6.4 being pulled out of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I only looked at a couple

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Piston slap, saw the pistons today and they are worn on the sides.

That must have been some pretty severe piston slap. What did the rings look like? Any signs of a lubrication issue? Would be interested to see the pistons/damage if you could get a picture.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Piston slap, saw the pistons today and they are worn on the sides.

Wow, not good. I dont recall your mileage but i don't believe it was a lot. Hopefully mine is more solid andi hope this replacement is for yours also.

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I think this is the first I've heard of this type of problem.

A.carlisle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm glad i am not the only one having this problem. I have had my truck to the dealer for the same sound. I even recorded it and sent it to my salesman who showed it to the service manager. He called me within seconds of watching it to bring the truck in and leave it. The typical could not reproduce sound, but they did open a star case with Chrysler so if something does go bad it has been recorded.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm glad i am not the only one having this problem. I have had my truck to the dealer for the same sound. I even recorded it and sent it to my salesman who showed it to the service manager. He called me within seconds of watching it to bring the truck in and leave it. The typical could not reproduce sound, but they did open a star case with Chrysler so if something does go bad it has been recorded.

Keep us updated. I mentioned it in my introduction post, but I'll mention it again. My PW did this around the 3k mile mark. It first started after I towed a TT for the first time with it. It wasn't a heavy load by any means, but after that is when the noise first appeared. It began to make the noise with regularity when cold started at night. I work night shift, so one of my commutes is always at night. The noise was so predictable I too had multiple videos of it on my phone. The noise on mine was definitely more prevalent on the passenger side. This was all while on the original factory oil. After the truck was in for its first service around 7k, the noise never reappeared. I've towed with it several times since up some decent grades; from desert up to the pines here in AZ, running 5k RPM in second gear and the truck never broke a sweat or made the noise again.

If it does reappear, it's going in.

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well my engine was supposed to arrive today, now Chrysler is saying June 2nd.

Not a happy man.

GUNNOE20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's crazy for you to have to wait that long
... mine was down for a month and I thought that was BS....

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
i have my fingers crossed!

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My truck did the rattle again on start up last weekend, it took at least 30 seconds to clear up and of course I didn't get a video. I'm hoping I can leave my truck parked for over 24 hours this weekend to see if it does it again, and get a video this time.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's fawkin wild! Almost two months without our truck is ********.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's something like 30 days or more in the shop for lemmon, no?

OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's 30 total days. This is the fourth time my truck has been in for an engine knock, and this time has been 3 weeks already. I'm already well over a month with another month plus to go.

I just want my damn truck fixed and I want it back. Even a buyout is going to cost me money I don't have to get into another truck.

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you have a pretty strong case, but I've never had to deal with that. I peruse the tacoworld forum quite a bit because I used to have an older taco. Now I just go there to read about all the 3rd gen Taco problems. Now there's a truck with some serious issues.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Call the BBB. They offer free lemon law assistance and will help you through the process. Very easy. I lemon'd two F150's this way.

After receiving my third new F150 it took all of 3 days to pull in to a Ram dealer to trade that P.O.S. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
omfg just got off the phone with Ram, they told me no more rental after 15 days. Guess what today is?