The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Watch out, from what I can see, the factory exhaust on the 6.4 is 4"!
Not sure that many people carry / sell anything for that!

Magnaflow actually carries 4" in almost every style, they also carry an XL line too for bigger trucks. The shop I stopped at in Austin is renowned for their service, price, and custom work. He had several in stock with several different options to chose from.

Don't have to worry to much about things rusting out around here, if we keep going like we have been we'll be lucky just to see rain.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Magnaflow actually carries 4" in almost every style, they also carry an XL line too for bigger trucks. The shop I stopped at in Austin is renowned for their service, price, and custom work. He had several in stock with several different options to chose from.

Don't have to worry to much about things rusting out around here, if we keep going like we have been we'll be lucky just to see rain.

Keep us posted! If you do decide to change out the muffler please take some before and after video.

Just a reminder. When you get a chance could you post the part numbers of what parts were replaced with your oil leak?

Olli

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Keep us posted! If you do decide to change out the muffler please take some before and after video.

Just a reminder. When you get a chance could you post the part numbers of what parts were replaced with your oil leak?

Olli

Ok, here you go guys. Hopefully this never happens to anyone else, but here's the parts list from the invoice showing what was replaced.

I spent a good bit of time on a creeper yesterday evening, surveying the oil cooler to ensure all still looked right with the world. It's definitely in a tight spot to work on, oh and while washing yesterday I realized I was missing a right front lug nut. Apparently the wheel was removed to do the repair and the nut was either missed or not tightened and I pelted some poor car behind me when it flew off! Regardless, another trip to my dealer this morning for a nut.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 127

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the part numbers.

Go back to your dealer. According to the invoice the servicing dealer put 5W20 oil in!!!!!

Olli

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the part numbers.

Go back to your dealer. According to the invoice the servicing dealer put 5W20 oil in!!!!!

Olli

Well ****! Thanks Ollie, not sure how the hell I missed that but your absolutely right! Great, now that I've driven almost 1000 miles with the wrong oil in it.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since the 5W20 is in there anyway you should take note of what the oil pressure is with it and then VS the 0W40.

Olli

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since the 5W20 is in there anyway you should take note of what the oil pressure is with it and then VS the 0W40.

Olli

Ill let you know in just a few, leaving the dealer now with a fresh pot of 0-40!

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok, so far oil pressure is significantly higher at idle and at highway speed with the correct oil. With the wrong oil, idle pressure was around 23-25 and 53-55 at speed. Now its looking like 28-30 at idle and closer to 60 at speed.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh man. Sorry to see you go through all of this.

You got your lug nut too, right?

At about this point, I would be running in there kicking **** over while yelling like this: :sparta:

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so far oil pressure is significantly higher at idle and at highway speed with the correct oil. With the wrong oil, idle pressure was around 23-25 and 53-55 at speed. Now its looking like 28-30 at idle and closer to 60 at speed.

I'm glad that you have the right oil in there now. It sure makes a nice difference in pressure but the good thing is that the 5W20 wasn't too low either.

Olli

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not to go WAY off base and sound like a ****** here, but I would think the difference in oil pressure was based more on engine temps than viscosity rating. The lows aren't that far apart, IMHO.

Sure, I would prefer to have the proper grade in there, but just rolling down the highway for a few hundred miles, I can't see anything to be concerned with. I would be pissed that they didn't put the right stuff in, but not worried about long term effects.

OK, make me look foolish for posting that. :idiot:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm joining the 6.4 club. I went to several dealers to look at the 6.4 in the past couple days, and finally found one I like. 2500 crew cab tradesman 3:73 gears, in granite crystal.

I was shocked at the differance in discounts from dealer to dealer. Some wouldnt budge off sticker and only give the $3000 rebate where some would give ya another 3g's on top of the rebate.

Should be picking it up Tuesday or Wednesday. I have to take the plow frame and wiring harness off my GMC first. And its stupid cold here, have to see if a friends shop is available.

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok, I've driven around all afternoon and here is the end result. So the idle pressure is still around 30psi. At speed pressure has leveled out around 53psi which is roughly the same as the wrong oil. I agree with you Brakelate, I truly don't think driving 1000 miles with 5W-20 is going to harm the engine. However, even the service writer agreed that the 6.4 tolerances required the 0W-40 and over time would make a difference. He noted the discrepancies and at least I'm covered.

Not going to lie, my salesman and I made a lap through the parking lot looking at CTD trucks this morning. Had there been one identical to what I have, I might have traded. I like the Hemi and I'm gonna stick with it. However, one more hiccup and it's likely GONE!

5punksdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 SRT10
Engine
Viper 8.1
ok......so I placed my order. 3500 (same price as 2500) ram single rear wheels, 3:73s, 6.4, Laramie less some BS options I don't need/ wont use (ie sunroof).

a couple of questions while I can still modify my order.

#1 is the cargo area camera able to be viewed while the truck is in motion??? or is there a safety feature where the truck must be in park?

#2 the paint "prairie pearl"......does anyone have it and if so can I get you to post a pic here? The dealer brochure shows it one color and the dodge website shows another color. I chose silver because the dealer couldn't tell me which color it would be for sure. Silver is ok with me, but my last 2 trucks were silver and I am looking for a bit of change. Can't have black, live on a gravel road.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take a look at Max Steel as a color. Looks terrible in the brochure but looks awesome in person. That is what I ordered I liked it on my wife's '14 Durango R/T so much.

Olli

Jonthefireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Take a look at Max Steel as a color. Looks terrible in the brochure but looks awesome in person. That is what I ordered I liked it on my wife's '14 Durango R/T so much.

Olli

I agree Olli, saw one on Saturday and I too was very impressed. Great color in person.

cubscory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree with Olli and fireman, the Ma Steel is sharp…….Unfortunately, I always go with white to match my company fleet. If it were not for that, I would have ordered Max Steel on my recent order. But, yet another white one coming for me.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Ok....My deal with dealer # 1 fell thru. I was looking at a 2500 6.4 with 3:73 gears in granite crystal. They gave me one price, and when I went to look at it again, the price changed.

Oh well there loss. I should be picking up my 6.4 3500 SRW 3:73 gears in flame red tomorrow evening at dealer # 2. Best part, I got a better deal at the 2nd dealer.

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!