6.4 antifreeze smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Interesting cause mine smells like antifreeze after it's been running and is off. I did notice my coolant temp on digital screen it fluctuates when driving to Pittsburgh but I chalked it up as the -6* weather and tstat opening and closing. I'll have them look into it when I go get coded for heated seats

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well dealer pressure tested for a few hours and said it didn't lose pressure. Said 32 ounces in 18000 miles is no big deal. I'm hoping whatever is leaking gets worse so they can find it and fix it. I may bring it to my regular mechanic just to see if he can pinpoint the leak.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Well dealer pressure tested for a few hours and said it didn't lose pressure. Said 32 ounces in 18000 miles is no big deal. I'm hoping whatever is leaking gets worse so they can find it and fix it. I may bring it to my regular mechanic just to see if he can pinpoint the leak.

Stupid question, did they actually pressure check the cap separate from the degas bottle?

I have probably lost maybe 8-12 ounces in 25K miles and have notice an occasional dried and flaky coolant residue sometimes around the degas bottle cap area.

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Stupid question, did they actually pressure check the cap separate from the degas bottle?

I have probably lost maybe 8-12 ounces in 25K miles and have notice an occasional dried and flaky coolant residue sometimes around the degas bottle cap area.

Funny I thought this exact thing tonight. As bad as is smells and no more then it leaks it could definitely be the cap . Not sure if they tested it. They tested pressure on system and made sure it wasn't getting into combustion chambers.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Location of the degas bottle and cap just happens to be right in front of the windshield cowl where the fresh air intake for the HVAC is located. If that cap is venting, I bet that is where your smell is coming from.

Depending on how much you value your time, might be dollars ahead just to buy a new cap and see what happens. At this point, I would not trust the dealership techs to give you a straight truthful answer if you asked them if they checked the cap for pressure.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm going to try this, mine is hit or miss and I have a feeling the dealership will tell me the same thing. Still going to take it in but if I don't get answers I'll try it

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I've had my 6.4 since 17 December 2013. Since then I've added a gallon of antifreeze to it. I have just over 70,00 miles on it. I have always smelled antifreeze in the engine area since I bought it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just checked my oil when I got gas earlier today and got the usual big whiff of anti-freeze. I've never added any but don't really look very often. I have oil changes and the dealer and am wondering if they'd tell me if they did. In the end I don't really care since I have the Lifetime warranty. I'd almost be excited if something really expensive broke and got replaced.... as long as I don't get stranded somewhere.

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not sure how mines doing. I landed some subcontractor work in a friend of mines factory getting them caught up and helping their employees see what work ethic is all about. I've been driving the wife's accord (30mpg vs 14.). I'm driving about 100 miles a day vs her 10. Ill probably check the reservoir this weekend.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
My trucks hood insulation has been stained white since I got it in october of Sept of 2015. Didnt tgink much if it. Just checked my antifreeze level and it is at the minimum level. This frustrates me. Guess I will have it checked out soon. I also noticed some white stains near reservoir. Not sure if cap is leaking or not. Bottle had no residue on outside that I could tell. Smh

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wasn't there a tsb a while back about antifreeze smell because of the radiator hose composition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wasn't there a tsb a while back about antifreeze smell because of the radiator hose composition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read that but my dealer acted like they didn't know what I was talking about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio