The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I picked mine up last Saturday and love this truck. It is amazing how nice the interior has improved in just 3 years.

tlucier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nice truck snapper! I had a 2008 that was really close to the same color. It's an awesome paint color.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Thanks tjfdsesmo! Not sure where in AZ your located but I'm looking at heading out that way to Lake Havasu City early next year to pick up a YJ Wrangler with my 20' gooseneck trailer. Hope it pulls well all the way back to the right coast.

I'm in Wickenburg.

jpro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Our trucks could be twins, except mine is a tad longer with the mega cab. I have loved this color for some time. My 2011 Ram sport was the same color

Beautiful truck! I love my Mega :favorites13:

mikeysotp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 - 4.10s Baby!
Hey, I'm officially a loser. I read every post on all 201 pages of this thread. Took me a couple of nights but I did it. I am looking to order my 3500 6.4 soon but I have a question. Is there any way around the detuning on the mega cab? If not, is it really an issue since you still get the full torque? I'm not looking to race the thing but I don't want to drive a dog either.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey, I'm officially a loser. I read every post on all 201 pages of this thread. Took me a couple of nights but I did it. I am looking to order my 3500 6.4 soon but I have a question. Is there any way around the detuning on the mega cab? If not, is it really an issue since you still get the full torque? I'm not looking to race the thing but I don't want to drive a dog either.

It is not detuned, it is the same output but the rating you see is at a different rpm than the others are rated at for sound reasons with that particular cab configuration.

mikeysotp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 - 4.10s Baby!
It is not detuned, it is the same output but the rating you see is at a different rpm than the others are rated at for sound reasons with that particular cab configuration.

So you are telling me that if I put that truck on a dyno I would see 410 and not 367? I can't imagine they would advertise a lower power number if it isn't accurate.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So you are telling me that if I put that truck on a dyno I would see 410 and not 367? I can't imagine they would advertise a lower power number if it isn't accurate.

It is accurate to that rpm. And you wouldn't see either of those numbers on a dyno.

mikeysotp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 - 4.10s Baby!
It is accurate to that rpm. And you wouldn't see either of those numbers on a dyno.

Yeah, I understand that, brain fart on my part. You could put it on an engine dyno though. I think you get my point. Crew cab and mega cab are going to give a completely different result.

Are you saying it is just a rev limiter. If so has anyone found a way around that?

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It does have to do with how the engine is programmed..1 tons are usually tuned for lower rpm to increase longevity of the motor hence the lower hp rating...but those numbers they advertise are at the crank not the rear wheels so a mega would dyno different than a crew but on an engine dyno they should by rights come up with similar numbers

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I understand that, brain fart on my part. You could put it on an engine dyno though. I think you get my point. Crew cab and mega cab are going to give a completely different result.

Are you saying it is just a rev limiter. If so has anyone found a way around that?

It will spin to the same rpm and make the same power, they are litterally the same engine and programming. The only reason they market a different number is because of how it has to be rated. You could drive a crew and a mega back to back and notice no difference in power besides the added weight of the mega cab.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
1 tons are down-"RATED", because of DOT regulations and cab noise levels. There is no difference in the engine, programming, or power output.

Not all 1 tons are down rated, only the mega cabs per Rams web site. I did test drive a 3500 srw mega back to back with the 3500 srw I ended up buying, and didn't notice any difference.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My mistake i was thinking of the chassis cabs with the aisin tranny..limited to 4660 rpms according to allpar

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Has anyone had any issues with the mufflex kits or high flow mufflers? Im mostly worried about codes and emmissions..id like a high flow muffler but im not sure if it will affect the emmissions sensors

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a Magnaflow catback on mine and it's fine. As long as you don't touch anything upstream of the cats with the O2 sensors you'll be fine. Mufflex is after the Y pipe.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
And what if i replace the cats too? If im replacing the exhaust id honestly like to make it flow as best as possible and its gonna be the first thing i actually change on the truck

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And what if i replace the cats too? If im replacing the exhaust id honestly like to make it flow as best as possible and its gonna be the first thing i actually change on the truck

Why? What are you going to gain? Maybe 5hp? No one has tried that yet, I would assume that you will throw codes for that. A tuner can disable to downstream o2 sensor more than likely. If anything throw the mufflex kit on it and replace the crushed sections of pipe that form the y pipe and you will be good to go.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
More for the thought im polluting the environment more lol jk [emoji14] but im just trying to make sure that if i replace this stuff and void the warranty its not gonna **** with anything else..id rather do it right the first time which is why im wondering if the cats are worth a ****...im gonna need them regardless because i live in ny

It has little to do with power gains..its mostly just a start to my mods..i plan on doing all the standard "go fast" mods before i lift it or any of that and this is the one id like to do first..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye