The 6.4 HD Hemi Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I will say I would tow with it but I am the kind of guy who does not tow crazy heavy things I think the Eco diesel would be enough to handle my needs most times although I am sure I would push it sometimes like I do the truck I have now. An Eco diesel Power Wagon might be cool if they could tune it to handle the weight right. Okay back on topic lets see some more of these sweet 6.4L.

$miley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Like that thing hooked up to a meaty trailer or maybe doing some flexing.

$miley

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Can't let this slip to page 2....

Would it be possible for the mods to make a seperate sub-forum for Hemi powered 25/3500 trucks?

I am looking at getting a Ram HD and even though I was originally looking at the Cummins (I have had 2 F250 diesels and right now I drive a '12 F150 Ecoboost) I am leaning towards the 6.4L Hemi in a 2500.

My towing needs are relatively modest. I have a couple of "toy" cars that each weigh about 23-2400 lbs. One is a Factory Five Hot Rod the other is a Factory Five Mark IV Roadster (Cobra). Originally I was planning on getting a 40' enclosed gooseneck to tow both cars. That had me looking at the 3500 with the Cummins. BUT it looks like I will be sticking with my 20' enclosed (it has a sloped front and a reduced height) and just tow one car. Total weight is only around 5500 lbs. I will only be towing less than 6 times a year and most times at less than 300 miles distance. When not towing the truck will be my DD. I am retired so I drive less than 10,000 miles a year. To me the 6.4L Hemi makes sense.

A few weeks ago my wife took delivery of a '14 Durango R/T. LOVE the 5.7 Hemi and that 8 spd ZF tranny is unreal. The MDS is completely seamless in operation. The Hemi also just makes the most unbelievable sounds. It is making me a Dodge /Ram convert.

I am looking at possibly getting a 2500 4x4 crew Laramie 6.4L Maximum Steel monotone. I am undecided about getting the rear air suspension. My dealer has pretty much the exact truck right now on the lot except that it has the cab steps and not the wheel to wheel steps, it has the convenience group option that I don't want. My price, after incentives would be $46K. OR I could order in EXACTLY what I want.

Does anyone have more experience in regard to what sort of fuel mileage you are getting? I am hoping for 16-17 hwy ( when keeping the speed at no more than 70mph) and 13-15 in city. That is pretty much what my Ecoboost gets.

Looking forward to hearing more 6.4l experiences!!

Olli

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just want to add something about why a 2500 when I am only towing 5500lbs. I looked really hard at the 1500. Yes, it can tow 5500 lbs. The issue with the 1500 is that it doesn't have any payload capability once it gets configured into a higher end CrewCab. e.g. Laramie 4x4 1,230lbs to be exact isn't much payload.

Here is what I came up with approx. 550lbs of tongue weight alone leaves me with only 680 lbs of payload. I usually put a cap on my trucks, so that is an easy 200-250lbs. Now I'm down to 430 lbs and I still need to add myself, wife and son. If we are going away for the weekend there still needs to be some luggage added. The 1500 just doesn't work.

Olli

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
^legally anyone haha. I would totally get a 2500 if money is no issue and you tow a lot. Just makes sense.

$miley

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Can't let this slip to page 2....

Would it be possible for the mods to make a seperate sub-forum for Hemi powered 25/3500 trucks?

I am looking at getting a Ram HD and even though I was originally looking at the Cummins (I have had 2 F250 diesels and right now I drive a '12 F150 Ecoboost) I am leaning towards the 6.4L Hemi in a 2500.

My towing needs are relatively modest. I have a couple of "toy" cars that each weigh about 23-2400 lbs. One is a Factory Five Hot Rod the other is a Factory Five Mark IV Roadster (Cobra). Originally I was planning on getting a 40' enclosed gooseneck to tow both cars. That had me looking at the 3500 with the Cummins. BUT it looks like I will be sticking with my 20' enclosed (it has a sloped front and a reduced height) and just tow one car. Total weight is only around 5500 lbs. I will only be towing less than 6 times a year and most times at less than 300 miles distance. When not towing the truck will be my DD. I am retired so I drive less than 10,000 miles a year. To me the 6.4L Hemi makes sense.

A few weeks ago my wife took delivery of a '14 Durango R/T. LOVE the 5.7 Hemi and that 8 spd ZF tranny is unreal. The MDS is completely seamless in operation. The Hemi also just makes the most unbelievable sounds. It is making me a Dodge /Ram convert.

I am looking at possibly getting a 2500 4x4 crew Laramie 6.4L Maximum Steel monotone. I am undecided about getting the rear air suspension. My dealer has pretty much the exact truck right now on the lot except that it has the cab steps and not the wheel to wheel steps, it has the convenience group option that I don't want. My price, after incentives would be $46K. OR I could order in EXACTLY what I want.

Does anyone have more experience in regard to what sort of fuel mileage you are getting? I am hoping for 16-17 hwy ( when keeping the speed at no more than 70mph) and 13-15 in city. That is pretty much what my Ecoboost gets.

Looking forward to hearing more 6.4l experiences!!

Olli

Here is what I got when towing some things when I first got mine.

Here is my input. I have a 2014 2500 4X4 CC and I have ran a few tanks of fuel thru it so far. I am at 900 miles on it in just over a week. On mid grade fuel with ethanol that's winter grade, I am averaging about 11mpg. On 91 octane fuel without ethanol I am getting 15mpg. Big difference there. But the non ethanol fuel is ¢. 40 more per gallon. Not sure on the benefits of the gains yet. Haven't took a trip yet, all my miles have been on city, backwoods, and some 4 lane highways here in the mountains of West Virginia.

On the power. Well yes it does have a lot of get up an go. The Ford 6.2 can't even compete. And well, the Chevy/GMC 6.0 isn't even worth mentioning. When you punch it. Yes even with the traction control on it will break the tires free very easily. And when the traction control is off, wow. Lets just say it will do donuts in a heartbeat. "WORD OF CAUTION HERE" if you are on wet roads, do not turn off the traction control and then punch it. Lol. It's a handful... And will go sideways and spin around on you in a blink of an eye.

On towing. With a 12,000lbs load got right at 10mpg. No squat in the rear and I had about 800lbs of tongue weight.

I am using a class V hitch with a 6" drop to level our my trailer. It is capable of 2,000 lbs tongue weight and 18,000 lbs towing weight. I t is also a 2 ½ reliever instead of the 2". That way I do not have to use the 2" to 2 ½" adapter. You also have to get different balls. The pin on the hitch is 1 ½" instead of 1".

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) via taptalk...

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice.

With my F150 Ecoboost I can only get 10 mpg towing my 5500lbs. enclosed car trailer @ 65 mph. When that engine gets into the boost it guzzles fuel. It runs hot too (all that boost) water temps will go to 225+ in a heart beat when climbing a grade while towing that trailer. Trans. temp is almost always 198-200 towing or not.

I will be going to the dealer 's lot tomorrow to take a look at the 2500 that I mentioned in my previous post.

Olli

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have the tubular bars on mine and love them. And what is it on the convenience package you don't like. The only thing I really wished I would have gotten would be the back up camera and remote start. This winter has been hell, that's for sure. I have the tradesman in all black.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Oh, maybe the 8.4 radio with the Internet and the upgraded interment cluster with the bigger display screen.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Same here. I am gonna get a heavy duty brushguard when I get my income tax back. Lol. And it will be black. Still not sure on one yet. I want one that's able to take a large deer/horse hit. Lol.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Same here. I am gonna get a heavy duty brushguard when I get my income tax back. Lol. And it will be black. Still not sure on one yet. I want one that's able to take a large deer/horse hit. Lol.

We have alot of Moose up here and that would come in handy!! no free roaming Horses to hit though haha. maybe some lost cows.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Lol. The only ones I Have seen that can take a hit are the full offroad bumpers. And I really don't want to spent $1,500+ on it.

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
The airbags would be a great addition. If you can get them, I'd go ahead and get them.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Donelam,

What I don't really care for with the Convenience Package is the automatic high beam control and the rain sense wipers. And that is what comes with that package. I could put that $400. towards other options...Not a total deal breaker, it just isn't an option package that I would really want.

Does your truck have the towing mirrors? That is another option that the truck on the lot doesn't have. I am on the fence about that as the towing mirrors negate the power fold.

Your truck looks great! And that average mpg sure looks good!

Olli

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I have the power heated towing mirrors. They aren't the power folding mirrors. I love them. I could r imagine towing a big trailer or camper with the regular mirrors. It would be a pain. You would have to get the attachments to slip on the end to extend your view out. Which personally I think is ugly.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just want to bring attention to the very specific oil requirements of the 6.4 Hemi.

It requires 0W40, that meets Chrysler spec MS-12633. The same as the SRTs. Not easy to find.

Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 meets the spec. (Chrysler is partnered with Pennzoil). My local dealer carries it. And you can find it on Amazon or buy it direct from Pennzoil on line. It is supposedly hard to find on a store shelf.

Mopar (re-packaged Pennzoil Ultra ???) 0W40 part # 68171066GA.

There is a Mobil 1 0W40 but I could not find in writing that it meets the Chyrsler MS-12633 spec.

Olli