had a poll on facebook asking opinions of the ecoboost ford and ecodiesel ram. He went with the ford for payload because he tows a bumper hitch trailer to gun shows. Now he says he'll never buy an ecoboost again.

The little twin turbo v-6 ecoboost is quite an engineering marvel to get reliability AND power out of a production boosted engine. It just isn't quite as spectacular as they had hoped. When you think about it gas engines need a constant A/F ratio or they burn up. Boosting just creates extra displacement which takes extra fuel. With gas engines more horsepower needs more displacement and more fuel.

I'm alright with the mileage of my '11. Most of the time unloaded I can get somewhere in that 15-17 mpg range. The 5.7L Hemi with 4.10 gears is no slouch either. Real world mileage of the 6.4 isn't much, if any, better than the 5.7. If you tow you're never going to be in 4cyl mode anyway. 4cyl is rare on highway too since big trucks lack aerodynamics. It takes a certain amount of power to push a 6000 pound pig through the air. I'm convinced that for occasional light to moderate towing and hauling the 5.7L Hemi in a 2500 is the best bang for the buck.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Weight for a 2500 CC seems a bit light. Granted mine is an optioned Laramie with a hard tonneau cover but weighed just over 7200 lbs last time I had it on the sales.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Weight for a 2500 CC seems a bit light. Granted mine is an optioned Laramie with a hard tonneau cover but weighed just over 7200 lbs last time I had it on the sales.

My old '06 2500 4x4 5.7L RCLB weighed in at 6300# with me in the seat. It depended on the scales whether or not I had to remove the spare tire to pull 6200# street stock(they allowed 100# over). I think the 6800# number is pretty close for that configuration. The extra seats can't add that much weight. I should run my ccsb across scales sometime to find out just so I know.

OP
OP
Snyd

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Ya it's less than a 1000 lbs difference in weight. I checked my numbers and it looks like 805 heavier with the CTD.

MANual_puller makes a good point about the 5.7 with 4.10's in the 2500 also. Raises the question of is the $1495 for the 6.4 worth it. 6.4 is a medium duty engine, perhaps it will last longer? Remains to be seen. Develops torque/hp 1000rpms lower. Has a longer powertrain warranty which if one is buying a lifetime warranty it's moot. This is an "each to his own" choice it appears. I figured is worth the extra.

As a couple others mentioned. I too would like to have seen a quad cab instead of crew cab in the ram. And give is the 6' 8" bed like Ford, or at least 6' 6" like Toyota. Even the extra 2" can make a difference in being able to close the tailgate with a quad in it.

Oh, and while you're at it FCA.... build a HD truck plant in the USA like Toyota!!!

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If pulling weight as fast as possible up the Ik was the most important factor when buying a truck we would all be driving Duramax.

OP, 2500 gas is a great choice when picking a truck that need to haul family, a small TT, and a quad in the bed and not overload the payload. As stated a little longer bed would have been nice. I could close the tailgate on the F150s I had with my Grizzly in the back.

Ecoboost pulls well, but eco isn't really it's strong suit. Mine with 3.73 got about 1-2 better than my 3.73 6.4. My friend has a 5.0 f150 and gets almost exact same MPG as my EB did. Heck, the Explorer Sport with EB we had only averaged about 16 mixed.

I never got to tow real heavy with EB, but the lack of engine braking was apparent even unloaded going trough the Black hills. It was kicking down 2-3 gears to hold speed with cruise set. I did grab the old man's old 3 axle toy hauler quick just to prove him it could. I haven't see that much sky through a windshield since I had a full bucket of road base dumped in the old '67 F100.

Back when I bought my F150 I only went Ford because they offered a 6.5' bed in a half ton crew cab, Ram didnt.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
From the above article.... "Our request here was simple: We asked each half-ton truckmaker to send us a two-wheel drive (to save some weight) with a crew cab to represent the heart of the market. Each player would need to be equipped with whatever max-tow package and features might be needed for multiple towing exercises, and it needed to be packaged as close to $51,000 as possible."

So, there's not 3000lbs difference. Only 1000-1500 depending on exact models.

I really wanted to buy a Tundra. I think they're great trucks and I could get past less mpg's than other 1/2 tons. But other 1/2 ton mpgs are with standard, higher gear ratios. 5.7 Tundras all have 4.30's. But, I need atleast another 500lbs payload.

Like I said... I have a different perspective on this and after literally 2 years of research I determined that the RAM 6.4 2500 is a viable alternative to a 1/2 a truck. :D

And my point still stands that the top engine stock half ton trucks like the Ford 3.5L EB, GM 6.2L, or even Ram 5.7L will run circles around any stock HD or SD(regardless of engine) towing just 5,000 lbs and would definitely get better fuel mileage doing it regardless if you disagree or not. On the flip side, an HD will handle the weight much better than any half ton. That is the price we all pay. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

For the weight you tow, you don't even need a three quarter ton, but if you want one then by all means you don't have to tell me why other than you just wanted one. It is your money and I ain't going to judge you.

Also, according to that challenge, the Tundra had the worst payload, the worst performance numbers loaded and unloaded, and the worst fuel mileage towing than all of those other "cars with beds".

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
As a couple others mentioned. I too would like to have seen a quad cab instead of crew cab in the ram. And give is the 6' 8" bed like Ford, or at least 6' 6" like Toyota. Even the extra 2" can make a difference in being able to close the tailgate with a quad in it.

Yeah, put a toolbox in and see how much room is left! Not much at all! I can still pull a gooseneck trailer although I did lose some maneuverability not being able to cut as hard. 5th wheel is a no-go with the toolbox. I wanted a CCLB but the price was right on this one. Wasn't in the market to buy new and get to check all the little boxes I wanted to. The tiny box is the only gripe I have with my truck, that and it's an automatic but we don't even get that choice in a gas engine anymore...........

Attachments

• KIMG0190.jpg
    KIMG0190.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
Snyd

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
SouthTexan... None of those trucks in the review in a 4x4 can haul an 800lb atv in the bed AND handle 500-750lbs of tongue weight, passengers, some stuff and NOT be over payload! That review is moot for this discussion. If this were only about towing 5000lbs with a 4x2 then I'd stick with my current tow rig.... 1988 Chevy Van. I replaced the 305 with a 350 built up, exhaust, etc. Van has a TH 400 and 3.73 gears. Tows the 5000lb trailer fine, on long steep grades I drop to second and hold 45 to the top, no prob. But... I can't take my 4 wheeler with me and low and behold a $40-50,000 1/2 ton truck can't handle the job either!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963