6.4 being pulled out of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well after 15,000 miles of knocking upon startup my 2016 6.4 engine is going to be pulled out, and diagnosed. I'm betting I get a new engine but we'll see.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine has rattled/knocked really bad three or four times at start up now, I'm going to try and get a video of it. I was hoping it wasn't going to be a big deal, my truck only has 8500 miles on it, I'm thinking I need to take it to the dealer soon if it keeps happening. I'm curious to hear what they find with your motor.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Sorry to hear this guys. Did your trucks do that from day 1 or when did that start? My truck has always been quiet even during very cold starts, except for some slight drive belt squeak I'm hoping will go away as the truck breaks in (600 miles)

I'll be very interested to see what they find or what the cause is. Good luck.

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry to hear this guys. Did your trucks do that from day 1 or when did that start? My truck has always been quiet even during very cold starts, except for some slight drive belt squeak I'm hoping will go away as the truck breaks in (600 miles)

I'll be very interested to see what they find or what the cause is. Good luck.

Mine started around 5000 miles

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine just did it for the first time a week ago, so around 8K miles. The first time I heard it I had started the truck with the door open and I heard it clatter like there was no oil pressure for 5-10 seconds. It's only done it once or twice since then, the last time I heard it with the doors closed. I also noticed blue smoke coming from the tailpipe one of the times I started the truck this last week. My oil has about 5K miles on it, I used the recomended oil when I changed it as well as a mopar filter and the oil level is normal. With mine only doing this very sporadicly I really want to get a video of it before I go to the dealership, that way when they can't reproduce the problem I'll at least have video proof to show them.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine has only done that for 5-10 seconds a couple times, but that's what it sounds like. I'm taking video everytime I start it in case it does it again. I hope mine was somehow a fluke and that it never does it again.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Man that stinks. Only thing I have had is some lifter pump up sound very intermittently. It sure didn't sound like that just more of a chatter sound.

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah that's not good. :( Sure the dealer didn't upgrade you to a Cummins? Sorry... I really wanted to go there!

Oh how I wish I would've spent the extra on a Cummins 3500

GUNNOE20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good luck with the engine... they pulled mine at 19k and replaced the long block... now half the oil seals are leaking including the rear main... so it's going to get pulled again. My engine is still loud on start up and will knock if you put the truck in gear without it warming up a bit. I'm with you on the diesel... soon as I can afford to I will own another cummins or duramax.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Mine was replaced at around 3400 miles.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Wow that was bad, knock on wood I'm not having that problem, yet.